Broken tap in trunnion !!! Saiga .223....

I was trying to install a bullet guide in my Saiga .223 today. Unfortunately I broke the tap off in the trunnion. I really don't think I will be able to install the guide myself. Is there anyone you guys can suggest that could install guides in two Saiga .223 rifles??? I have finished the pistol grip conversion and have the bullet guides. I will be using Galil Orlite .223 mags in my rifles. Thanks for any help.....Mike........ :unsure::unsure:

We covered broken tap some time ago, I think it was on the Saiga weapons thread. There are many very good sugestions there. If you can get to both sides of the broken tap, try shattering it with a center punch and a BIG hammer.

Grind any part of the tap that extends above the trunion then drill a new hold in you bullet guide counter sink it and dirll a new hole. Taps can be very hard to get out once broken. Find a small left handed drill bit a good industrial supply store should have them. Once the bit bites into the tap it should reverce it out.

Good luck.

Any good gunsmith can put them in for you.

When tapping turn 1/2 revolution then reverce a 1/4 turn. Make sure your useing the correct bit to start with.

I was able to use a center punch to beat the broken tap out of the trunnion. I am back to tapping again with a 6/32 tap. My problem now is that I can barely turn the tap before it starts flexing. I am afraid to put too much force on it after breaking the first tap. The Tap Handle that I am using is also stripping out. It is brand new. What am I doing wrong now. I am putting oil on the threads as I turn the tap. Thanks...Mike

I was trying to install a bullet guide in my Saiga .223 today. Unfortunately I broke the tap off in the trunnion. I really don't think I will be able to install the guide myself. Is there anyone you guys can suggest that could install guides in two Saiga .223 rifles??? I have finished the pistol grip conversion and have the bullet guides. I will be using Galil Orlite .223 mags in my rifles. Thanks for any help.....Mike........ :unsure::unsure:

Get a broken tap extractor. Duh!

Its a 4-prong thing that slips into the vertical channels of the tap. They work great!

Got to 8/32 get drill bit and tap from hardware store or home depot or lowes

get 8-32 screw

Thats the way to go. exact same thing happened to me when i converted my x39. drill out the hole bigger and retap. The bigger 8-32 tap is less likely to break. If i had it to do again, i would have just started with 8-32 and been done with it

I was able to use a center punch to beat the broken tap out of the trunnion. I am back to tapping again with a 6/32 tap. My problem now is that I can barely turn the tap before it starts flexing. I am afraid to put too much force on it after breaking the first tap. The Tap Handle that I am using is also stripping out. It is brand new. What am I doing wrong now. I am putting oil on the threads as I turn the tap. Thanks...Mike

Also check that the tap is going in straight and on the same axis as the pilot hole.

I drilled the hole larger and tapped it for a 8/32 screw and it worked just fine. Problem now is I have lost my bullet guide !!! This is really been an excercise in futility............. Thanks to all the people for hints and suggestions. I do appreciate it....Mike

..... After work tonight I was able to make my own bullet guide. It took quite a bit of grinding and drilling but I got it made. I also got a screw and installed it. The problem I have now is the bullet feeds fine but the tip of the bullet is nicked when I eject it. It seems the bullet is hitting just a small distance below the bullet chamber. I have beveled the barrel below the chamber a little but am not sure how much metal I can remove. Where do the bullets hit on your conversions??? Are the bullets dinged if you eject the round ??? I am using Wolf FMJ and Galil Orlite 35 round mags. Thanks............... Mike..........

Hey before you go grinding away in the barrel chamber and find your self

with a Fubar gun, do this, make another ramp, no not bebel the ramp yet

install it and try to see how it feeds and what happens, well after seen

what happens and if dont work, bebel a little and try again, keep doing

the bebel on the ramp, until you get a clean feed, but just take a little

on the bebeling at a time, that means that you will be fitting the ramp

progresible until you get a good fit and there it goes.

