Atlantic or do it yourself ?

I have dealt with atlantic in the past and they are great people to deal with. that being said my question is this,would it be better to buy their saiga ,already converted for $589 or buy one from them for $279 and use a Dinzag kit? I know they come with new FCG,grip,and stock,but is it worth over $300 for it? :dollar:

I originally thought it was too much for me, but I did it in one night and with only one stop at a hardware store. :P

For the basic parts that you need, figure about $140. I got a couple other things while I was at it, but not necessary.

If you don't have a decent dremel or drill, figure in at least $60. If you do already, you only need some addtional bits and discs, some beeswax, and various screws/bolts.

Besides that, some basic tools (pliers, screwdriver, hammer/mallet) are required.

So, at the worst, you will be down $220-250. You will also have the knowledge and experience if you were to ever do it again. Plus you don't have to be without your rifle for 3 (or more) weeks!

If you want to pay extra for the A++ craftmanship, it is not a bad deal. But from now on I will always say...

Do it!

everythings a matter of Time and Materials . You're either using yours or paying for someone elses . There's nothing in the job that you couldn't duplicate yourself . There's plenty of knowledge on the board , someone can answer just about any question you run into . Will

everythings a matter of Time and Materials . You're either using yours or paying for someone elses . There's nothing in the job that you couldn't duplicate yourself . There's plenty of knowledge on the board , someone can answer just about any question you run into . Will

I vote do it yourself. It's not a bad conversion at all. It'll save you money and give you a higher appreciate for the gun. And it will add to your tool collection!

However, if you're the type that likes things PERFECT, then get a pro to do it. Even the best home-conversions will have "beauty marks" unless they have access to a sand-blaster, welder, and some sort of coating medium (duracoat or equiv). The average home-conversion will have slips from dremel wheels, pop-in rivets to fill holes, magic-marker, BBQ paint imperfections, etc.

But these beauty marks add character IMO, and unless the gun remains a show piece it will get scratched when shot. You'll prop it up against a wall and it will tip over, you'll scrape it against a bench, you'll pack two guns in one carrier, etc.

I added a new "Saiga Parts" section to the Tromix website the other day. The prices are about the same as anywhere else, but you don't have to pay shipping from several different outfits to get your stuff. I will be adding more items in the future.

Also, the items like the G2 fire control parts are already modified to "drop-in" and include the pin retainer and disconector spring. The Halo handguard is modified for charging handle clearance and coated to match your gun. The fixed stocks are modified to go all the way into the receiver.........ie, all the parts are tailored/modified to fit the Saiga specifically.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

www.tromix.com

Edited by TonyRumore
I added a new "Saiga Parts" section to the Tromix website the other day. The prices are about the same as anywhere else, but you don't have to pay shipping from several different outfits to get your stuff. I will be adding more items in the future.

Also, the items like the G2 fire control parts are already modified to "drop-in" and include the pin retainer and disconector spring. The Halo handguard is modified for charging handle clearance and coated to match your gun.........ie, all the parts are tailored/modified to fit the Saiga specifically.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

www.tromix.com

Now you tell me!

Oh well, next time I guess. Nice job!

Now I am going to have to buy more Saigas, just so I can buy your stuff to convert them!!!

As if 9 isn't enough... now I will have to have more! :up:

:smoke:

You have nine saigas?!?!?

I thought Cobra was the only one that was approaching that many...

• 1 year later...

I bought mine preconverted from Atlantic Arms. I have over 500 trouble free rounds through it and I'm very pleased with it. I am also very happy with the customer service I got from Atlantic. A few bashers have said the conversions offered by Atlantic and Classic Arms, etc... use sub standard parts but NONE of them have offered any facts to back that up. Mine appears very well put together and it shoots like a dream.

DIY if your up to it, research your ass off, my gun didn't have a precut PG hole so that took most of the time, the rest of the time was migging the holes shut then grinding them flat, so its pretty labor intensive to have a real nice fit and finish on the gun, but in my opinion, you get a better appreciation for the gun