Stupid Mag Questio

I don't know if this question has been asked or if anyone has checked this out.

Will a Saiga .308 non-stacking mag fit a saiga .410? Or, are there conversion opportunnities for the 308 to work in a 410?

I ask this because the 308 and and the 410 are real close in size. I can put a 303 and a 243 in my 410 mag. These cartriges fit and manuever as easily as the 410.

Note: I only experimented with the fit in the Magizine, I did not and do not advocate chamberring anything but the 410 in your 410 saiga.

Thanks

K.O.

I guess my only question is... "WHY?!?!?!!?"

Why would you want to try to fit 308 mags in a 410? The 308 mags are far more expensive than the factory 410 ones...

Am I missing something?!?!

:smoke:

It seems that the 308 hi-cap mags are more easier to come by. Or is that wrong?

Yes, I guess the hicap 308's would be easier to come by than the original 10 rounders for the .410...

I just dont think it would be cost effective. You will pay around $50.00 for a 20 round .308 mag... to butcher it up to (try) to make it work in a .410... may not work in the 308 after that... and probably wont work RIGHT in the 410...

You can buy the proper mag for about the same from England from rusmilitary.com

Might have a delay in getting it... if its not in stock... but it will be the RIGHT one...

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I guess the hicap 308's would be easier to come by than the original 10 rounders for the .410...

I just dont think it would be cost effective. You will pay around $50.00 for a 20 round .308 mag... to butcher it up to (try) to make it work in a .410... may not work in the 308 after that... and probably wont work RIGHT in the 410...

You can buy the proper mag for about the same from England from rusmilitary.com

Might have a delay in getting it... if its not in stock... but it will be the RIGHT one...

Just my 2 cents.

You are probably right, I don't know.

After being bitten by Ruseller on a 10 rounder I am cautious about ordering from acreoss the big water.

Was only curious if anyone had done any leg work on the 308's.

By the way, I have not been active on this forum in quite a while, are 10 rounder's legal now?

Thanks

K.O.

Not a stupid question at all. The FBMG 20 rounder would be sweet if you could use it with the 410.

Unfortunately I've played with them thinking the same...

#1 - the 410 shells sit at a very steep angle - follower needs to be modified.

#2 - the 410 shells require more curve to the mag than what the 308 ones will offer.

#3 - There is no rim channel to help contain the 410 round being it's a double-stack.

Now a non-stacking magazine may be feasible, but I can't think of any off hand.

Not a stupid question at all. The FBMG 20 rounder would be sweet if you could use it with the 410.

#2 - the 410 shells require more curve to the mag than what the 308 ones will offer.

#3 - There is no rim channel to help contain the 410 round being it's a double-stack.

I thought someone on this forum may have experimented with this. I would have been disappointed if someone had not.

I thought I saw non-stack versions at Rusmilitary.com. don't remember the capacity. I would be interested in donating a couple to whoever has experience in 'value-engineering' of this kind of stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

K.O.

I thought someone on this forum may have experimented with this. I would have been disappointed if someone had not.

I thought I saw non-stack versions at Rusmilitary.com. don't remember the capacity. I would be interested in donating a couple to whoever has experience in 'value-engineering' of this kind of stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

K.O.

Sorry, rusmillitary only had 7.62's and I think they were all double stacking.

Yeah that was the trouble with the G-3 mag. Although cheap as dirt at 3 to 5 bucks ea they are doublestack.

Okay, dumb question time... Why can't a double stack mag work with .410? The old and very reliable .303 British SMLE had a 10-rd double stack mag... or was it usable because of the taper of the rounds?

I think the big problem is the rim of the 410 and no taper...

My PSL mags are double stack, and those cartridges have rims... so ya gotta be really watching when ya put them in that you dont overlap the rim on one with the next one above it...

ALTHOUGH... Honestly, I dunno WHY it wouldnt work with the 410...

• 1 month later...

My PSL mags are double stack, and those cartridges have rims... so ya gotta be really watching when ya put them in that you dont overlap the rim on one with the next one above it...

Being a gunsmith I have quite a few crap mags laying around and I was just thinking about making my own 10ish round mags for my fathers saiga, actualy was going to go do it today but didn't feel well so im still here "my shop is at my parents house still I just moved" anyhow I will try to remember to update this if it works out ok and or if I start selling them, From the preliminarly measurements it very well may work will take some tweaking but I have worked on mags before for my 6.8 rem spc.

Right now im thinking about making 10+ round 2 1/2" mags The reason im looking at 2 1/2" is I reload .410's in brass .444 cases so dont have 3" shells around much if at all.

Anyhow I think I may run down there yet tonight and get started, if I get anything accomplished I will post some pics if I got this figured right it shouldent take me very long at all to get a prototype running.

• 1 month later...

Being a gunsmith I have quite a few crap mags laying around and I was just thinking about making my own 10ish round mags for my fathers saiga, actualy was going to go do it today but didn't feel well so im still here "my shop is at my parents house still I just moved" anyhow I will try to remember to update this if it works out ok and or if I start selling them, From the preliminarly measurements it very well may work will take some tweaking but I have worked on mags before for my 6.8 rem spc.

Right now im thinking about making 10+ round 2 1/2" mags The reason im looking at 2 1/2" is I reload .410's in brass .444 cases so dont have 3" shells around much if at all.

Anyhow I think I may run down there yet tonight and get started, if I get anything accomplished I will post some pics if I got this figured right it shouldent take me very long at all to get a prototype running.

any update?