Now to makes things easy, go home depot get a 3/4 black steel niple

from there, like 6 inches will be ok, ask the guy on the plumbng department

to cut the nipple with the pipe cuthing machine that they have on the store

ussually all home depots have one, ok cut about 1/2 long rings

from the nipple, you will get like few rings if you want out of that nipple,

now that you have the rings, cuts rings with dremel to the size of the ramp

that you need for the rifle and you will have as many ramps as you want

by the way the guy at home depot will look at you, like you are some nut case

cause he will be tiking what kind of plumbing are you doing with a

black steel nipple cut into 1/2 rings.

I made another bullet guide today. This one is longer in hopes it would raise the bullet up a little more. Unfortunately it is still hitting the barrel below the chamber. So I made a small shim out of aluminum flashing so that I could put it under the bullet guide so it would be raised slightly. The bullet still hits the barrel just below the chamber. Just a little though. It chambers fine but the bullet is still dinged a little on the tip. All I need is a small bevel in the area under the chamber. My Sar-3 has a rather big one compared to what I need to make this rifle feed correctly. Any more words of wisdom ???

No I dont think you going to die, just to be shure look at the cases after you fire the gun

if any start to look all bulgy up by the butt of the case then you have a problem

if not just keep on firing the damn thing :)

One thing before you fire your gun, look at the guy next to you at the range

and say this, hey bro do you want to try my gun, hey shoot all the

30 round on the mag, if the guy survive and the thing dont blow

you ok, just kiding :) .

Edited by vjor

It's hard to tell by the pic, but if there is too much of the case unsupported where you dremeled it out, you'll have a case head rupture. It will blow the magazine out of the gun and send brass particles everywhere.

I would wear some gloves and eye protection before firing it like that and just chamber one round with the magazine out of the gun.

Also, some cases have more support then others with a deeper solid head, so some ammo may not blow out, while other ammo will.

I saw a full auto Valment like that, where a guy had dremeled it WAY back to feed from Galil mags. It blew out every round. The barrel had to be replaced in that one but it was cut back farther then yours.

Use extreme caution when testing, my friend.

Tony

No offense taken.....Just learning the hard way..... All advice and criticism welcome....Mike.... :unsure:

Like Tony said it is hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like you didn't go to far into the chamber. If the same or more of the case is supported than in your SAR you should be good to go. Just check your first couple cases in the head area when you fire brass cased 223/5.56, to be safe.

:killer:

I took the Saiga to the range today. I fired a Wolf FMJ and a Remington brass cased FMJ. The cases looked fine. Luckily Bill Alexander ( Alexander Arms) showed up. I showed him the beveled area and he said I was fine. He said his AR-15s have more exposed casing than my Saiga. I let him fire a few rounds and he was impressed.

I went back and fired about 80 rounds of Wolf FMJ and HP. Only had one failure to feed with a Wolf HP. I have to polish the bullet guide and beveled area so I think this will not be a problem. Was really impressed with the accuracy of this Saiga. I was hitting plastic soda bottles at 110 yards with open sights. I fired a few more brass Remington rounds and still no problems.

Now I need to polish the bullet guide and beveled area. What should I use ??? Is there a Dremel tool for this too ??? Thanks........... :up:

Yeah, glad you got it working. :up:

I remembered seeing a post awhile back on the Galil mags in the Saiga .223. Wolverine tested the Bulgy .223 Waffles & some synthetic Galils....223 Magazine Field Test I thought it was sort of related.

I haven't tried the synthetic Galils myself, but they seem to be a popular item these days. Dunno if they're worth the trouble. The steel ones could be modded easier - change the front catch to aim the stripped rounds into the chamber...

Is good to see you ok, your gun ok and every body happy,

you dont need to polish the ramp or bullet guide

but if you want too, get a polish kid for dremel

they are like 7 bucks or 10, they come with

mandrel, few polish weels and the polish

compound and you can polish it

like a miror if you wanted too.

Now that you are polishing stuff, polish the ears of the hammer

and the underside of the claw on trigger, were it touches the

ear on the hammer and trigger will get a little more

crisp, make it look like a miror and really

will get crisp.