Halo "black anodized" quad rail

Hey is it just me being a valley bitch again or is anyone else very disappointed in the Halo rail they spent $250 on and ended up with someting that does not even come close to looking black anodized? I would say OD green is a lot better description.

Not taking anything at all away from the design or the great quality of the rail system but WTF happened with the color? Now before you ass kissers start flaming me for talking shit about a major MFG and how they have so much to offer us ...Blah blah blah, let me stress that this is a public forum where it is ok to discuss likes AND dislikes about new products for our favorite weapons.

when I saw the pic Guido2 posted of his gun I thought it was OD green.

I personally thought it looked cool! but I like OD green.

I understand your frustration if you thought it would be BLACK!

Slap on some green furniture and you'll have slick looking rig!

Edited by Juggernaut

Hello, Cobra and Juggernaut

Yeah, I was a bit underwhelmed at mine when I got it and saw how it didn't match.....I have a feeling if it was mated-up to OD green, it would't match that, either...Kind of an off-gray color, I guess. I reckoned Halo was in a big rush to get these on the market, and didn't really do color-testing or anything prior to doing a whole lot of 'em.

I guess my concern now, is, what can we do about it? I'm no metal finisher dude, but it would seem the anodizing would be an excellent base to bond DuraCoat or equivalent to. One though would be if the additional coating might make the rails a bit tight-fitting with mil-spec picatinys, perhaps?

-At least the rail is small enough that it could easily be heated in something like BadBob's coating oven?

Respectfully as always...

guido2 in Houston

I plan on duracoating this one but the cost of the kit I bought to do so was about $50. That's cool and all because I can use it to do several more guns, but as a heads up, it's worth it to pay the extra money to get the duracoated one instead.

It seems to me though, that if they are a reputable company, they should offer free return shipping and ship you a new one for the small extra fee for the other one if anything at all, to make up for their oversight. Maybe I just expect too much as a consumer...

I have not asked them about this but thought it would be a good idea to bring this to anyone's attention that is cosidering buying one.

I bought mine from them face to face at Knob Creek last year, got home, saw it didn't match, and sent it to them in Washington state for Duracoat. I decided if I was going to pay that much, I was going to get black. They were real nice about it, only cost like $10 or something.

When I ordered mine (got the dura coat) they were awesome!

even offered to install it for free as my gas tube prevented it from fitting correctly.

(I had to cover shipping) they also had to grind the rear site.

It kinda seems stupid to have a dovetail on the rear sight if there going to "set" them in at the factory anyhow.

How come Halo doesn't seem to have any representation on the forum?

*snip*

Edited by Juggernaut

That's good to hear that Halo stands behind their product and will go out of their way to help the customer.

Moly resin is very nice. How does duracoat compare to it in scratch resistance and durability? Is it more expensive than duracoat?

When the Halos were first about to come out i musta tried 10 times to get a answer on what color matched the gun best.I wasnt sure to get the black anodized or pay the extra for the Duracoat.They never posted on there site or here the color differances.I even talked to the head of Halo and he said they were quote(black hammered anodized but not completely dark black) he was a real friendly down to earth guy and all and swayed me to the anodized.So i ordered the black anodized.When i got iti didnt like it and was pretty bummed about it.I contacted Halo and they said they would Duracoat it and send it back free since i was one of the first to get one.I went ahead and mounted it to the gun and attached the scope,vertical grip,ect and the more i looked at it the better i liked it,i never did send it back.Id describe the color as black/grey with a tint of OD green?? Some pics i have seen here posted with the rail look alot more OD green than mine does. But yea,they when they say anodized BLACK it should be black.

Hey, am I correct in the assumption that once you install a Halo that you can't re-install it an a different gun without having some

"play" where it joins with the receiver?

They come with a very nice detailed set of installation instructions that says they are designed to adapt to the shape of your particular receiver so you have to tap them into place with a rubber mallet. After it's removed and put on another rec. it probably wouldn't be that much different as to make it loose. It's just a good snug tight fit that first time you install it.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, I was debating on getting one of them or that new Ultimak Saiga 12 setup. I was leaning toward the Halo. Well that outfit in Oregon will oneday sell them off so let's hope it's soon.