Cycle question?

I just picked up a saiga 12 today that I bought off the forum. (couldn't wait for the shorty to clear to shot one) It is converted but still has a 22inch barrel. I only shot 7rds out of it because it was getting dark. I was shooting walmart cheapes 2 3/4 winchesters , you know the $16 per hundred. Anyways it failed to cycle every shot. I'm not sure which position the setting sits, I asume the number by the lock you depress, but anyways. The first 2 shots barely opened the bolt and I think it was in position one, if that is the setting by the lock. So I asumed it was the wrong setting and switched to the other. When I tried it again, it opened the bolt far enough to restab the empty round in front of the chamber, it didn't eject. It did this for the the last five rounds. It was to dark to try other ammo.

Could anybody tell me what might be causing this? I aslo plan to cut the barrel down to the legal limit. Could someone guide me to the right thread so I no how to modify the gas system correctly. I would greatly appericate the vetern saiga holders expertise (so I can get to shooting and get my Saiga Strip too) Thanks

Sounds like perhaps you are missing a gas piston, or it is otherwise jammed. Remove the blind plug and look inside, if there is no little round piston within the gas block or it is jammed and won't move, you have found your problem.

In case you do need one, Tromix sells them.

Did you check the cleanliness of the gas ports? Maybe they're just full of crud.

Jeric

You didn't state the # of rounds since the conversion was done, but if there wasn't too many, the new hammer may need to be polished where the carrier contacts it. When you cock it you will feel the carrier contact the hammer. It's that resistance that the polishing will reduce.

The blind plug needs to be on #2 for light loads. I would recommend totally disassembling and cleaning. When you take the blind plug out you will see that the #2 has a large chamfer by it. That lets max gas though to cycle light loads. Also check the ports with a dental pick to see if there's crud. When you reassemble, make sure the plug is cranked all the way in then back out to #2.

I have disassembled and cleaned the entire gas system- port, pistons, interior.... The saiga doesn't look like it has been shot much, due to wear and level of sot. Also it looks like most of the this must have been before the conversion as well because the hammer is still black with finish with just the slightest amount of metal showing on it. I will give it a try first thing in the morning. If it still doesn't cycle I will try to polish the hammer down a little. I appreciate the quick responses. I will give you my results tomorrow. Thanks A Lot. MikeD.

Most all my new Saigas were like that...till I bought some Hivel loads & shot the shit out of em....After they got broke in..they ate everything I would put in em..Did you notice if it had 4 ports or three??..I had less trouble with the 4 port models....but even the 3 port eventually shot great after break-in..

just my nickels worth of experience with Saiga SGs.. :super:

When you are not shooting it, store it with the bolt locked back for a while to loosen up the spring some. if you don't have a BHO you can put a block of wood in there. Go thru a few boxes of Slugs or other magnum loads and it should improve.

It was to dark to try other ammo.

What? Never seen it too dark to shoot, especially if you are just function testing. :killer:

But I am a bit concerned as an uncut bbl should not need gas port adjustment. Can you talk with original owner, find out if it cycled ok prior to conversion. You might not even need to ask, as they pretty much run from the get go, especially when the factory slime is cleaned off and the gun is oiled up.

Unless the gun was defective from the start, I'd bet on the hammer/bolt contact being to great. Might even grind that hammer down a bit, then polish it.

Maybe after you have worked this out with prior owner, but I'd like to know who sold you this, and how it gets resolved. We need to be able to avoid folks like this.

I would go with the "new, needs to be broken in" scenario... no worries...

It will break in, and it WILL function just fine... give it time, and lots of heavy loads for starters...

:smoke: