reloading the x39

hi all,

let me ask a question, is anyone intrested in giving me a few pointers/words of advice when it comes to reloading for the 762x39 ? i have read alot of threads on here and am looking for a site for some instruction.. but i was wanting to refer to the guys here with some experience in the matter... im interested in hunting rounds/weights only..

Do you have any experience reloading? If not then get yourself a reloading manual. The Lyman manual is a good place to start. I have been loading since 1972. Its a fun hobby in itself. I would guess that most of the members here dont reload much for the 7.62x39 as the factory ammo was available cheap until recently. Im thinking of getting a set of dies now because of the price increase. You will find that auto loading rifles may slightly damage cases. Usually this is ok as the reloading process will iron them out. You will also need a brass catcher as the cases are thrown out well away from the gun. A good reloading forum is Beartooth Bullets. Most reports on reloading the x39 report better accuracy than factory ammo as you can tailor the ammo to the gun. Soft point bullets are available for hunting and the American brands have a good reputation. For the AK I would get the Lee brand dies and a Lee factory crimp die. For hunting I would probably use the CorBon factory 150 grain ammo. The bullet makers have 123 to 125 grain weights and these should be just fine for white tails or black bears. Pick up a manual and read the directions. If you have any questions post again and I will try to help.

nope i dont have any reloading experience yet. i understand what your saying and argee. thats the reason i want to reload, better rounds for hunting, 150 grain or whatever my rifle likes best.

i was looking in the rcbs or lee kits they offer, they seem to me a good place to start.

i'll definately check the beartooth site,

...many thanks

is anyone intrested in giving me a few pointers/words of advice when it comes to reloading for the 762x39?

I did a write up just about this a month or two ago...

Full article on loading x39 in general.

My FAVORITE for x39 -- Hornady V-Max

Link to my post after testing Hornady V-Max reloads in my SKS!

Edited by handyrandyrc

great post, thanks .. im starting to think that this is something that i'll actually be able to do ..

yeah, i just checked your comm bloc site too, very nice, although i dont have much to offer, i'll check in once in a while, maybe wiht a few dumbpot questions ..

cheers

Edited by scibaer
It is still cheaper to buy factory 7.62x39 than to reload it unless you are wanting some V-Max bullets loaded up.

yeah, maybe so. i can get a 20 round box of wolf 123 gr. around here for about $4 a box.. but the performance of these on deer isnt so great.. they usually blow righ thru the animal and that causes the deer to run, and if they get to the river or over the draw then its a bitch to get them ...so im looking at making up some better stuff, heavier and something that will expand and knock the deer down.. besides i will reload for all my guns not just the x39..after i learn how..and yeah the v-max bullet in 147 or 150 gr. would do nicely, not to mentiion i beleive that handloading makes for a potentialy better more accurate shot, which cant hurt either..

but your right too ofcourse, if i just wanted to shoot and shoot alot, i could go and buy wolf bulk ammo, which by the way i have, but i want to do something different. i never modded my rifle for assult or combat situations, i use it soley for hunting

cheers

yeah, ive been looking at different reload equipment, mostly in the form of kits, it seems that i can get started with less money that way. but, it there really a big difference between makes ? is rcbs betten lee, or whoevers stuff ? seems lee is lot less expensive then the others . ive been looking at the rcbs kit in a box or the lee aniversary kit.

slainte

I reload the 7.62x39 for a bolt action rifle I have. No brass chasing here. Use Russian stuff for the AK types as it is still less expensive than reloading. If you do go to reloading for you Saiga, some brass manufacturers use standard large rife and standard small rifle primer sizes in their cases. Whatever you do use a CCI No. 34 large rifle primers or CCI No 41 small rifle primers when loading for the AK types in 7.62. The firing pin in these rifles is free floating, not retained by a rebound spring and can cause a slam fire. The CCI 34 and 41 primers are extra hard to prevent slam fires from occuring. (the 223 and 308 have a rebound spring) You will also need to full length size the cases when used in semi-auto rifles.

