AK style handguards

Check out the for sale section, and at the top, stickied, is DINZAG's for sale section. He makes a BOLT ON retainer for that... no gunsmithing needed... just install, tighten screws and enjoy!

:smoke:

Ah, yes, I PM'ed him about that a few minutes after making the thread. The sticky says it is still in progress, unless you know something that I don't?

Check out the for sale section, and at the top, stickied, is DINZAG's for sale section. He makes a BOLT ON retainer for that... no gunsmithing needed... just install, tighten screws and enjoy!

I wish I had known how close Dinzag had been to finishing that project when I started my conversion. Grrrrr...oh well, I'm almost done now. But for anyone that's wondering, a retainer that doesn't require removal of the GB, FSB, and notching the barrel is worth wayyyyyy more than $60.

Let's see, the conversion has cost me:

$22 for LH Retainer from K-var

$27 for new GB from K-var (not 100% necessary, but I ruined mine and had to replace it...there's also a chance you'll need to replace the FSB for $50 if you mess it up)

$6 for new pins since I drilled some out and bent others

$20 for blow torch to heat metal enough to get the pressed parts off

$25 for a vice that worked as a ghetto press

$25 for other tools needed (pin punches, sand paper, dremel accessories, files, drill bits, etc-even if you have these, you'll break some and wear out others)

Add about 10 hours of frustrating labor (don't believe me? you try it! maybe with a press and vjor's press plates it'd be doable in only an hour or two, but be prepared for a lot of re-finishing work if you use hand tools like me...also plan on having a buddy help for some of it.)

So costs for the tools needed and replacement parts, plan on $100. Then mix in the cost of labor and you're up to $150-200. And chances are your gun will still show some blemishes. Holy hell I wish I had just bought Dinzag's $60 retainer.

Edited by AegisDei
Also, FYI, the AKM/AK74 gas tubes will fit if you grind them down on the locking lever chamber.

Do not get AK-47, they are too short.

So with your retainers, a different gas tube is not necessary, correct? With the retainers, the upper HG will fit and be secure, and the lower HG will as well, no extra parts needed?

Also, FYI, the AKM/AK74 gas tubes will fit if you grind them down on the locking lever chamfer.

Do not get AK-47, they are too short.

So with your retainers, a different gas tube is not necessary, correct? With the retainers, the upper HG will fit and be secure, and the lower HG will as well, no extra parts needed?

Here's a pic...no, for the 3 rifles you will need an AKM/AK74 gas tube and mod it to fit. Make it look like the Saiga gas tube where the RSB locking lever meets it - or buy a modded one from me.

My retainer is exactly like any other AK retainer, it just holds the lower HG on and a cleaning rod. :up:

post-2093-1168222046_thumb.jpg

Edited by dinzag
lol - Scoutjoe will be reporting back on the installation of his.

They will be up within a few weeks if my AKM retainers ever show up.

Thanks guys!

I was wondering if I was allowed to chime in or if I was sworn to secrecy

Send your lady friend up to tell me how it's working...that's fine with me. :up:

The one that buys me gun parts or the one in my avtar?

Or did you want the woodsy one that rides 4-wheelers and packs a .45?

gotta be specific man :rolleyes:

Scoutjoe=serious pimp.

riiiight you just keep telling yourself that, the one in the avatar is enganged, the one that buys parts for me is spoken for (by me) and the other one is a good friend. The friend is actually on her way over here we are going to go pick up a pistol for her dad. Oh and you don't bitch slap them..they all can shoot, well.

I wish I had known how close Dinzag had been to finishing that project when I started my conversion. Grrrrr...oh well, I'm almost done now. But for anyone that's wondering, a retainer that doesn't require removal of the GB, FSB, and notching the barrel is worth wayyyyyy more than $60.

Let's see, the conversion has cost me:

$22 for LH Retainer from K-var

$27 for new GB from K-var (not 100% necessary, but I ruined mine and had to replace it...there's also a chance you'll need to replace the FSB for $50 if you mess it up)

$6 for new pins since I drilled some out and bent others

$20 for blow torch to heat metal enough to get the pressed parts off

$25 for a vice that worked as a ghetto press

$25 for other tools needed (pin punches, sand paper, dremel accessories, files, drill bits, etc-even if you have these, you'll break some and wear out others)

Add about 10 hours of frustrating labor (don't believe me? you try it! maybe with a press and vjor's press plates it'd be doable in only an hour or two, but be prepared for a lot of re-finishing work if you use hand tools like me...also plan on having a buddy help for some of it.)

So costs for the tools needed and replacement parts, plan on $100. Then mix in the cost of labor and you're up to $150-200. And chances are your gun will still show some blemishes. Holy hell I wish I had just bought Dinzag's $60 retainer.

Uhuh...And you scoffed at me wanting to charge you $80 to do that for you... :lolol:

Sorry man couldn't resist!

Hey good job B!

Uhuh...And you scoffed at me wanting to charge you $80 to do that for you... :lolol:

Sorry man couldn't resist!

I didn't "scoff," :haha: I just didn't think I could afford it. :unsure:

Needless to say I ended up paying about the same doing it on my own, but I wanted the experience and tools too. I picked up some new punches ($10), a blowtorch ($15), and a vice ($25)! :devil: (I love adding to my tool collection)

And I'll appreciate the conversion more since I did it myself this time.

That being said, $80 is a great deal, but you'll never see me offering my "experience" for that low. I don't think anything less than $1000 could convince me to try another handguard conversion again! Maybe the gift of a press and Vjor's press plate, but short of that and I'm not touching another HG swap!!!

But it was worth it: I'll unveil my new Hungarian/Russian beauty this weekend.

Thanks for the offer though Cobra, you're the man!

Just ribbin ya man. Anytime you need some help with something, you know where I live. I've got vjor's press plates now and I'm getting a press soon. Agri Supply has a 12 ton now for 89 bucks.

Your right, money can't buy experience, good or bad and you will be much more proud of having done it yourself.

Hello

What type of lower/uppers would fit on a S-.308 w/ Dinzag's clamp-on mount and mod'ed gas tube? Would US made AK-74 stuff from K-Var fit the bill?

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Guido2 in Houston

Yes any stamped receiver furniture will work fine. For the 308 you will need to remove some material from the inside of the lower handguard to fit the bigger barrel. I've fit one to a S-12 so I know the plastic ones will fit the 308. No issues with the upper HG. :up: