i like it.... where'd you get the psl handguards?

i saw a pic somewhere where someone welded a g3 flashhider on the end and that looked pretty sharp, but it's not like you actually NEED a brake, unless your gunna be bumpfiring your 8 round mags alot

;)

Well, it's nearly done. Just got to attach the handguard retainers and decide if i want to to fit a muzzle brake or not. What do you think?
  • 3 weeks later...
Got the handguards from K-Var. The brake's not a bid deal, just might complete the look. I'll think about it.

Are you using the PSL gas tube or was it too long?

And how do you plan to attach them?

I am looking at doing the same thing to mine, that is why I was asking..

My other problem is enough compliance parts to make it legal, I am one short. Piston, hammer, disconnector, trigger, need one more.

Yeah, the PSL gas tube is too long. I'm using the bottom screw/sling attachment to hold the lower HG on, and the top I'm trying out several different ideas. As far as the parts count goes, I'm one short also, so I am adding a p-grip and blond wood buttstock (and I've got a choate t-hole for when I just have to have a t-hole).

Yeah, the PSL gas tube is too long. I'm using the bottom screw/sling attachment to hold the lower HG on, and the top I'm trying out several different ideas. As far as the parts count goes, I'm one short also, so I am adding a p-grip and blond wood buttstock (and I've got a choate t-hole for when I just have to have a t-hole).

If I decide to go this route, I figure to try and build a floor plate for the mag, and stamp it Made in USA. Figure if I document with pics as I go, it will be up to them to prove different.

One option I am thinking is to shorten the rear of the PSL handguard, and use a Romy upper notched to match. I'll have to hold it up there and see how it looks when the time comes. That would make the upper easy, and add the gap by the gas block the PSL has..

Edited by texlurch

#1 - I think that looks excellent! Great Job! and definately add the brake if you can (parts count). That looks just like a Romanian PSL.

As to parts count - I am thinking that in this current configuration, its still a sporting rifle right? Putting a pg on it will make it a non-sporting rifle and subject to the parts count. It is currently just like the WASR-10's that were imported during the ban with the thumbhole stocks and low-cap mags - sporting rifles.

I just did a pg conversion on my .308 and it is good with us-made pg, buttstock and fcg which leaves, barrel, handguard, trunions, piston, bolt carrier, bolt, receiver, mag body, mag follower and mag floorplate for 10 imported parts.

If I add a brake or flash hider, it will have to be us-made too.

This stupid parts count crap gives me a headache - and makes me mad - its totally uncostitutional - clearly an infringement on our right to keep and bear arms.

#1 - I think that looks excellent! Great Job! and definately add the brake if you can (parts count). That looks just like a Romanian PSL.

As to parts count - I am thinking that in this current configuration, its still a sporting rifle right? Putting a pg on it will make it a non-sporting rifle and subject to the parts count. It is currently just like the WASR-10's that were imported during the ban with the thumbhole stocks and low-cap mags - sporting rifles.

I just did a pg conversion on my .308 and it is good with us-made pg, buttstock and fcg which leaves, barrel, handguard, trunions, piston, bolt carrier, bolt, receiver, mag body, mag follower and mag floorplate for 10 imported parts.

This stupid parts count crap gives me a headache - and makes me mad - its totally uncostitutional - clearly an infringement on our right to keep and bear arms.

The parts count thing isn't bad if you are using a US made stock and stuff; where it becomes a pain is when you want to make a clone of something that is either unavailable or way out of your price range.

It can be done, just have to plan yer bidness! :smoke:

• 3 weeks later...
When set up for longer distance work, I like using a FH, brake that doesn't diminish accuratcy.

I finally picked up my 308 today, looks like the OD on my FH and the barrel is the same, so I'll just weld it on.

I have a stock Romy gas tube, which drops right on, so I think if I shorten the PSL lower, I'll have what I want. Work dictates it will be a few weeks before I can start playing with it, so I'll post up when I get it started.

I already modded the mag for 10 rds., and the floor plate looks pretty basic to make one and mark it US, so parts count is golden.

Edited by texlurch
  • 2 weeks later...

You don't hear much about it anymore since the lapsing of the"ban," but, the BATF ruled on thumbholes in an official opinion, and ruled them to be same as PGs for any and all 922 purposes. So, DO NOT go cohate or thumbhole and think that you are non-PG legal.

Also, I have been thinking of using the PSL furniture on a SIaga 308 as well. How do you attach the upper handguard?

Also for anyone. . .what kind of groups will the 21" Siaga .308 produce with what ammo, and at what distances?

Thanks much.

Got the handguards from K-Var. The brake's not a bid deal, just might complete the look. I'll think about it.

Are you using the PSL gas tube or was it too long?

And how do you plan to attach them?

I am looking at doing the same thing to mine, that is why I was asking..

My other problem is enough compliance parts to make it legal, I am one short. Piston, hammer, disconnector, trigger, need one more.

i made a custom floor plate for my mag that helped with the compliance parts