I have looked in the tech section and don't know if I need to buy a shepards crook. The sheik's instructions use the original thing but I have read here the shepards crook may be better in the long run? Any thoughts? I would be using the tapco g2 single hook assembly. Is it that easy a caveman can do it?

John

I bought the shepards crook and I like it, but I didnt use the binding posts, I went with the nylon hole plugs. I dont think it matters a shit though, the spring works.

Here's one thing I don't quite understand. I used the binding post in one set of holes, and plugs in the other. If you don't use the binding post, do you have to use a shepards crook? I'm not quite sure where to connect the original retaining spring without the binding post installed.

Yeah, I think so. A normal AK retaining spring looks like this one: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=312&page=1

You can find one of these that will fit your saiga or buy the crook, or you can keep things the way they are until you are ordering more stuff from someone that has them and then do it. I have never really looked to far into this, but I think I'm right. :unsure:

Yeah, I think so. A normal AK retaining spring looks like this one: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=312&page=1

You can find one of these that will fit your saiga or buy the crook, or you can keep things the way they are until you are ordering more stuff from someone that has them and then do it. I have never really looked to far into this, but I think I'm right. :unsure:

Thanks for the scoop. I think I will order one when I order a something else from the same site.

the vice president on "24" was adopted by the wolverines after his jet was shot down. I don't know if he would no how to field strip an AK. I do appreciate your answer on the shepards crook. I think I should get one.

The shepherd's crook retainer was originally designed for milled receiver AK's..The wire is a bit thin for a stamped AK.It can leave the axis pins a bit loose.The "L" shaped reatainer is a heavier gauge and good tight fit in the Saiga.I forget how the original Saiga reatainer looks.You might be able to turn it around to loop over the center support.

"L" shaped axis pin retainers available here

http://www.ak-builder.com

the vice president on "24" was adopted by the wolverines after his jet was shot down. I don't know if he would no how to field strip an AK. I do appreciate your answer on the shepards crook. I think I should get one.

Just to clarify, I mean that the retainer PLATE is the easiest to install and field strip later. it costs about $11 bucks but IMHO is worth every penny.

+1 on the retainer plate!

I can't believe the Russians didn't think of it to start with.

well, once the FCG is in the reciever, a retaining plate is just dead weight. not much dead weight, but still- the AK is so minimal in its design, and the average end user might never need to remove the FCG anyway, so why would the russians bother? For a sporter though it makes perfect sense.