Peep sight brain fart. Could this possibly work?

I have no idea if this would work, but I can't find any faults in the logic. Could I mount this to my 308? I was thinking of putting the front sight right smack on top of the gas block, and the rear sight towards the rear of the dust cover, kinda like Tromix's HK sights. Am I missing something as to why this wouldn't work? Oh, it's a Zephyr sighting system for a 10/22. On my rifle, they'd really just for back up as it'll be scoped most of the time.

post-2652-1175004987.jpg

Edited by greatmoose
I have no idea if this would work, but I can't find any faults in the logic. Could I mount this to my 308? I was thinking of putting the front sight right smack on top of the gas block, and the rear sight towards the rear of the dust cover, kinda like Tromix's HK sights. Am I missing something as to why this wouldn't work? Oh, it's a Zephyr sighting system for a 10/22. On my rifle, they'd really just for back up as it'll be scoped most of the time.

Are the Saiga gas blocks cast steel (probably)or milled. How are you going to tack the front sight to the block?

Not entirely sure. I've got several ideas floating around in my head, the easiest being to simply silver-solder it on. I also thought about making a small dovetail so it would remain adjustable. Another option might be to make a couple of small divots in the top of the gas block and put two screws thru the flanges of the sight, and then tavk on. Of course, there's always JB-Weld! WECSOG, Ahoy!

Edited by greatmoose

I didn't use a welder

I brazed the sight on with a oxy/acytlene tourch. Hardpart was grinding the front sight to fit. I'm sure if you ground the sight down and removed the gas block you could find someone to braze it for you, It wasn't as hard as I thought.

I like the HK sights that Tromix uses. The front sight blade can be replaced with tritium, if you want. The rear sight has a curved underside that fits nicely on the dust cover while the front sight needs to be cut midway down the middle circle which is then welded/brazed to the gas block.

I have two complete sets of fully functional HK sights that I'm not going to use. I'm more than happy to sell them for a bit less than I paid for them. $58 per set to a good home and I'll pay the postage.

Here are some pics of the sights. (I used a piece of my kid's construction paper as the backdrop)

saiga1.gifsaiga3.gif

I realy don't think you are going to solder aluminum to steel very well. Epoxy (Jb weld or such) (I wouldn't) or drill and tap (I wouldn't on a gas block) If you don't want to do like I did. Ace will have their clamp-on front sights again on the first of may they told me via email. It looks ok and might be your best option. ACE AK acessories

look at those and there is some pictures in there customer gallery. I think you would need the small size, but check.

This may be way too involved, but considering how the reciever cover mounted sights move so much...Has anybody thought about modifying an AK side scope mount to be extremely low sitting and mounting a rear sight that way? Granted you would have to remove it to field strip the gun, but it would return to zero every time. In fact, you could probably put a weaver rail on it and mount a short red dot A LA AR15 BUIS.

I like the HK sights that Tromix uses. The front sight blade can be replaced with tritium, if you want. The rear sight has a curved underside that fits nicely on the dust cover while the front sight needs to be cut midway down the middle circle which is then welded/brazed to the gas block.

I have two complete sets of fully functional HK sights that I'm not going to use. I'm more than happy to sell them for a bit less than I paid for them. $58 per set to a good home and I'll pay the postage.

Here are some pics of the sights. (I used a piece of my kid's construction paper as the backdrop)

saiga1.gifsaiga3.gif

That front sight is the same that I mentioned earlier.

They've got them here for pretty cheap.

http://www.robertrtg.com/g3.html

How do you adjust these things for elevation?

Do they have to be set up just right?

The rear sight is typical German engineering which means you just can't twist here and there to bring things into alignment. The rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. Windage is adjusted by loosening the large set screw you can see at the top rear of the sight then using a screwdriver to turn a smaller screw on the right sight of the sight. This will move the sight left or right. As for elevation, there is a special HK tool (or you can use a pair of needle nose pliars) that slips over the drum and down onto the base which disengages the locking tabs thus enabling you to turn the drum assembly up or down. There is not an unlimited amount of travel available for windage and elevation so the sights do have to be installed pretty close to where they should be. The trade off for going through the trouble of correctly installing them is that they look great and, more importantly, work great.

How do you adjust these things for elevation?

Do they have to be set up just right?

The rear sight is typical German engineering which means you just can't twist here and there to bring things into alignment. The rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. Windage is adjusted by loosening the large set screw you can see at the top rear of the sight then using a screwdriver to turn a smaller screw on the right sight of the sight. This will move the sight left or right. As for elevation, there is a special HK tool (or you can use a pair of needle nose pliars) that slips over the drum and down onto the base which disengages the locking tabs thus enabling you to turn the drum assembly up or down. There is not an unlimited amount of travel available for windage and elevation so the sights do have to be installed pretty close to where they should be. The trade off for going through the trouble of correctly installing them is that they look great and, more importantly, work great.

wow.. great thanks, I have always wonderd =)

p.s. we should probably let people know about there peep sight options. B/c it does seem pritty popular.... just my 2 pennies

• 4 years later...

Not entirely sure. I've got several ideas floating around in my head, the easiest being to simply silver-solder it on. I also thought about making a small dovetail so it would remain adjustable. Another option might be to make a couple of small divots in the top of the gas block and put two screws thru the flanges of the sight, and then tavk on. Of course, there's always JB-Weld! WECSOG, Ahoy!

Glad to see another person how knows the "the Dark Tower", one of my favorite book series.

:smoke:

Glad to see another person how knows the "the Dark Tower", one of my favorite book series.

:smoke:

Uhhh, he posted that over 4 years ago...

Nice

threadnecro.jpg

The Dark Tower series was pretty cool, up until the "end" anyway, (buncha bullshit, worse than the last episode of The Sopranos).