Hey guys,

Added an 870 to the collection today, much to the annoyance of my wife.....kidding....seriously though, this one is going to cost me in some way....lol. Found an 870 wingmaster 12 ga for sale for $100, in probably 95%+ shape. take 3 inch shells, the wood is in great shape. Guy even tossed in the case for free. Not sure what i'm going to do with it just yet...may keep it as in and get into skeet, or may get the pistol grip and go home defense with it.

Either way i'm happy as hell to have this gun. Was just too good a deal to pass up.

A good Wingmaster is hard to beat.

Sounds like you got a real good deal.

Stick it in your closet......or chop down the barrel to minimum legal limit and get tactical with it....either way you can't lose..

Yup....good deal indeed.....same guy was selling a Spartan 20 ga single shot for $200 and a BSA 20 ga over under for $300....

think i got the best deal out of that bunch....

and no paperwork....cash and carry......gotta love it!

Think i'll find myself a nice smoothe bore slug barrel for it.....came with a 28-30 inch vent rib barrel....would have to cut that down a lot and deal with the rib....

• 2 weeks later...

if it is anything like the savage shotgun I replaced the pump forearm on, the steel ring that retains the wood at the front, is actually threaded... and needs to be loosened and removed. Once that is done, the wood will pop right off... *IF* it is like MY Savage, that I replaced the wood on...

:smoke:

I called someone at a sport store and he said its wedged on. I looked and that is what it looks like. I called Gander Mountain, they have a gunsmith but will not be there till Tuesday. I left a number for him to call me back so I will just wait. But if anyone can help i would be helpfull. Thank you.

I called someone at a sport store and he said its wedged on. I looked and that is what it looks like. I called Gander Mountain, they have a gunsmith but will not be there till Tuesday. I left a number for him to call me back so I will just wait. But if anyone can help i would be helpfull. Thank you.

There is a tool made to remove it. Check with Brownells, Midway, Numrich and other parts/tool distributors.

Hello, Ranger

If you are thinking of spitting slugs, you may want to check into the Knoxx recoil-absorbing pistol grip stocks. It's an awesome product. Remington is shipping their tactical 12's with 'em to LEO's and such.

The stock forend can be easily removed with no special tools if you just remove the pump slide assembly. If you go to the Remington site they may offer a download of the owners manual that details the steps. It's very simple.

Guido2, Houston

To remove the 870 forend like someone else said you have to remove the slide. There are tabs inside the receiver that you press on each side to release the slide. Then if you have the tool it is very easy to remove the forearm. It can be done without the tool though. There is a retaining ring in the front of the forearm with two slots in it. You just have to get it to unscrew and the slide will come off.

Edit to ad: Check out this link it might help. http://www.atigunstocks.com/installation/S...00-install.html

By the way Good price on the 870. I have an Express Magnum 870 that I gave $150 for at a pawn shop. I also have and 870 Home defense Express Magnum that I bought new. It was around $350.

Edited by jtoddellis

Hey guys thanks for the comments and info. I have not decided on the stock options yet.....that wingmaster is so damn pretty as it is.... i just picked up a matching 20" smooth bore rifle barrel for $130 shiped ( i know...more that i paid for the gun...but hell...new those things are about $200-250 range.....its nuts!...anyway...so for $230 total....i have one hell of a home defense gun, deer hunting gun (though honestly...i'll probably still use my 870 20ga (my first real gun.....gift from my dad at age 13, and it will never leave me.....) for that (PLENTY of knock down in that puppy.....never had one get away yet!...an much less kick and lighter to carry....)...and swapping the barrel....it is goose/turkey time....

the knoxx stock looks intersting, but i have read about a few people getting their faced bashed by that recoil mechanism.......my shoulder can take a lot more than my face can......i'm too pretty to be pummeled....lol.

• 2 weeks later...

ok...my 870 now has the 20 inch smooth bore deer barrel (frack the sabots...i want to shoot cheap and my 20 ga smooth bore had landed me plenty of deer over the years!).....will be getting a sling set up next...have a shell carrier on the buttstock, and at 25 round belt loaded up with #7.5 shot.....which should be just fine for home defense i my small home......without penetration of many walls....mine or the neighbors....

next step....stockpile wolf buckshot.....

and maybe get mag extensions.....for both my 12 and 20......