Red Star FCG.

Hello again, will a Red Star FCG fit in the Saiga .308?

I seen the tutorial on the conversion but it was a 7.62x39 rifle. In looking at it I believe it will work on the .308.

There is a Red Star FCG for a Vepr .308. Is this the one?

Any tutorials on the FCG for the conversion?

Thanx.

Edited by Nomad

I used a Red Star FCG in my Saiga .308 conversion and highly recommend it. I first used

the G2 FCG and thought it was garbage. Spend the extra money and get the RS.

When ordering, tell them it's for the Saiga .308. I guess there are a couple different

types that they sell. I think I bought mine through Powers. Good people.

Edited by ReadyFreddy
I used a Red Star FCG in my Saiga .308 conversion and highly recommend it. I first used

When ordering, tell them it's for the Saiga .308. I guess there are a couple different

This is good news, thanx!

I see their is a .308 trigger group.

'Red Star emailed me this--

Hi Greg. Yes the .308 trigger groups works very well in a conversion. I have done a couple myself and they make extremely accurate hi power rifles.

Send me some pictures when it is done and I will post them on my web site.

• 2 weeks later...

I see their is a .308 trigger group.

'Red Star emailed me this--

Hi Greg. Yes the .308 trigger groups works very well in a conversion. I have done a couple myself and they make extremely accurate hi power rifles.

Send me some pictures when it is done and I will post them on my web site.

So is that the one they list as VEPR 308 on their website? I just want to be clear on it because other than the hotties and cool links their website kind of sucks. How tough would it be to simply list the various models and applications? It's the only 308 trigger listed but is there one for the S-308 not listed or not in stock????

Edited by DaGroaner

Yes, the vepr .308 is the one for the Saiga .308 conversion. Something to do with the hammer.

I have a commy fcg in it now. Had to mod it a little. Only to see if it would work, it does-lol.

I just used their basic 7.62x39 model. It dropped in easily and feels great.

Yea, i'm wondering if their is a difference.

Trigger compatibility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trigger system compatibility

ROMANIAN STAMPED RIFLES

SAR-1 (7.62X39)

SAR-2 (5.45)

SAR-3 (5.56) requires special RSA hammer

Romak-991 (7.62X39)

Romak-992 (5.45)

Romak-1 (7.62)

Romak-2 (5.45)

Romak-3 (7.62X54R)

MKII

CUR2

WUM-1 (7.62X39)

WUM-2 (5.45)

WASR-10 (ALL)

CHINESE RIFLES (MILLED OR STAMPED)

MAK-90

MAK-91

NHM-90

NHM-91

BWK-92

Preban Chinese rifles of all types.

Will not fit the Norino Hunter.

Hungarian Rifles

All SA-85 models.

All FEG receiver kit guns.

MILLED GUNS

All Chinese Milled receivers.

All Bulgarian Milled receivers.

Firing Line Milled Receivers.

Arsenal USA Milled Receivers.

STAMPED US RECEIVERS

OOW (OHIO)

HESSE

SAI

VEPR RPK RECEIVER RIFLES

Vepr II (7.62X39)

Vepr II (5.45)

Vepr II (5.56)

Vepr II (.308) requires special RSA hammer

EGYPTIAN RIFLES

All MAADIs

All MISR rifles

SAIGA RIFLES

RSA trigger will fit all pistol grip models.

RSA trigger will not fit hunting stock models.

If your rifle looks like this it will not fit!

Edited by Nomad
  • 2 weeks later...

Also be aware that some of us with RSA's in our .308's have had to shim our triggers from the sides. The trigger hole in the bottom of my receiver was larger than normal AK, and the RSA trigger floated side to side in it..enough to cause serious binding dangers when the action cycles. The exact shimming needed was found by another member previously on the forum. A little search should turn it up. Excellent trigger once you get past that though. Recently at the range, one of the regulars stepped away from his custom target Rem. 700's and gave my Saiga .308 w/RSA (set up 2-stage, ~3lb pull, very clean) a try. He said it was the only AK trigger he's ever found tolerable. Yea, he turns his nose up at most AK stuff, but you get the idea. Well worth the money, just watch for the oversized receiver trigger hole.

