Conversion on RAA Saiga

Has anyone performed a conversion on one of the new RAA Saiga .223's? I just got one and it already has a hole where the bullet guide would mount to the trunnion. I'll have to measure it and see what size tap will work. The x39 I got at the same time does not have this predrilled hole :cryss: Also it looks as if the plate covering the standard AK trigger mounting position is a solid part of the entire plate covering the bottom of the receiver :cryss: If it was welded on they did a damn good job of it. :blues:

• 2 weeks later...
Angry, You have the gun I want... I have mine on order, and I'd love some advice so I could build what you did.

my only advice is to buy all the parts your gonna need before you start ripping stuff apart. That way you can do a test fit before you start drilling stuff. Also, it is very helpful to have a friend who has a mini-mill :)

The pistol grip nut I got was two thick where the retaining spring was gonna go back in, so I had to mill a notch in it for the spring. other than that, it went all together with no problems. Mine had all the holes already there, so I just had to bolt it all together.

Just got my .223 RAA Saiga. Looks to me like the conversion will be pretty straight-forward - square cut front trunnion (looking at using bar stock instead of pipe for the bullet guide, as per other threads here), hole for the pistol grip nut already cut, and I've even got a gap between the "trigger plate" and the bottom of the receiver (you can see light through there in a few places ;>). Looking forward to converting this puppy into something closer to a 100% legal (and 100% reliable ;>) (and 100% recognizable ;>) "AK"...

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my RAA .223 the other day from On Point Firearms ($242 delivered + $10 for the FFL) - my first SAIGA and of course, my first conversion :)

I've been reading these forums for months now and following along with everyones projects so it was a pretty easy thing to do the first time. The RAA .223 I have did have a hole in the trunnion as well as the PG hole and single hook trigger hole.

Of course all I had to do was carefully remove three rivets holding the plate on the receiver and break the spot weld on the trigger guard. Then I put everything together with a Warsaw pact length stock (KVAR) and a Galil pistol grip (ACE) and a single hook G2 trigger group (Red Star Arms). I plugged up the holes with 3/16" black nylon hole plugs (Lowes) and touched up the bottom of the raw metal receiver with Krylon Hi Temp BBQ paint (Walmart).

I am still waiting for my .223 followers to arrive for my East German bakelites so I haven't done the mag well conversion just yet - thats OK though as it gives me some time to study up on how I am going to do things...

:)

post-4181-1160010668_thumb.jpg

Edited by ROMAD