I'm building an AK from a Hungarian AMD63 parts kit and would like to rivet it together if possible. I am not equiped shop wise to make a rivet squeezer from a bolt cutter as some people have suggested. What size of factory made rivet squeezer should I get.

Guest Guest

Factory rivet squeezers cost as much as a factory. I assume you meant you are getting a press from Harbor Frieght? I was about to try the air tool method but I think my air tank may be a tad undersized for the task and the home made bolt-cutter idea just seemed to much easier.

uh, if its one of those parts kits im thinking of, you cant reassemble it by law. :/ once you mount the barrel or the stock sets in like a dragunov's case...also some of the fire control parts i believe are part of that. you are only supposed to repair a registered AMD63 with your parts kit, not make one out of it.

Bvamp:

If what you say is the case, then all the people that are building AKs from parts kits are doing it illegally and there will be a mass arrest by BATF shortly. I'm certain that these people aren't all licensed firearms manufacturers.Check this site out:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums

There are no firearm registration laws in my home state. And as far as I know there isn't a federal registration law either. As long as you are making the weapon for your own use there is no law against it but you cannot make it for sale.

If I'm the owner of a AK receiver, it is considered to be a firearm by BATF and subject to the same controls as any firearm. I can use the parts kit to replace the parts on my firearm.

This is a response from Shiek Yerbouti on this subject.

The disclaimer that is advertized by parts kits vendors is a "ruling" by F-Troop, er, BATF to allow for importation of parts kits. IOW, the importers cannot turn them into guns. You, OTOH, have a receiver that needs replacement parts because (a)the parts that were on it disappeared, or (cool.gif it never had parts to begin with.

You must always keep in mind that "rulings" do not carry the force of law; law is established in the courts. Typically, "rulings" have more to do with executive orders, which only apply to the executive branch. iAs long as you comply with the idotic laws that we have concerning the assembly of firearms, you can pretty much use any parts you want. After all, the receiver is the only "regulated" part.

Edited by Tengu

Bvamp:

You can buy the krinkov barrel if you want you just can't use it as is because it's too short to be legal. If you add a permanent barrel extension to make it a bit longer than 16 inches you can do whatever you want with it. Short barreled rifles have been illegal since 1934 I believe.

I thought it was illegal for me to even be in possession of it because I have something it will fit on...didnt say I was going to build anything :) for a rainy day, you know?

• 5 months later...

I worked at Douglas Aircraft and riveting requires an air hammer and bucking bar on the other side. You also need an air supply. Pop rivets are NOT as strong as solid rivets and may pop off at the wrong time especially if used in a highly stress application (your Saiga firearm). I don't know how I'll get any riveting done if I convert my Saiga.

:osama::killer:

:sadam::killer:

Make sure you vote against John French-poodle Kerry if you want to keep your rights to own your guns. Otherwise the UN will confiscate them at his command. Don't forget Renquist is sick, Kerry will appoint Ted 'Chappaquiddik' Kennedy to the Supreme Court. G-d help us.

Remember, if you do build an AK from a parts kit you have to play the "10 or less" imported parts game. The short AMD65 barrels will need to be permanently legnthened to be legal. I've heard of people taking the AMD65 kits and turning them into a "pistol" but I dont know how legal that is...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So are there any of these rivet squeezers still available for sale today? I remember seeing a plan for making your own from a pair of bolt cutters but what's the best option these days?

And I need a Hungarian for my collection. That pistol idea is sounding very good about now!

I'm building an AK from a Hungarian AMD63 parts kit and would like to rivet it together if possible. I am not equiped shop wise to make a rivet squeezer from a bolt cutter as some people have suggested. What size of factory made rivet squeezer should I get.

I'm sorry you have to deal with all this bs for a simple question. I've built a few AK's and the bolt cutter rivet former is the easier (cheap) way to go for the front trunnion, but they don't work with long rivets like many ak's have in the rear trunnion. If your not equiped to make a rivet tool from bolt cutters, you won't have the tooling for the rest of the rivets. I suggest doing the build with screws. Many people go this route if they don't have the shop or space to do it. A benefit is down the road if you do get more equipment, you could go back and rivet if that's your thing.

Also, if building with rivets, you will need to press out the barrel which the proper way calls for a jig and press, although people have been known to use a hammer :0( I've seen people use the screw method and not remove the barrel.

The most expensive tool is your rivet jig. A 12 ton press can be had in the $50-75 area, and a good jig will be around $200 but will do all your rivets, and have a resale value.

Guns network will teach you everything you need to know about building, and I suggest some of you other posters read it too.

I'm sorry you have to deal with all this bs for a simple question. I've built a few AK's and the bolt cutter rivet former is the easier (cheap) way to go for the front trunnion, but they don't work with long rivets like many ak's have in the rear trunnion. If your not equiped to make a rivet tool from bolt cutters, you won't have the tooling for the rest of the rivets. I suggest doing the build with screws. Many people go this route if they don't have the shop or space to do it. A benefit is down the road if you do get more equipment, you could go back and rivet if that's your thing.

Also, if building with rivets, you will need to press out the barrel which the proper way calls for a jig and press, although people have been known to use a hammer :0( I've seen people use the screw method and not remove the barrel.

The most expensive tool is your rivet jig. A 12 ton press can be had in the $50-75 area, and a good jig will be around $200 but will do all your rivets, and have a resale value.

Guns network will teach you everything you need to know about building, and I suggest some of you other posters read it too.

I want you guys to come help me with my dear departed.

You just responded to a 3 year old post.

Duh nalioth...duh... :rolleyes:

I was looking at the post being viewed in the online users section and thought it was a good topic to bring back up. Ya know what? That's why the database here still contains old posts, so we can revisit them if we want to.

Duh nalioth...duh... :rolleyes:

I was looking at the post being viewed in the online users section and thought it was a good topic to bring back up. Ya know what? That's why the database here still contains old posts, so we can revisit them if we want to.

Your post was fine, Cobra, I was referring to the response to the OP (posted 3 odd years ago [and who has not been seen in a year and a half]). For petes sake, the AWB lapsed since that post was made. . . .