Well I converted one too

post-2536-1153362905_thumb.jpg

Here is my S-308 that I converted.......first one. Doing it yourself is very gratifying. As much of a bitch as it was to drill, I'm ready to do another. I have to thank Dinzag for giving support and guidance (dude, the twisty tie trick for the BHO worked great).

Hope the pic works,

Doug

Well, not a great picture. You have to enlarge it to see the vents in the handguard.

Doug

Sweet man nice job! Good job on the vents too.

I'm getting mine next week finally.

It's almost a shame that it has that beautiful wood furniture on it cause I know I won't be able to stand it long before putting it under the knife.

Dinzag I think the Vepr furniture just found a new home... :smoke:

Sweet Doug! I'm glad it worked out for you. :smoke:

Nice handguard too!!! Looks kinda familiar...

post-2093-1153384852_thumb.jpg

Congrats Cobra, welcome to 308-land.

You going to chamfer the back of the receiver VEPR style or mod the furniture?

Twisty tie trick for the BHO spring: Have everything installed and ready to put the spring in. Slide the axis pin through the trigger group. Strip the plastic off a bread twisty tie and stick it through the spring then as your dropping the spring between the reciever and BHO stick the 2 ends of the tie throught the hole. Use the twist tie to pull down on the spring (grab tthe ties with pliers) to line it up so the pin can go through the spring and out the hole of the reciever. You'll still have to cuss at it a little and wish you had a third hand but it works way bettter than just trying to push it down with a screw driver. I bout lost any eye f'ing around with it before I used the wire. Also, everyone may already do this but to get the hammer spring out of my way, I pulled each end up with some pliers and hooked them across either a screw driver or a long p-grip screw laid across the reciever, then just dropped them down after the pin was in.

Hope it all made sense. If not Dinzag may be able to explain it better.

Doug

Edited by doug01

Ken,

PM me and I'll bring it by.

Steve in PA,

It's a Tapco stock. It came on a .223 I bought. I bought a NATO lenghth K-VAR stock but for me personally it just seemed to small for the .308 so I swapped them. I actually like the way the Tapco shoulders and you can obviously adjust it. The cheapest place I found for parts was On Point Firearms in Florida. They have (or at least had) the stock for $36, grip for $18 and the 3 piece tapco trigger for $26. Haven't seen any cheaper :ph34r: . Google them and type tapco in their search. hope it helps.

Doug

LOL! Doug, that handguard should look alot like the one on your .223 since I'm the one that slotted them both! That's hilarious that you ended up with both of them. That handguard actually came from a x39 long ago when I used it to convert a .308 from wood to synthetic. I copied the slots from the actual Russian slotted handguard I saw on the old Russian Saiga website. Since I've heard a few positive remarks on it, I'll post my method in a new post for all to plunder.