I have a Saiga .308 and it is my firs AK type rifle. I would now like to buy something that would accept high capacity mags. I considered building one, but my free time is limited. I have been looking at the wsar 10 on gunbroker. I just found an FFL to ship through today. What is the cheapest place to buy a high capacity AK. Also are there any particular models I should stay away from. There is a gun show about 2 1/2 hours away from me this weekend and I may try there. Any help would be appreciated.

you might try an SAR1 from www.southernohiogun.com WASR10's are cheap, but they take single stack mags if i recall correctly, without being modified with a dremel. you can get mags of 20 rounds for like 5 bucks if you look around, and 20-30 for 40 rounders, drums are like 90. if you have the opportunity to check the serial # on the SAR1, the last four digits are the year it was made or imported. get one that is 2000+ that is what I would suggest. WASR 10 would be a second choice to me, but thats just me :)

Due to this ruling all WASR-10 rifles imported use the single stack 10rd mags.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/assault/treasrelease.htm

Century Arms imports them and converts some of them to use hi cap mags. So the wholesale price as imported for the 10rd mag version is $179 and the converted one's that use hi cap mags are $255.

If you have a FFL to ship to have him order one from

http://www.classicarms.us/htm/firearms.htm

• 5 months later...
:killer: I have a saiga Mak 90 I need banana clips and new stock,Iwould even like a laser site .

there magazines, not clips. if you have a slant cut mak90 your stock choices are limited. check ironwooddesigns.com for slant cut furniture. AK's also are not AR-15s. dont destroy a perfectly good rifle by hanging alot of crap off of it!

Wasr-10's are either high-cap or low-cap. http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml has some great info on all the romanian rifles.

classic arms has good deals on NOBAN wasr's. http://classicarms.us/htm/firearms.htm

I own a wasr 10 hi cap, it is a century arms job, when they converted it to hi cap they must have opened up the magwell too much cause the mag rattles a bit in there. The gun is crudely finished and just a rough weapon all around. That being said it has also never jammed, misfired or malfunctioned in any way. (yet) They are the cheapest available in general. Norinco AK's are much more well made but that comes at a price. I havent handled the sar's or maadi's so I cant say anything about them, but like I said the wasr is a reliable but poorly finished arm, good for the money IMO.

hope this helps

I DITTO LEGONAS!!!!!

and *NO* NOT all WASR 10's take single stack... they make them in double stack hi cap too! Mine is a WASR-10, and it takes hi cap mags!

NOBODY can touch the deals from www.classicarms.us

HES GOT THE BEST PRICES!!! and the best selection as far as what you want in what quality.

from $179.99 for single stacks, that can be modified in 5 minutes to take a hi cap... to $319.00 for an afterban with muzzlebreak, and bayonet.

I have purchased 5 rifles from classicarms. $12.00 shipping no bullsh!t

great guy...1 704-684-0650

you will NOT be dissapointed you called him BEFORE YOU BUY ANYWHERE ELSE!

:smoke:

Edited by IndyArms
Indy, I gotta ask....How big is your arsenal? Will they all fit in one gun safe? Does your wife have a sister?

Arsenal =

2 Saiga 12 gauges ( 19 and 22" )

2 Saiga 20 Gauges (19 and 22" )

Saiga .410 19"

Saiga .308 wood 22"

Saiga .223 16"

Savage .204 Ruger

Rossi 22/.410 combo

Ruger 10/22 SS rifle

Ruger 10/22 carbine

Romanian PSL sniper rifle

Yugoslavian SKS

WASR-10 afterban config

Mosin Nagant M91/30

Mossberg 500A pump 26" vent rib barrel

Mossberg 835 3 1/2" chambered pump w/ rifled slug and vent rib barrel

Marlin .17 w/SS bull barrel

I think thats it.... :) hehehe

It needs to be a BIG gun safe... lol

No... she only has three brothers... ( they dont swing THAT way! LOL!! )

Edited by IndyArms
Indy, I gotta ask....How big is your arsenal? Will they all fit in one gun safe? Does your wife have a sister?

