Finished my 7.62x39 Saiga, Couldn't be happier!

To anybody out there who's on the fence about completing their Saigas: Go for it!

After kicking around all kinds of ideas, most of which involved keeping my Saiga stock and buying other rifles, I finally came to the obvious: why BUY another rifle when I already HAVE one that can do everything I want from a rifle, and grow with me? Answer: there is no good reason. I researched and researched and found that the highest quality, highest value AK (heck, maybe even RIFLE, in this price range!) was a completed Saiga.

To realize this, and keep the finished product 922r compliant with all AK mags, I grabbed the following TAPCO items from a local shop: G2 FCG, Standard Grip and Stock, and a Saiga Intrafuse handguard. I chose that specific handguard because I didn't want to play around with a lower handguard retainer, and I don't have a decent gas tube. The Intrafuse just bolts right on, works with the stock gas tube, and comes with rails if I ever want them for bipods/flashlights/other crap. I also picked up 4 3/16th nylon hole plugs, a 1/2inch 10/32 button head screw and nut, and a can of Rustoleum high heat spray paint.

For tools, I used a Dremel 300 (and the accessories that came with it), Screwdrivers (Sadly, to include some really fucking tiny torx and allen head guys: look for these on sale in the aisle of your hardware store!) A small hammer, a steel punch, a round needle file, and a scrap 2x4 I found in the reject bin at Home Depot for my working surface. After disassembling and stripping the stock Saiga, I plugged the barrel and gas block with patches, and wrapped everything from the barrel to halfway down the receiver in an old t-shirt.

For a guide, I used the video posted on Vimeo.com as reference, but I've been prepping for this for quite some time now, so I really didn't end up using it but for a couple times. The spray paint is great, I see it available everywhere, and after it dries it can be buffed with a shop rag to a nice semi-gloss: it's close enough to the stock finish, that you REALLY can't tell.

For advice: when it comes time to remove rivets... start on the trigger guard. Even if you plan to re-use the trigger guard (Which I did), it lets you practice with the Dremel, so when it comes time to get the side rivets out you won't mess up the finish on the side of your receiver. To that end, make sure you use LIBERAL amounts of masking tape: it won't last long vs. a Dremel, but it'll save you from the occasional slippage.

More on the Trigger Guard: Yes, it can be re-used, but plan to really work for it! If I had been more patient, I would have ordered one through Dinzag or somebody else, but this weekend ended up being my last free weekend, so I went ahead without one. To re-use it, you'll have to dremel and punch through another rivet, as well as defeat a spot weld. After that, you'll have to re-shape it slightly (I wrapped it in a shirt and pushed it against the concrete until it was the right shape. Hurt.) re-finish any damage (I had LOTS) and then buy a screw and bolt I mentioned above to attach it. Unless you're on one helluva budget... splurge. Buy the $19 trigger guard and enjoy!

I still need to install the bullet guide and file down the mag catch, but for tonight it's back in working order and, if I may say so myself... Lookin' GOOD! That G2 just FEELS about a thousand times better than a stock trigger: should feel even better after a few hundred rounds. The handling is in another league: it pops right into my upper shoulder, the shorter overall length makes it easier to maneuver, and the grip takes the suck out of going prone.

I had a blast completing this rifle: thank you, all of you, who have helped me get to this point. You've answered my questions, tolerated my strange opinions, and just been a damn fine group of knowledgeable individuals. These photographs, and my sincere thanks, are for you!

post-25215-035263600 1283048044_thumb.jpg

post-25215-039031100 1283048059_thumb.jpg

post-25215-019274800 1283048069_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats MN.9130! One slight correction, you are not "finished" per say. This is simply a first step into the hobby! :super:

For real, my 7.62x39 has been "finished" at least 4 times. :lolol:

• Like 2

Al: It's the FDE, any color shift is from my 7+ year old Canon 10D. This hobby has taken my funding away from the first hobby, and so I soldier on 5 generations behind it's current equivalent. I put another one up in the picture post that has slightly better color, but the damn thing has trouble with white balance when there's only ONE color present!

And yes, "finished" and "completed" were less-than-perfect adjectives, but the other two in common use are surrounded by their fair share of controversy. Last night, it was finished... for last night! :victory:

See you have to convert one to appreciate how really E-A-S-Y it is, then your amazed and at that point your rifle is never really finished, there's always fine tuning or improvements to do...but it's always fun and satisfying, did I mention educational and rewarding?

ENJOY !

BTW it looks awesome !