Question About a Bit of Redneck Engineering

So I have a PTR91 GI with the heat shieldless slim handguard. Still waiting to get a wide handguard one way or the other but in the meantime I have the stock one that get uncomfortably hot after 40 rounds or so.

I was pondering buying a OD slim handguard that has a heat shield but I'm wondering if I could do a bit of Redneck Engineering to save myself the money. The heat shield is just a strip of Aluminum inside the handguard so could I just not roll up tinfoil into a solid bar and put that inside to create the same effect? I'm not planning to be fighting any Partisans any time soon, just shoot 100 rounds at the range without burning my hand,

Would this serve as a good enough improvised solution for the time being?

How much room do you have between the inside diameter of the handguard and outside diameter of the barrel? If i were you i would take a short trip to lowes and buy some "frost king pipe insulation tape". Thatll do ya, if itll fit.

• Like 1

There is an interior wall building material, and right now the name escapes me perhaps someone will know, that is thin and metallic on one side with insulation on the other.

Maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick.

It is what I used. Dont have any more or Id know the name.

shinny side towards barrel

put your one white glove on the other hand biggrin.png

I actually was reminded by that I have white thinsulate-lined suede gloves i use for winter times at work, those would probably work well and the G3 has that enormous trigger guard like a Saiga that accommodates gloves.

Still, if there were a method to insulate the handguard so I'm not wearing insulated gloves in a  rather warm [though well ventilated as I never get soot-snots as I've heard is common from indoor ranges] indoor range. 

Anyway you try to use aluminimumium to line the fore end it is going to end up looking like crap.  Dorky.  Have you considered having fun learning up on what other heavily insulated front end types would adapt to your cool blaster?  What about 10 mag dumps getting ALL the zombies?  Or you can use a big fat thick welders mitten.  :)

• Like 1

Anyway you try to use aluminimumium to line the fore end it is going to end up looking like crap.  Dorky.  Have you considered having fun learning up on what other heavily insulated front end types would adapt to your cool blaster?  What about 10 mag dumps getting ALL the zombies?  Or you can use a big fat thick welders mitten.  smile.png

I only have 6 mags currently, pretty uneasy about what will become of them after we end up with a Banshee in Chief as I'm not the Molon Labe or "Shovel and Shut-Up" type. I guess the mags aren't the issue so much as if she somehow manages to outright ban semi-auto mag fed long guns. Maybe if things are still safe after the election I'll shell out the exorbitant 15 dollars for 5 more 

The one place that sells HK parts says they'll have more OD Wide-Style hanguards by the end of the year so with my luck i'll get my rifle looking the way i want just in time for it to get run over by a steamroller or me ending things on my terms and giving the pair of them a viking funeral.

Edited by JDeko
  • Like 1

put your one white glove on the other hand biggrin.png

I actually was reminded by that I have white thinsulate-lined suede gloves i use for winter times at work, those would probably work well and the G3 has that enormous trigger guard like a Saiga that accommodates gloves.

Still, if there were a method to insulate the handguard so I'm not wearing insulated gloves in a  rather warm [though well ventilated as I never get soot-snots as I've heard is common from indoor ranges] indoor range. 

I was going to suggest some physical work to build calluses and toughen your hands. nothing.gif

My grand daughter also must take some care doing 25 round mag dumps with "HER"  "Maxine Max Blast", the name of "Her" 16" Saiga 7.62x51.  The muzzle tends to rise.  Remember, Zombies are smart and will purposely attack in close masses, intent upon your blood and body.  Not good. :)

• Like 1