average carbine groupings??

Just curious as to what size groupings other short Saiga .223's are doing.

I've used 62gr Adcom, 55gr Malaysian, 60gr Black Hills, Brown Bear 62gr

Silver Bear 62gr, 55gr Federal, 55gr Rem and a few others, including my own reloads

with 68 and 69 gr HPBT's.

No matter what ammo I use, including my own reloads, my group sizes

are pretty much 5-6 inches for 100yds.

For a .223 that I paid $270 I am perfectly happy, don't get me wrong.

I can do a 3" group with a .35REM @ 200 yds and sub 1" groups with a .22 Marlin @100,

so don't say it's me.

Is there any cheap accurizing tips?

The trigger creep doesn't bother me one bit.

My Saiga is bone stock other than the scope mount, rings and scope.

Edited by BlackDog
Doesn't anybody want to answer me??

You could at least tell me I must suck at shooting

or tell me you can shoot 1" groups. :devil:

In all honesty, I've (so far) just been 'function firing' my Saiga, to check various changes made during the conversion. FWIW, 5-6 inches isn't bad for an iron-sighted AK in the hands of an average American gun owner. That's 'minute-of-brain-pan' at 100 yards - who really needs more? I know there are folks who can do better, but they would have to tell you if it's a result of the hardware (their rifle) or the software (the shooter), or both.

(By the way, that means you don't "suck"... ;>)

I took a pair of .223's out the other day and fired about 10ea 5 shot groups at 100 yards through each one using a variety of loads. One averaged 3" and the other averaged 2.75" with all the loads combined. Both were scoped with a 12x Leupold Target.

Tony

Thanks! What scope mount are you using?

WYK

I took a pair of .223's out the other day and fired about 10ea 5 shot groups at 100 yards through each one using a variety of loads. One averaged 3" and the other averaged 2.75" with all the loads combined. Both were scoped with a 12x Leupold Target.

Tony

My scope mount is an STG 973? something from Cheaper Than Dirt. The scope is a cheap 3-9x BSA from CTD also.

They aren't loose, I had put Loctite on ALL the screws too.

I know all the trigger creap can't be good, but I don't think it is too bad on my accuracy.

THis is my inexpensive 223, I wan't really going to put a scope on it originally.

Anyone want to help me shoot some reloads??

post-4463-1170368839_thumb.jpg

My scope mount is an STG 973? something from Cheaper Than Dirt. The scope is a cheap 3-9x BSA from CTD also.

They aren't loose, I had put Loctite on ALL the screws too.

I know all the trigger creap can't be good, but I don't think it is too bad on my accuracy.

THis is my inexpensive 223, I wan't really going to put a scope on it originally.

Anyone want to help me shoot some reloads??

Sorry, Compadre, I'm just running military surplus right now. Any one else have some input? Frankly, the Saiga barrel is pretty dang 'heavy' (ask me how I know ;>), so any 16" barrel (or other) reload recipes would be of interest, no matter what firearm you worked them up in...

Thanks!

;>)

I am really doing the reloads for my mini-14. and it is well

documented how innacurate the mini's are with the noodle barrel.

I have been following the basic safe recipes for reloads so far from the IMR website.

I was hoping the reloads would also be more accurate out of the Saiga too, but ??? it doesn't look that way.

I got some lighter bullets to try in the Saiga.

I am down to under 3" groups with heavier grain bullets on the mini. I plan on bedding the mini and getting a barrel stabilizer (accustrut type thing) and hoping for under 1.5" groups.

how are you resting the gun?a shooting rest?bipod?my home built romainion 7.62 with handloads is 1.75 group at 100 yards with scope,my par 3 .223 with scope is about 2 inches with wolf steelcase both with bench rest..kman

The club I belong to is rather "modest". They have shooting benches and the rest is up to you. I usually rest the front of grip on a rolled up carpet right near the strap mount loop and the my left hand steadies the back of the stock into my shoulder. I do most of my shooting that way. Including a 2.510" group at 200 yards with a Marlin 336.

That green/blue book that came with my Saiga said the shot variation was 86mm or so.

It certainly looks like this scope mount is inline with the barrel. Sorry for the angled pic.

It feels solid and I can't detect any wiggle at all.

post-4463-1170421185_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlackDog