Bullet guide do-it-yourself jitters

I'm planning on getting one of dinzag's bullet guides, but I'm having to fight off cold-feet-like thoughts about actually doing the mod myself.

I've never machined or screwed around with any of my guns before, so I'm understandibly nervous about doing it. To anyone who's done this mod themselves, can you share any experiences with the procedure, difficulties, if any?

I appreciate it.

Get the kit! I fitted the guide and marked the hole. Put the receiver in a vise on the drill press. Set drill press for slow speed (mine was 600 rpm) and let the machine do the work. the bits Dinzag supplied went through the receiver like a hot knife through butter.

When it comes to tapping the hole, go slowly and use lots of cutting oil. 1/4 turn of cut and back out to clean tap. It took a little while, but at 1 point I got impatient and went too far and thought I'd never get the tap to move again w/ out breaking it. LOTS OF OIL!!! If you have a tap handle w/ the alignment extension, put it in the drill press to keep it aligned. Otherwise, slow and careful. Also, don't tap too deep. I forgot that the bottom of the receiver was covered and dimpled my receiver trying to tap to the bottom of the tap.

I'm planning on getting one of dinzag's bullet guides, but I'm having to fight off cold-feet-like thoughts about actually doing the mod myself.

I've never machined or screwed around with any of my guns before, so I'm understandibly nervous about doing it. To anyone who's done this mod themselves, can you share any experiences with the procedure, difficulties, if any?

I appreciate it.

First, re-read what Ax-Man posted. He has it right. It's really not a big deal, if you go slow, and follow the directions.

FWIW, I installed one of dinzag's bullet guides in my Saiga, AFTER I had got part way through installing a home-built-experimental-WECSOG bullet guide. Bottom line: the threaded hole I had to deal with was slightly off center (not a problem with a home-built bullet guide, but it didn't quite line up with dinzag's precision-machined piece of Saiga hardware). Still not a problem - I made some minor modifications to dinzag's guide, and the bullet guide screw, and everything locked down tight, and my Saiga functions 100% reliably.

If I can deal with problems like that (my own fault), and produce a reliable firearm (which it is, 100%), I think you are 'good to go,' no matter what you might worry about.

Once again, just go slow, and follow the directions. If you have any questions, I'm sure dinzag can answer them for you (and ask them before you start - or stop working when you think of them, and get in touch with dinzag before you continue). Frankly, 'clocking' an FAL barrel (which is considered pretty easy) is a lot bigger pain-in-the-@ss, in my opinion, than installing a Saiga bullet guide...

;>)

Also, you don't need to be 0.001 mm accurate in the task, either.

I did mine sitting on my couch, with the rifle across my thighs (no workbench... yet... long story), and when I was done, it was clear the hole was just a tad off-center. It works fine! :super:

Bill

I did mine sitting on my couch, with the rifle across my thighs (no workbench... yet... long story), and when I was done, it was clear the hole was just a tad off-center. It works fine! :super:

Bill

'Like he said...'

;>)

Ax-man, my fault. As the x39 flat-cut trunnion guns are fairly new I don't have one to photo to do the instructions.

Maybe one of you flat-cut x39 guys could hook me up!

The round trunnion guides don't fit under the barrel, but the flat-cut trunnion guides do.

Yeah, if you have a drill press, that is the way to go.

Drill through the trunnion, but not through the bottom of the receiver.

While still in there, put the tap in the drill chuck and turn it in by hand.

If ya do it by hand, after drilling, put the drill shank in the hole and check out the angle.

If it is off, just align the tap to that angle.

The key with tapping a hole is to have the tap on axis with the drilled hole.

I supply plug taps so they have some taper for easier starting.

Taper taps have more lead-in threads, but you need more depth to get a full cut.

If all else fails, you can go up to the next size screw, or just drill completely through

and put a nut on the bottom.

Edited by dinzag
Ax-man, my fault. As the x39 flat-cut trunnion guns are fairly new I don't have one to photo to do the instructions.

Maybe one of you flat-cut x39 guys could hook me up!

The round trunnion guides don't fit under the barrel, but the flat-cut trunnion guides do.

Yeah, if you have a drill press, that is the way to go.

Drill through the trunnion, but not through the bottom of the receiver.

While still in there, put the tap in the drill chuck and turn it in by hand.

If ya do it by hand, after drilling, put the drill shank in the hole and check out the angle.

If it is off, just align the tap to that angle.

The key with tapping a hole is to have the tap on axis with the drilled hole.

I supply plug taps so they have some taper for easier starting.

Taper taps have more lead-in threads, but you need more depth to get a full cut.

If all else fails, you can go up to the next size screw, or just drill completely through

and put a nut on the bottom.

Great! How thick is the trunnion in the .223 (I have the round one, of course)?

This topic's got me confident that I can do it, now all I need is the kit.

Bill

same here lol. No room for a workbench in my apartment. I did put some epoxy on the guide and loctite on the screw to keep anything from vibrating loose

Okay, we got the subject of whether or not I do the bullet guide down, now how did you guys do yours? Did you take the barrel out of the rifle and vise that down, or did you just put the whole lower rceiver into the thing and commence that way?

Which may be easier?

If you get your bullet guide from dinzag it will come with complete insructions. No you don't have to remove the barrel. You don't really even need a vice. I did mine on my pool table in about in about ten minutes.

If you get your bullet guide from dinzag it will come with complete insructions. No you don't have to remove the barrel. You don't really even need a vice. I did mine on my pool table in about in about ten minutes.

A pool table? With a drill press??

I used a hand drill and a tap and die set from harbor freight. If you have drilled as many holes as I have,(or not) you don't need a drill press. It's a very simple procedure to drill and tap a hole in 3/16" of steel.

• 2 weeks later...

I do apologize if I am asking a repetitive question here. I have looked into the 922r guidelines. Would installing a Dinzag bullet guide to use USA made hi-cap mags w/ no more US made parts be a violation of the 922r?

Thanks again... :angel:

I do apologize if I am asking a repetitive question here. I have looked into the 922r guidelines. Would installing a Dinzag bullet guide to use USA made hi-cap mags w/ no more US made parts be a violation of the 922r?

Yes--you're still a couple of parts shy of compliance with 922r.

As you've already heard, yes, but let me offer a different way of looking at the situation. The question isn't how many US-made parts you have; the question is how many foreign parts you have from the list of 20 key parts. Have over 10 of those foreign key parts - no matter how many US-made things are also attached to the gun - and it is a 922r violation to use a high-cap mag. The only way to satisfy 922r is to replace some of those foreign key parts with US-made parts.

But, the real reason for my post. I'm finally done with my conversion and with the exception of the initial disassembly (how can that go wrong?), the only, only, only, step that worked as well as it should have was the installation of Dinzag's bullet guide.

... the only, only, only, step that worked as well as it should have was the installation of Dinzag's bullet guide.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but everything seemed to go OK for me, except the friggin' spot weld on the plate that covers the bottom of the receiver. That spot weld was a real SOB.

My detailed description is here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14322

FWIW, and YMMV...

;>)

Thanks again for the answers. Gotta build up my :dollar:'s a bit & decide what direction I want to go w/ my Saiga. Right now my .223 is working well for me right off the shelf.

I do need to get 2 or 5 more Saiga's though as prices around here are starting to climb. I'd like to get a 12 & .308, maybe 7.62. Do know one thing though, I need to do this before the fu<Kn' Brady Bunch & tree huggers get grabby!! :osama::killer:

Here's to

keep'n barrel's hot & brass fly'n