First Saiga 12 conversion - wanted to make sure I have everything

I am not new to firearms and have quite a few AR15 builds, but this would be my first Saiga build. I wanted to make sure that before I order, I had everything I needed and wasn't lost along the process due to missing parts.'

This is what I have in my 'cart' at Carolina Shooters Supply:

Ace Skeleton Stock (8.5 length) - What length do most of you use?

Internal Receiver Block, Stock Adapter Tapped Side Holes

AK/Saiga SAW Pistol Grip

AK/Saiga Grip Screw and Bushing Set

Tromix Saiga Fire Control Group

Tromix DIY Trigger Guard

Saiga/AK Build Screw Set

Trigger Group Hole Plugs

I know that I do not have a folding mechanism, as I do not feel that I really will ever use the rifle without the stock. Am I missing anything, or does anyone have any suggestions? As I said, this is my first time, so I am open to any thoughts.

Thanks!

The Tromix FCG comes with a retaining spring and its fairly easy to install just follow the CSS vid step by step and you should be good. Im sure you've read through that "Step by step conversion thread" and perhaps many others they all say after you shave down the trigger guard rivets to drill them through with a 3/16 bit, well sometimes its hard to tell the exact middle/center of the rivet without other tools, when the whole area is sanded down with a dremel. If I may suggest:

After Im done sanding down the TG rivet heads on the outside of the reciever, stick a flat screwdriver on the inside of the reciever place it right on the rivet and hit it with a hammer lightly. It will pop right out :) rather than drilling through them. Its faster and more safe on drilling in the wrong place, through the reciever.. dont ask me how I know this.. :unsure:

I believe you forgot to add a recoil pad for the stock, you will need it. As for the length of stock its all personal preference usually taller people prefer longer, I think most of the people are using the 8.5 for the ACE stock plus recoil pad adds more length. Once again my personal opinion, but I think DPH stock looks better than ACE works with same hardware check it out. Post up some pics when you are done.

On the trigger guard, I would check out Cobra's Custom

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=43450

He sells the cool trigger guard,

post-1629-12716327795378_thumb.jpeg

and the selector stop

post-1629-12716329672599_thumb.jpg

as well as the rivets that you will need.

He also sells some other set-ups for the grip nut if you don't feel like cutting out that hole

On the trigger guard, I would check out Cobra's Custom

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=43450

He sells the cool trigger guard,

post-1629-12716327795378_thumb.jpeg

and the selector stop

post-1629-12716329672599_thumb.jpg

as well as the rivets that you will need.

He also sells some other set-ups for the grip nut if you don't feel like cutting out that hole

I have this trigger guard and the tromix trigger guard. The tromix is great for the guy who wants simple, easy installation without having to do any additional drilling or cutting. The downfall in my opinion is that you are limited to the SAW pistol grip (This will change when MD Arms debuts his MOLOT grip for Tromix DIY's, already out for traditional trigger guards). The SAW grip feels cheap and IMO, does not belong on the Saiga, any of them. The trigger guard that Cobra sells, looks the best in terms of traditional AK styling, but it does require you to cut the pistol grip hole and drill for the front part of the trigger guard and selector stop. The plus side is that it allows you to use any standard AK grip, especially the new one from MD Arms that is available now. If you have the knowledge or at least the ability to use hand tools and follow online tutorials, I would go with the one Cobra sells. But in the end, it is all in what and how you want your S12 to look.

...I do not feel that I really will ever use the rifle without the stock...

( ^ emphasis mine)

Use the what? :D

Most of us who use folding stocks on our S-12's don't do so so we can fire from the hip more easily. A folding stock makes storage and transport of your shotgun a lot easier.

I use some of the aforementioned parts: akbuilder triggerguard, (the one Cobra sells), MD Arms Molot-style pistol grip, along with a ~8.5" Ace stock, (different model from the one you're considering):

stock21.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic