Sign in to follow this  
XD45

Rusty Korean Mags

I just got the 6 Korean 20 rounders I ordered from CDNN.  All are new in packaging.  All have rust.

Just a head's up in case any of you are tempted by the $7 price as I was.  I'm not getting bent over this.  As long as they work.

Besides the rust they will barely lock into some of my AKs.  I will have to give them a couple of swipes with a file to get them to fit properly.  Again, I knew I was buying Korean mags so I can live with that.  Better than too loose like the Bulgarian 40 rounders I bought a while back.

post-4831-0-90777100-1490846489_thumb.jpg

post-4831-0-77999900-1490846510_thumb.jpg

The RP the Koreans use for overseas delivery is notoriously inadequate for corrosion protection. Evidently they are still working on it.

Edited by Spacehog

Have had to fit every Korean 20rder I've gotten, doesn't matter the AK. Dependability has been hit or miss, watch for internal rust. Do really miss the Romanian 20rders, got a dozen back in the day. Prefer to have 20rder in the Ak, especially the pistol versions. Got a few Magpul's 20rders for  around $10 during holiday season. Been reliable.

It looks like just surface rust. Can you just hit 'em with a wire wheel, treat them with rust preventer and spray them with Krylon paint?

Not sure what you'd do if the spring was rusty, though.

Ruffian72, on 30 Mar 2017 - 12:32 AM, said:

Have had to fit every Korean 20rder I've gotten, doesn't matter the AK. Dependability has been hit or miss, watch for internal rust. Do really miss the Romanian 20rders, got a dozen back in the day. Prefer to have 20rder in the Ak, especially the pistol versions. Got a few Magpul's 20rders for  around $10 during holiday season. Been reliable.

The Hungarians with the heavy canvas pouches?

I kick myself for only buying 3 sets with the pouches from AIM when they were $20 a set. Sold each set for $90/ea a few years back when I decided to consolidate to all ((10))'s.

• Like 1

Surface rust I don't mind.  Bought a bunch of used Romanian AK47 30 rounders a few years ago.  Busted rust, sanded and gun kote / alumihyde them.  Worked like a champ.  Oiled and put away for a rainy day. 

Little bit of rust can save $$$$ - Please bring back 'rusty romies' !

The Hungarian 20's are the tits!

I tried loading a couple of the mags and found both would bind at 19.  Careful pressure straight down could get the 20th round in but it took finesse.

I took the mags apart and found the follower skirts slightly bent inward, and was hitting the spring base.  After bending them out slightly the mags load to 20 as they should.

post-4831-0-74491800-1490929561_thumb.jpg

post-4831-0-99723100-1490929580_thumb.jpg

Fixed

post-4831-0-54248200-1490929599_thumb.jpg

• Like 2