If I were to screw build an AK, what type of screws work and look the best, and where can I get them?

The kit link that the AK cockmaster gave you is accurate, but purists call screw builds crap.

They work just fine, just use lotsa loctite. Rivets exist to eliminate costly machine steps anyway, so maybe if the commies weren't so cost-conscious they would have use screws.

Hmmmmmm..................................

If I were to screw build an AK, what type of screws work and look the best, and where can I get them?

The kit link that the AK cockmaster gave you is accurate, but purists call screw builds crap.

They work just fine, just use lotsa loctite. Rivets exist to eliminate costly machine steps anyway, so maybe if the commies weren't so cost-conscious they would have use screws.

Hmmmmmm..................................

Just to add a little to the never ending debate..........I did screw builds at first because I didnt have the tools to do a rivet build. When the modified bolt cutter riveter came along I started doing rivet builds.....its faster and easier than screws.

Ihave 2 screw builds and they are still going strong....plan is to convert them to rivet at some point .....but no hurry on this as I have several other kits to build first.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also build an AK using U drive screws which are either pressed in or hammered in. For the magazine well you'll have to insert a piece of cutoff pipe or a cheap socket while you hammer in the fasteners. KillerOne wrote the tutorial for the U drive screw build: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=184

I built a Yugo using U drive screws because I drilled #10 clearance holes instead of #10 tapping holes and used #12 U drive screws from the local Fastenall dealer. I shot a couple hundred rounds with no indication of the screws backing out and KillerOne who wrote the tutorial states that he shot a few thousand rounds in his U drive screw build.

• 3 weeks later...

I did some reading today about doing screw-builds. Damnit! Now, I think I'm going to have to do one. I need a every-day, beat-through-the-brush on a 4-wheeler rifle. A screw-build seems to be exactly what I need to do.

I called Arsenal today to see about getting a pre-bent, rails-installed, heat-treated reciver (yeah, I know REAL builders bend flats-- but I don't have ANY of the necessary tools) It seems that I could do a really nice Rommy-G build for around the 200-ish range. Since I have promised myself that I'll never sell another gun, it would be a keeper so it wouldn't matter if it was a screw-ishnakov

I may have to do a few over the next year.

John