Edited by aka108

Plenty of manufacturers make bullets for 7.62x39 in different weights and for different sporting purposes. You may find a large supply of brass cases at your local firing range. Seems a large no. of people buy new Win and Rem ammo and leave the cases behind. (Must be rich). Win cases take large rifle primers and Rem or Peters take the small rifle primes.

The CCI 34 primer is "large rfle" size and the 41 is "small rifle" size. Check out the size of the primer cup on Winchester case head and the size of the cup on a Remington Peters case. Both primer sizes are same hardness.

Edited by aka108

The RCBS die sets are BETTER than the lee sets. The tolerance/precision in the machining is superior to the Lee's.

As far as presses go... by all means go with the LEE!!! There isnt much you can fuck up with a press...

I have used RCBS dies in LEE presses for years...except for the 50 BMG set... that is a total LEE kit... I got the WHOLE reloading kit for the 50 BMG from Lee for like $130.00... you cant even BUY RCBS reloading dies for the 50 BMG for less than about $225.00!!!!

Standard RCBS die sets are about $20.00-$25.00 comparatively priced to the LEE die sets.

So... to rehash...

Buy LEE presses and use RCBS dies in them. :up: :up:

:smoke:

The RCBS die sets are BETTER than the lee sets. The tolerance/precision in the machining is superior to the Lee's.

As far as presses go... by all means go with the LEE!!! There isnt much you can fuck up with a press...

I have used RCBS dies in LEE presses for years...except for the 50 BMG set... that is a total LEE kit... I got the WHOLE reloading kit for the 50 BMG from Lee for like $130.00... you cant even BUY RCBS reloading dies for the 50 BMG for less than about $225.00!!!!

Standard RCBS die sets are about $20.00-$25.00 comparatively priced to the LEE die sets.

So... to rehash...

Buy LEE presses and use RCBS dies in them. :up: :up:

Hmm, I kinda prefer the Lee carbide dies to the RCBS ones myself. :unsure:

Seems the Lee dies resize more of the case (even though it is just a cunt hair more) leaving less of a case ring on the outside than the RCBS.

The RCBS dies do seem more sturdily constructed than the Lee though. I think the ammo made in the Lee dies is more concentric than the RCBS fodder though. :cryss:

Hmm, I kinda prefer the Lee carbide dies to the RCBS ones myself.

I have never used those... Are they significantly more expensive?

I know the standard RCBS and standard LEE dies are pretty much comparable on price, thats why I like the RCBS better... they seem better made than the STANDARD LEE dies... That is all I can honestly comment on...

I have never seen/used the Lee Carbides... maybe I should get a set to try out! :up:

Hmm, I kinda prefer the Lee carbide dies to the RCBS ones myself.

I have never used those... Are they significantly more expensive?

I know the standard RCBS and standard LEE dies are pretty much comparable on price, thats why I like the RCBS better... they seem better made than the STANDARD LEE dies... That is all I can honestly comment on...

I have never seen/used the Lee Carbides... maybe I should get a set to try out! :up:

Where are you shopping for them at? MidwayUSA is currently (I think?) selling the Lee carbide pistol dies for $20 and change for a set (which includes the shell holder, which you have to buy separately for the RCBS) while their sale price for RCBS carbide pistol dies runs $33 and change right now. :unsure:

RCBS dies (I agree!) do feel more solidly made, but I think Richard Lee is on to something with his accuracy guarantee on ammo produced with the Lee dies being more concentric than with other brands. :killer:

AH-HA!

I see you reference PISTOL dies...

I have NEVER purchased, nor used any pistol dies... so that is totally foreign territory.

I am just going with costs of standard rifle reloading dies, where I quoted the prices from...

I got some at Gander Mountain recently... paid close to $24.00 per set for RCBS dies ( .204 ruger and .223)

Ordered one from either Midway or Graf... forget which... 7.62X54R... again... just about $24.00...