Need advise on FCG ASAP

i am almost done wirth my conversion but I was wondering, do I need a regular FCG like a G2 or can the Saiga 12 group be moved forward and still work? I have 3 US parts for furniture and a US made 10 round mag so 922r isnt an issue. Would like to save a few bucks and use the standard stuff if possible. Also I have some old Romanian take off FCG's laying around I could use if they would work. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks,

Mike

Edited by turrican
i am almost done wirth my conversion but I was wondering, do I need a regular FCG like a G2 or can the Saiga 12 group be moved forward and still work? I have 3 US parts for furniture and a US made 10 round mag so 922r isnt an issue. Would like to save a few bucks and use the standard stuff if possible. Also I have some old Romanian take off FCG's laying around I could use if they would work. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks,

Mike

If you ever want to use ruskie 5-round mags (and they are a handier size) then it's better to pony up the $40 for a Tapco trigger group. And if anybody ever manages to import some 8-rounders then you'll REALLY wish you had a US FCG.

Edited by XD45

Mike

If you ever want to use ruskie 5-round mags (and they are a handier size) then it's better to pony up the $40 for a Tapco trigger group. And if anybody ever manages to import some 8-rounders then you'll REALLY wish you had a US FCG.

Why wont the stock group work with the russian mags?

It's not that it won't work, it's about the foreign parts count which you need to keep below 10 when you do the conversion. The easiest way is to use the American made FCG. If you do a search on this site you will find the specific info about how to do conversions and the parts count issue.

Mike

If you aren't worried about 922r then go ahead and use the Romanian FCG.

As long as you are under 10 parts it shouldn't be an issue. Just don't plan on using anything other than the 10 rounders....

Mike

If you aren't worried about 922r then go ahead and use the Romanian FCG.

As long as you are under 10 parts it shouldn't be an issue. Just don't plan on using anything other than the 10 rounders....

I have a US muzzle break, pistol grip, stock, and handguard. I think I shoud be good. That with a US made mag puts me at 7 parts Thats more then I have on my AK's!

Yes the other fcg's you mentioned should work, but what the others were saying above is, if you don't use a US FCG , then you will not legally be able to use any of the factory magazines. Of course the Russian mags will still function, but the gun would then not be compliant. You would be limited to using the 10 round AGP mags.

Edited by keyser

Spring for a G2, polish it up, and your good to go. The three compliance parts is just an after thought. A polished G2 has a very nice single stage feel, not as good as the Redstar, but the Redstar is overkill for the s12 and the set screws tend to loosen up over time.

Romanians are known for trigger slap issues, and frankly aren't worth spending the time to tweek with the base price of a G2 in the $35 range and don't have the compliace part benefit. Personally, while your at it, buck up for a pin retaining plate just for ease of use.

While we are talking about it, what type of FCG is the preferred unit for the Saiga-12. Single hook or Double Hook? I am thinking about the Tapco AK G2 Double Hook FCG & Locking Plate referenced above.

While we are talking about it, what type of FCG is the preferred unit for the Saiga-12. Single hook or Double Hook? I am thinking about the Tapco AK G2 Double Hook FCG & Locking Plate referenced above.

Why make things more complicated than necessary? Single hook is usually the way to go with the S12.