Falcon73

Power Customs Inc.

29739 Highway J

Gravois Mills, Mo 65037

Randal Power (573)372-5684

Call him, there is a model for the 308. There is a difference in the hammer.

I just got done talking to him on the phone. He said that the "VEPR 308 FCG" is used for converted Saiga 308's. He also said that most of the time the hammer will just work with the OEM BHO, but that occasionally some narrowing may be required.

The "VEPR 308 FCG" is used for the Saiga .308. The BHO can be used, though you may have to remove some material from the BHO side of the hammer.

The correct sized stainless spacers arrived today! I used 5/16" OD x 3/16" L (#10 ID) for the left side and a 5/16" OD x 3/8" L (#10 ID) for the right. A little sanding and they hold the trigger rock solid in the center. I ordered PN's 67713032 & 67713156 from MSCDirect.com.

As Falcon73 mentions, shimming is sometimes required to prevent the trigger "floating" from side-to-side. Here's info in the spacers required to hold the RSA trigger in the center of my OEM Saiga's over-sized trigger cut-out. Again, some fitting is likely required.

Edited by LESchwartz
Also be aware that some of us with RSA's in our .308's have had to shim our triggers from the sides. The trigger hole in the bottom of my receiver was larger than normal AK, and the RSA trigger floated side to side in it..enough to cause serious binding dangers when the action cycles. The exact shimming needed was found by another member previously on the forum. A little search should turn it up. Excellent trigger once you get past that though. Recently at the range, one of the regulars stepped away from his custom target Rem. 700's and gave my Saiga .308 w/RSA (set up 2-stage, ~3lb pull, very clean) a try. He said it was the only AK trigger he's ever found tolerable. Yea, he turns his nose up at most AK stuff, but you get the idea. Well worth the money, just watch for the oversized receiver trigger hole.

Falcon73

My commie FCG's package's came with spacers.

This is of interest to me. I have a stock Saiga .308 on the way and I'm going to do the pg conversion right away.

Was planning on using one of the G-2's that I have on hand. I saw one reference to them being crap in this rifle. Is that the general consensus or just a comparison to the Red Star? I like them in my other AK's - I have a Red Star fcg in a SAR-1 and it is very nice and of course can be adjusted to a fine break.

The only drag I have on the RS is that it is adjustable and even with locktight, there is the possibility of things coming loose.

Also, on the oversized trigger hole issue - is this solved by using washers on either side of the trigger base?

TIA

Was planning on using one of the G-2's that I have on hand. I saw one reference to them being crap in this rifle. Is that the general consensus or just a comparison to the Red Star? I like them in my other AK's - I have a Red Star fcg in a SAR-1 and it is very nice and of course can be adjusted to a fine break.

The G2's hammer will need to be reshaped in order to use it on the Saiga .308. Do a search of the forum, you should be able to find info on what needs to be done. I have some AK builds I did where I used the G2 FCG, they seem fine to me in my other AK's. The primary reason I went with the RSA is so I wouldn't have to re-shape the hammer.

Also, on the oversized trigger hole issue - is this solved by using washers on either side of the trigger base?

Some shim with washers. I used 'spacers', which are designed for this purpose. check to p/n's from my previous post . . . I purchased 5 each online, and iirc it was about $10 shipped.

Larry

The G2's hammer will need to be reshaped in order to use it on the Saiga .308. Do a search of the forum, you should be able to find info on what needs to be done. I have some AK builds I did where I used the G2 FCG, they seem fine to me in my other AK's. The primary reason I went with the RSA is so I wouldn't have to re-shape the hammer.

Some shim with washers. I used 'spacers', which are designed for this purpose. check to p/n's from my previous post . . . I purchased 5 each online, and iirc it was about $10 shipped.

Larry

Ah - thank you for the clarification. I think I'll order an RSA too - when you cut into the metal, you cut through the heat-treating too many times and you get galling.