Scope Mounts???Scopes?

I need some opinions guys and gals. Im looking to put a scope on my gun, which is a 308 ak Saiga and has a 16 in barrel with a pistol grip Im not sure which scope mount I should go with. The cover mount or should I get the russian side mount? What other mounts are available? Also which scopes would work best? Im looking for tactical yet powerful, and under $500. Im racking my brain. Everthing at my local sporting goods dealers as far as scopes are to long. Thanks for any help.

I have a Saiga 223 with a side mount. I purchase the 4 X 24 POSP scope with an illumintaed reticle for just over $100. To say the least I am very impressed and pleased with the package. The scope can be removed from the rifle and is spot on when slid back on. The 6X might be a better choice for the 308.

I need some opinions guys and gals. Im looking to put a scope on my gun, which is a 308 ak Saiga and has a 16 in barrel with a pistol grip Im not sure which scope mount I should go with. The cover mount or should I get the russian side mount? What other mounts are available? Also which scopes would work best? Im looking for tactical yet powerful, and under $500. Im racking my brain. Everthing at my local sporting goods dealers as far as scopes are to long. Thanks for any help.

If you want to give Eastern Bloc optics a try, you could look into a POSP scope. They are made in Belarus by what used to be a Soviet-era state company. I have one on my S308 that I use for hunting (8x42VD). At 100 yds, I can get 3 bulls eyes in about 1.5" (using only a front rest). It also has a lighted reticle (an expensive option with the major scope makers), and it has a range finder for estimating distance. It's all metal, and well built. There are those who don't like them because they are side mounted, and zeroing will require compensating towards the right. But once zeroed, you shouldn't have any problems (I don't). Total cost w/ shipping about $160. Food for thought......

I would suggest the bp02 side mount in the low profile version, I got mine from eastwave and I`m very pleased with it.I have a simmons "master series" scope I bought from Wmart for something like $50 or so,it gives very good performance for the $$.

But if you have $500 to spend on a scope I would say go for it and get the best glass you can,I have been looking at the Leupold clones comming out of china.The reports I`ve read on them have been very positive thus far.

http://www.masterblastersbullets.com/page2...ml#LeupoldClone

After I get my tax refund I`m going to get a pair of these,one for the saiga and one for the savage tactical.

saigaonbench.jpg

Hello, Mac54

I went this route and really like it. The IOR Valdada stuff is not the cheapest, and this model is only 3x, but it seems to be a good fit for a short-barrelled carbine type rifle. Illuminated reticle, incredibly finely-etched glass, bright and clear with quick acquisition. The IOR mount is as low as it can get, perfectly centered, and solid as a rock. The cheek-weld with my Ace SOCOM seems perfect. I also picked up a 6x32 (eBay) that I'm going to check out on this 16" .308.

It is Romanian-made, heck, that's eastern bloc, right?

post-3965-1168520302_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1168520332_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. It was driving me nuts! Bossman, thats the identical gun I have, very nice btw and I like how you have it connected. I take it the snap on cover that has a rail on is is junk and something not to get? Side mount system all the way?

Yes mac, the top cover mounts are to be avoided,they were developed in the days of MAK90 rifles which had no side rail,they were crap then and even more so now.

Here`s the mount you want: http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/mountsksak.html

Since eastwave doesnt have a shopping cart you`ll need to e-mail them and tell them you want item number #0701

The page is kind of confusing since it shows the "high" mount in the big picture and the "low" mount in the smaller pix,the low mount is what I have.Just tell Dmitry in the e-mail that you want the low version.

Hello, Mac54

I went this route and really like it. The IOR Valdada stuff is not the cheapest, and this model is only 3x, but it seems to be a good fit for a short-barrelled carbine type rifle. Illuminated reticle, incredibly finely-etched glass, bright and clear with quick acquisition. The IOR mount is as low as it can get, perfectly centered, and solid as a rock. The cheek-weld with my Ace SOCOM seems perfect. I also picked up a 6x32 (eBay) that I'm going to check out on this 16" .308.

Holy Sh%^^T!! I googled that scope, you must be loaded. By "Not the cheapest" did you mean "The most expensive". I'm just messin' with you Guido, that thing is nice!

Hello, Mac54

Holy Sh%^^T!! I googled that scope, you must be loaded. By "Not the cheapest" did you mean "The most expensive". I'm just messin' with you Guido, that thing is nice!

eBay RULES!!!

(i.e.-"never pay anything NEAR retail")

Thanks,

guido2 in Houston

I'm relatively new to gun collecting, so my wife does not understand me wanting to buy a new gun every month. I'm gonna have to get her used to me spending money on this hobby before I start buying stuff like that. I'll eventually throw a trijicon on mine, but it's gonna be a while!

Guido2: Do you have the sporter stock AND a pistol grip? How?! Did you cut it down??

Edited by shaneman153a
I'm relatively new to gun collecting, so my wife does not understand me wanting to buy a new gun every month. I'm gonna have to get her used to me spending money on this hobby before I start buying stuff like that. I'll eventually throw a trijicon on mine, but it's gonna be a while!

Guido2: Do you have the sporter stock AND a pistol grip? How?! Did you cut it down??

Hello, shaneman153a

Naw, I took this pic while I was waiting for my backordered Ace SOCOM stocks and stuff to arrive.

Here's how it looks now (except now it has a 20 round mag, of course!)

post-3965-1168624233_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1168624249_thumb.jpg

respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Yo Guido2, what kind of bike?

2003 Duck ST4s ABS. With a name like Guido, what else can I ride? You ride? Another TX poster, Crow, has badass duck's (and other bikes) and lives in the Austin area...(hmmm...twisted sisters? YES!!!) As soon as I get off this 70/80 hrs. a week crap, I'm gonna beg him for a guided tour.

We all need to get together and meet, do some hill country strafing, etc....

The best,

Guido2 in Houston

Yes mac, the top cover mounts are to be avoided,they were developed in the days of MAK90 rifles which had no side rail,they were crap then and even more so now.

Here`s the mount you want: http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/mountsksak.html

Since eastwave doesnt have a shopping cart you`ll need to e-mail them and tell them you want item number #0701

The page is kind of confusing since it shows the "high" mount in the big picture and the "low" mount in the smaller pix,the low mount is what I have.Just tell Dmitry in the e-mail that you want the low version.

Thanks Bossman..Appreciate it.

Houston's not that far from Tulsa....I was just out your way last month.

Hello, Bob

You ride? Bring that motorbike to Houston, we'll surprise you with some exceptional roads (deer as optional rolling obstacles...)

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

• 3 weeks later...

I feel your pain Brother!!!

i have a little setup that i'm thinking of selling. it's all brand new.

i have the belarus weaver mount in black like bossman shows in his pic.

i ordered a compact 4x32 rubber armored scope with bullet drop comp reticle, dual lighted red and green with 3 brightness settings each. I LOVE THIS SCOPE!

only thing is i don't have 30mm rings for the scope (i never wanted to order a set and end up paying overrated shipping charges) and nowhere local sells 30mm rings! can you believe that!

also i have a receiver cover scope mount. it locks up tight with set screws in rear. didn't like that setup either.

i'm wanting to get rid of all of it.

i'll piece it out, or make a deal on all of it.

ya'll pm me b/c i don't check this site daily.

How well are these centered? I got one that looks alot like this one and it is off centered...