Arsenal =

2 Saiga 12 gauges ( 19 and 22" )

2 Saiga 20 Gauges (19 and 22" )

Saiga .410 19"

Saiga .308 wood 22"

Saiga .223 16"

Savage .204 Ruger

Rossi 22/.410 combo

Ruger 10/22 SS rifle

Ruger 10/22 carbine

Romanian PSL sniper rifle

Yugoslavian SKS

WASR-10 afterban config

Mosin Nagant M91/30

Mossberg 500A pump 26" vent rib barrel

Mossberg 835 3 1/2" chambered pump w/ rifled slug and vent rib barrel

Marlin .17 w/SS bull barrel

I think thats it.... :) hehehe

It needs to be a BIG gun safe... lol

No... she only has three brothers... ( they dont swing THAT way! LOL!! )

Oh, Oh. Show pics time. I know guys with over a thousand, not even the widest of wide angle lenses will handle that.

End of last year I was running about a hundred, but have started selling them off.

But they aren't a hundred Saigas! My collection was based on Russian/Soviet-Bloc/Finn going back to the late 1800's. Here's about 75 of them.

post-8-1107847760.jpg

OK. Here are my questions. If you buy the $179 Century Arms single stack import does it have the original Romanian parts on it: Grip, gas piston and 3 piece FCG?

If so, when you open the magazine port to accept high capacity magazines are you subject to the requirements of 922r? That is do you have to come up with 5 parts since it is an imported rifle originally intended to hold not more than 10 rounds but is now capable of holding a magazine of 30 or 40 or even a drum of 75?

If you must do the same conversion that Century has been doing such a shit job on (I know because I have a high cap. WASR-10) why not buy a nice Saiga in 7.62 and do the conversion on it? You will have a nice quality Russian gun with better after market parts than Century puts on that is for damn sure.

Any comments?

Indy, you apparently have done this. what about the 922r implications?

Wolverine

the low cap models are 100% romanian no US parts. i BELIEVE converting it to hicap would then make it "nonsporting" and you would have to get the required US parts added.

a WASR can be converted in under 10 minutes and any "bubba" in his garage can do it. no new parts to buy if u dont care about 922r.

saiga conversion require special tools and minor skill. i would guess 2-4 hours for the conversion. new trigger and stock. more mods just to get the "correct" front furniture on.

the wasr-10's might not look good, but they function 100%. most "bubbas" in there garage can fix that finish up with a can of hitemp krylon from walmart for 5$.

I have NEVER *DONE* the low cap to hi cap mod on a wasr 10... I bought the hi cap...

BUT I spoke to a couple guys at the range that HAD done it... all you do is round out and widen the magazine hole... and then your hi caps fit, you are golden.. its THAT easy...

WIDEN THE MAG HOLE...

As far as compliance.... WHO would know... .unless they RUN the serial number to see if it was orginally hi or low cap... that just seems kinda SILLY to me, as they wouldnt know by looking if it was originally a hi or low cap design....

I'm not fully acquainted with the history of importing the Romanian WASR's but unless I am mistaken all WASR's from Romania were imported as low caps and converted in the US to be a high cap with Century adding the shit parts here so as to comply with 922r.

While not likely if someone looked at the WASR and it was stock Romanian parts throughout but could accept high capacity mags due to widening or cleaning up the mag well port wouldn't it be clear that you are in violation of 922r?

If not why doesn't cheap Century arms simply widen the port and throw in a high cap magazine without investing their lousy parts and labor in changing the grip, gas piston, and 3 pc. FCG?

My point is, yes buying the $179 WASR is cheap but you have the same issues that a Saiga 7.62 does in order to comply with the (922r) law. That being the case, I'd take the Russian quality anyday over the Romanian, and I own both. You are correct about the issue of affixing upper and lower handguards on the Saiga versus a WASR.

To make my WASR-10 "acceptable I put on a Mojo peep sight, reworked the deplorable wood finish, installed a blackjack buffer and new grip as well as a new G-2 FCG. It could still use a paint job too.

It is not a bad rifle, just not a great one. If I were doing it over again today I wouldn't buy the hi-cap ($299 at Dunhams) but would get the $179 low cap and rework it myself. I ended up doing it anyway for over $100 bucks more that could have gone into the 922r compliance parts I ended up replacing.

Edit: see the new posting on BATF ruling on Saiga modified for hi-caps:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=3754

Edited by Wolverine