Remote Pressure Switch Location - Left or Right?

Which side do you mount your pressure switch on your gun's forend handguard?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Left or Right side on a standard forend?

• Left Side (thumb activated)
    • Right Side (fingers activated)

I would like to find out from you forum members, which side of my shottie's forend handguard (a standard forend; no vertical grip) I should mount my laser site's remote pressure switch? Left side on the handguard, or right side?

Thanks!

Edited by Gary

What the heck??? Would some of you gentlemen (and ladies) PLEASE take my poll?

I would greatly appreciate it... and it will prove to be of great assitance to me.

(I'm planning to bloody CONTACT CEMENT the remote pressure switch onto my foreward handguard, and once that puppy is glued into place... ain't nothing going to be able to pry it off without damaging it. So I need to make the right/best choice the first time.)

Personally I'd go for the part of your palm just below your thumb, more contact than the thumb or the fingers

that being said i'm making that assumption from my 12x14 cell for the week, so i have no shotgun to try out which way i would like to mount it

I beg to differ on the opinion of vote on this. to have a correct weld in your non-shouldering hand, you must have the thumb seated correctly and comfortably, or its no go. on the gun or the support you lean on. if I lose dead aim on my gun when its going off, I wouldnt care about any laser, if it were that jarring to take my finger off the touch switch. If it is a long pressure switch, and it is recessed into the handguard so it FITS right, then, maybe. otherwise, I want mine on the finger grip side, so that it does not affect how I shoot naturally...

now, if all of your shooting is done to connect at 20 foot range, well, turn it on and leave it on whenever you hold the gun. but you WILL turn the aim of the weapon off-target, at range, if you use your thumb to press a switch on and off.

just my 2 cents on it. voted differently, so I thought I would explain a bit why I think that.

You SURE you want to glue it man?

what if it broke or something.... Velcro is cool as well

Just thinking out loud.

I'm a "fingers" guy as well.

You SURE you want to glue it man?

what if it broke or something.... Velcro is cool as well

Just thinking out loud.

I'm with Jugger on that one....something less permanent would be good at first....experiement a bit....once you find something you like then glue that sucker in

as for your original question, i'd go on the finger side....why? ya got one thumb.....it has to be used to hold the fore-end tightly---you can still hold tight with 3 fingers up front and toggle the switch on and off with one finger.

you need that thumb to be a good gripping point, not an irritant with a switch there....i think i'm on the same track as Bvamp with that one.

I'm saying thumb, mostly from trial an error. It seems to be a more natural pressure for the pad on my gun, personally.

I tried it on both sides and found that using it with your fingers caused a less natural pressure and it reflected in my shots.

I would also suggest velcro though, that way if you don't liek it one way, you can swap it around.

Bvamp, Juggernaut and RangerM9 -- I appreciate and respect the knowledge and experience you've shared on this topic with me. My initial instinct was to go with mounting the pressure switch on the left; thumb-hold side (being a right-handed shooter). I believed that having "eyes on" to the pressure switch/pad's location would be easier if located on the left... and as urotu mentioned, putting pressure on the pad via my thumb (versus fingers) seems somehow more natural of a thing to do; more controllable using consistent pressure.

But reading what you gentlemen have stated... and holding the gun a dozen times or more, with slight finger and thumb position adjustments, my thoughts now lean heavily toward your recommendations.

The reason why I obtained the laser in the first place was to have high confidence with obtaining a precise shot location on my intended target, without bringing the gun all the way up to my cheek to utilize the iron sights (hopefully you understand my meaning). In other words, to engage the target using the "point shooting" method (I believe that's what it is referred to). Additionally, in a home defense scenario, I don't see my soon-to-be wife utilizing the iron sights with any degree of confidence, whereas "painting the target" especially under near black-out conditions (yes, the shottie will have a tactical light as well with a constant "on" switch), would be close to ideal.

When holding the shottie using the "point shooting" method versus bringing it up further to obtain a good iron sight picture, I noticed that my finger placement on the forend's right side naturally changes, whereas my thumb placement remains relatively consistent. THAT knowledge now leads me to believe placing the pressure switch on the right side makes the best sense. When I hold the shottie all the way up, targeting with the iron sights, my fingers ride higher on the handguard; they rest on the vents (my gun's forend has the classic vent cuts on it). When I bring the gun down a little, using point shooting, my hand-cradling position slightly alters and my fingers end up resting on the middle horizontal section of the forend. So... THAT'S where I've decided to place the pressure switch. IMO, it makes little sense to engage the laser when using the iron sights.

Additionally, providing I can get my hands on a dremel tool, I believe I'm going to attempt to route-out about a millimeter or so of a depression to further reduce the profile of the pressure switch.

I had Tony Rumore provide me the OEM forend/handguard with my S-20 (all this that we've been discussing is in reference to the Russian Tactical Forend with integrated picatinny rail that is currently affixed to my gun) so any time I want to go bird hunting or use the shottie without all "the attachments," I believe it will be relatively painless for me to swap-out the forends.

PICTURES WILL BE COMING once I've completed this mini-project. I also need to epoxy-in the 2" long hole in the bottom of the tactical forend that was created after Tony removed a small portion of the picatinny rail, at my request.

THANK YOU FOR ASSISTING ME! I now feel much relief and confidence that I'm making the best decision regarding the placement of my laser's pressure pad/switch.

:super: ... :super: ... :super: ... :super: ... :super:

~Gary

Edited by Gary
Just don't glue it if your ever gonna change your mind!

2cents

Well... that will likely depend on how deep I'm able to go with the dremel tool. If I can go deep enough to use velcro without the bloody thing sticking out too much, then I will. But I sincerely doubt that.

Hey, what's the worse that can happen? I could always start from scratch by obtaining another tactical forend, as well as another green laser from eBay. Together, the sum was/is less than a C note. ;)

"No worries mate!"