Saiga Observations '00 to '06

Well, I just received my new '06 S-12, and I find some things interesting, and some puzzling. First, the diffference between my '00 and my '06 in terms of serial No. is only 18,000 guns later. That is probably the impact of EAA dropping the line and the USA being without an importer/distributor for so long. That pretty much proves that we are the single biggest importer of the Siaga line in the world.

Next, it is clearly lighter than my '00, which I am not complaining about. The '06 does not have the ribbed sight ramp that my '00 has, but that alone cant't account for the weight difference. I plan on using add-on things to keep this one lighter. The ramp was elevation AND windage adjustable, and this one only wondage. I hope that doesn't present any problems when I check and adjust for zero. Even though I plan on putting on optics, I want back-up irons that actually work.

Also, I got the thread protector, when the ad at the placer I bought said it had the 00 attachment. I am a bit pissed about that, because I like to turn the 00 attachments into comps. All and all, based on initial eyeballing, the sights seem to be pretty much in line with the bore. On my '00, I had to bottom out the front of the ramp, and knock the rear dovetail WAY over the the right to get her zeroed--but, I WAS able to zero.

Just out of curiosity, I noticed that most of you guys remove not only the old trigger axis pin, but also the spring wire pin. I leave that one in and use the factory wire because I can't see a place to hang a shepard's hook, as I do on a AK rifle. Where do you guys that remove the spring wire axis pin hang the darned hook? Or what do you user for a hook?

The conversion went kind of smoothly, but the BHO spring gave me absolute hell before the BHO worked well. I had to remove and duplicate the shape of my '00 spring before it was OK. This one came a bit funky in shape. Trying to get the carrier to go home when the BHO decides to crawl up into the receiver is real fun.

Smoke function test and report to follow this Sat. at regular IDPA match.

The puzzling part is that my new gun IS and '06. Apparently, I was wrong about the Russians exhausting existing stocks of older S-12s before sending over EXP-01-30s. We have seen pics of the civvy versions used in Russia, and that have the two extra rivets over the PG which shows that they can do the sporter stock and trigger groups exactly as they do with the models we get. However, for reasons that I don't know, we are getting the older design made fresh, so to speak. I would rather be getting the EXP-01-30 with the sporter FCG and stock. Maybe RAA isn't asking for them? Hey, RAA. . .ask for them!

How much lighter? Can you weigh them and post a comparison?

Here's what I do for retaining springs. I can get two out of one factory spring. :smoke:

post-1293-1152221289_thumb.jpg

FREE

Once made they're much easier than e clips or shepard's crooks.

Took these pics a while back and was going to post a tutorial but got caught up with real life...

Maybe I'll still get a round toit if there's any interest.

Cool. Thanks, Cobra, but WHERE DO YOU HANG IT???? That's what I can't figure out.

RE: weight: I swear my '06 has got to be over a lb. (maybe 2) lighter than my '00 was out-of-the-box. I haven't weighed it yet, but I will, and report. The receiver seems to be still somewhere around 1.6 mm, and not the 1 mm that the Romanians use (makes a big difference!), but it still seems a bunch lighter.

Thanks again.

Edited by inparidel

The loop on the left end (short part of the "L") is held in place by the end of the selector axle.

the one on the other end rests on the floor of the receiver in front of the hammer. From there the wire goes under the hammer axis and over the trigger axis, then flexes down at the back corner, anchored by the selector when you put it in and lock it down.

Ahaha! Now I see. But. . . it's a bunch easier to remove the trigger extension stuff and just leave the retention wire on its axis pin as it was made. Just dremmel-cut a pie shaped wedge out of the rocker dealy on the wire axis pin, and then slide it out the back way. The factory wire that goes over the hammer axis pn, and under the trigger axis pin works great, as intended. Just another way that involves less destruction as well as construction.

I'm curious,are the 06 Saigas lighter because they changed the barrel from a heavy mandrel formed affair to more of a thin walled tube the way American shotguns are made?

Any of you that have a newer Saiga should take a look under the handguards and see if your barrel has the ultra heavy chamber area with the spiral mandrel/hammer marks on the outside like the older models.

I always thought that building a shotgun barrel like a machinegun barrel was a little overkill but it was still a comforting thought if someone wanted to experiment with some higher pressure CAWS type ammunition but obviously heavy.

If these newer ones are actually lighter I might have to buy another one just to knock some weight off of the old Porch Sweeper that sits in a broom closet by the backdoor of my house.

I will take a heavier barrel over a light one any day and gladly lug around that extra pound of steel in exchange for peace of mind. Even with the full choke, my older Saiga eats 3" magnum slugs like candy all day long. Try that with an american shotgun with full choke and the barrel will end up like a bananna peel after the first shot.

I'm curious,are the 06 Saigas lighter because they changed the barrel from a heavy mandrel formed affair to more of a thin walled tube the way American shotguns are made?

Any of you that have a newer Saiga should take a look under the handguards and see if your barrel has the ultra heavy chamber area with the spiral mandrel/hammer marks on the outside like the older models.

Yes. The chamber area on the '06s is different. Instead of a gradual swelling to a rather large chamber area, the '06 I have is a tad slimmer and has a collar/ring, milled around the front area of the chamber for strength where it's apparently needed, not the overkill of my '00. That's cool with me, because I am trying to keep this one a bunch lighter than my '00 finally got after folders, optics, recoil padsm rails and foregrips. Add two clamped 8-rounders with a steel clamp, and you have a pretty hefty cannon. I am going ultra light this time: AR stock with Ace folder mechanism, and I am going to do many tac rail-style cut-outs on the forend to lighten while keeping structural integrity. Also, a lighter vertical grip.