I've got a 10 year old car with window tinting. About a year ago some of the tinting started to bubble and seperate. Now days it's becoming a hazard.

Does anybody know if there is a solvent out there that'll just eat the remaining glue off of the tint and let me rip that stuff out without having to fark up my wrist getting into odd places with a razor blade?

Or should I give up (it's been 2 days and I've got about 2/3rds of the rear window clear using acetone and razor blades) and take it to a shop. I'm not looking to have the stuff replaced, just taken off.

unless you remove the glass from the car( alot of work), don't use solvents(they are too messy, and can dammage other interrior). Instead buy a 100pack of single edged razor blades. not the utility kind w/points, just the rectangular blades w/ the bit of metal folded over the side oppisite the blade. Use a blade until it dulls( starts leaving streaks in the glue) and get another one. You may use 5- 20 per glass but it costs about 5 bucks. Keep the blade clean inbetween scrapes, and it wont smear on the next scrape. I work in a bodyshop so I have dealt with this before. If you can peel it off in sheets it will be easier to get the glue off. If not just have patience and don't give up, some guy told me it builds character!

Hah, I got a fix-it ticket to remove my tint on the front windows. Been there for 5 years! Remove the film the best you can and use rubbing alcohol. I agree, don't use solvents. If you spill some, no biggie - it will dry quick. Whatever they use for adhesive, that stuff is bad a$$!

Put alcohol on paper towel and work in small areas. Keep using different areas of the paper towel or you will be relocating the glue where you just cleaned. It takes a long time! I think I had an hour into both windows. I dunno about building character, but I came up with several new names for that cop!

I tried the razor, and unless you want to spend until next christmas working on it, go with a solvent. I went with one of those industrial strength Goo Gones or Wipe Aways or something. The stronger the better. Don't spill it, but apply it generously and wait a while. Rubbing alcohol didn't do a darn thing for the stuff on my windows. Nor did acetone.

i used to remove ********* stickers from junk cars with lighter fluid with perfect results, both to the sticker integrity and the glass itself.

I have also used pure ammonia to clean shit off windows like marker, egg, etc. you really should remove the glass before you do that though, and in most cars, it is quite simple to do so.

We have a new tint law here in Mississippi and I have some experience with this. I work at a place that puts on (to quote Bvamp) "********** stickers." I've had good success by taking a razor blade and cutting a big X in the tint and then heating it with a heat gun. I will usually peel right off with very little glue left on the glass. If you dont care about looks you could just cut a few X's in the tint and ride around in the hot sun and it will begin to curl up on its on and you can then just pull it off. Most of the glass places here in town will remove window tint for you for $10 per window.

heh heh

my point being if oyu can get the top edge to peel up a bit, and put lighter fluid behind it, it should peel right off slowly and pretty clean like.

if heat works, Id say use it. lighter fluid can make a mess if you use too much.

Yeah, I frakked up my wrist pretty good last night (didn't notice until this morning) trying to dig some of the tint out of the bottom rear window.

So, here's me surrendering. I'm going to take it over to a pro in the morning and have them remove the damn stuff.