Finally....IT'S MIIIINE!!!!!

Well after debating whether to get one online for $50 cheaper than my local shop, and with some advice of some of you guys to go with the shop. I decided to support my local gun store and bought from him. So a NIB 16"-7.62x39 came home with me today!!! :D Damn it feels good to finally get one. OK, so now a few questions if you don't mind. What pre first-shot procedure do you recommend, just swab out the barrel and check for excessive grease in the action? One more thing, in the bottom pic I included, I know what the brush is for, but what about the other 3 things and empty bottle. Sorry if these questions seem "noobish", but that's exactly what I am when it comes to this rifle. It's my first center-fire :blush: .

Edited by 22_Shooter

(1) The empty bottle is for gun oil.

(2) The tool above the oil is for front sight elevation adjustment tool, flat head screw driver for the handguard screw. This tool has to be use in conjunction with the tool on the right that has many cut slots in it. The tool with many cut slots in also use for opening up the gas tube lever.

(3) The tool look like a puch is for driving out two pins in the bolt the hold the extractor and the firing pin.

Edited by devildog1122

Just remember that if you have to adjust for windage it is done at the front sight post. You'll either need a tool or some people have suggested just tapping it with something (rock, small hammer, whatever is handy). A small c-clamp might work.

I bought a sight adjustment tool. This is an example of what I'm talking about and you use it on the circular area on the left or right side of the front sight block.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=368914

Hope that helps.

Congratulations on your new rifle!

I'd run a bore snake through it, make sure there's no extra grease (mine didn't have any) and load her up! I usually put a couple of drops of GunButter on the bolt carrier, but it doesn't take a whole lot of lube.

We'll all be waiting when you're ready to start your conversion! ;)

Jim

I'd run a bore snake through it, make sure there's no extra grease (mine didn't have any) and load her up! I usually put a couple of drops of GunButter on the bolt carrier, but it doesn't take a whole lot of lube.

Jim

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure of what needed to be done before I take her out for the first time. About the conversion, that is a definite. But it will probably be awhile for 2 reasons: 1) Money. I plan on buying things one at a time to be easy on my wallet, lol. 2) I want to get familiar with it before I attempt it, I'm no technical wizard and I don't have a whole lot of tools. But a conversion is definitely in my rifle's future.

I'm no technical wizard and I don't have a whole lot of tools. But a conversion is definitely in my rifle's future.

Come on...I'm 3/4 retarded and I still managed to pull it off

Hahahahaha. I'm only 1/2, so I guess I'm set.

Jim

Same here, I have a .223 brush, field stripped the rifle, gave it a shot of bore scrubber from the breach and gave it a quick clean...

Don't forget to annihilate the paper the rifle was wrapped in :haha:

Same here, I have a .223 brush, field stripped the rifle, gave it a shot of bore scrubber from the breach and gave it a quick clean...

Don't forget to annihilate the paper the rifle was wrapped in :haha:

LOL, yeah, I thought that wording was pretty funny too.

OK, so it came with the cleaning rod, and I know you're not supposed to run it from the muzzle end on my .22, is it the same for this rifle? If so, how does one run it from the breach? Is there some sort of bore guide?

you just have to watch you don't smack the crown on the muzzle.. A .30 cal bore-snake will work too, you can pop it in from the breech and pull it out via the muzzle, if you're scared of dinging the crown get a rod that isn't metal, or is a soft metal.... I think you should be fine with the rod it came with though.

Edited by MD_Willington
you just have to watch you don't smack the crown on the muzzle.. A .30 cal bore-snake will work too, you can pop it in from the breech and pull it out via the muzzle, if you're scared of dinging the crown get a rod that isn't metal, or is a soft metal.... I think you should be fine with the rod it came with though.

Yeah, I got the .30 cal one, it worked, but it was tight as hell. I had to wrap the end around my hand and pull really hard to get it through. Hopefully it will get easier to pull through after awhile.