thinking about a 223

I'm thinking about purchasing a Saiga in 223 in the next few weeks I already have a YUGO 7.62 X 39 that works flawlessly and shoots great. I was just wondering what your personal opinions of this rifle were after shooting it and giving it some breaking in time Pro's and Con's. I don't like to throw my money away I like to make good informed purchases from people that have used the rifle. About the only modifications that I know of I plan on making is adding a scope which I have no ideas what type of mounts are used and taking the stock and forearm off and doing a camo paint job on it any help or suggestions and links to items of interest are greatly appreciated. this rifle want see heavy actions is for occasional shooting pleasure and extra added home defense. Thanks in advance Ronnie.

Edited by res45
I'm thinking about purchasing a Saiga in 223 in the next few weeks I already have a YUGO 7.62 X 39 that works flawlessly and shoots great. I was just wondering what your personal opinions of this rifle were after shooting it and giving it some breaking in time Pro's and Con's. I don't like to throw my money away I like to make good informed purchases from people that have used the rifle. About the only modifications that I know of I plan on making is adding a scope which I have no ideas what type of mounts are used and taking the stock and forearm off and doing a camo paint job on it any help or suggestions and links to items of interest are greatly appreciated. this rifle want see heavy actions is for occasional shooting pleasure and extra added home defense. Thanks in advance Ronnie.

Don't think.....just do it!

seriously....at the price.... for a good semi .223 you can't beat it, reliable, easy to convert for use with Hi-cap mags (get galil orlites, and Dinzags feed ramp), variety of side mount options for scopes, virtually zero felt recoil, and pretty good accuracy....its an AK, not a sniper rifle or long range varmint gun....but for what it is, it is damn good at it.

only con with mine is the dinged up shells on ejection, but if you shoot wolf or other steel cased ammo, who cares, if you are a reloader fro .223....then it can be a pain.

Over all, I love mine.

OK, my take is coming from the POV of a guy who hasn't shot ANY rifle since the bolt-action .22 back when Alan Shepard was our first man in space. I had no idea what to expect.

I had to wait close to a month after I cleaned the packing grease out to shoot it, and was quite impressed that even with my old eyes, I was getting on the paper at 100yds. right off the bat! Recoil was not bad at all, dodging the bouncing shell casings in the corrugated-steel-covered shooting deck was... interesting... that sucker throws it a ways! And yes, dings it up pretty badly, too, but I plan to work on a DIY de-dinger when I can get to the range more.

Since part of my purchase plan was to use it in USPSA competitions (hence the .223 vs. 7.62), I tried a few 50 and 25 yd shots, and was quit disappointed. Couldn't figure out how to get close to the target in the limited daylight I had left.

Couple of weeks ago I got to go back and found out if I use the first "bump" on the sight, instead of the tip, I could get A-zone headshots with ease! Whooppee! I'm a happy camper!

Bill

Get it! Stanleysproshop.com has best price on the internet. Just bought my .223 20" barrel and didn't shoot it alot yet. But I have a 7.62 x 39 for years now and it is great for hunting, plinking, good target rifle, but don't expect it to be a sniper rifle. I tested this rifle over the years and it is reliable. One time I shot 5000 rounds of Wolf Ammo within a period of 3 months without cleaning the rifle just to see how reliable it is. Not even a single jam. I can't think of any other rifle beside the AK variiant that can do that. Saiga has very good accuracy and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

thinking about a 223, Whats your Experience

Can't reply until the weekend or next week... I have one at my transfer dealer awaiting me...

For some reason I get put on the NICS "Special List"... I'm okay with that as long as it isn't the "Short-bus" kind of special list...

I've had my .223 for nearly 6 months and have put about 800 rounds through it in that time. I had a stovepipe on my second round (reloads) and not a problem with Wolf steel case since. I can shoot a 2"-4" group with that ammo at 100yds. I have a POSP 4X24 scope on it but plan to use the open sights more this summer. It does ding up cases.

I did the trigger mods along with a Dragunov buttstock and definitely improved the trigger action (with a little polishing).

I'd go for it if the price is right. Hugo Chavez liked Kalashnikov's so much, he bought 100,000 of them. (AK-103's) Islamic terrorists swear by them too! :osama:

have your dealer check out Ellet Bros. they beat Stanleys by sdome margin. Stanleys was $255, but I got mine, including tax and transfer, for $260! Stanleys is good though, I am nnot knocking them.

Mine didn't have a clip that would fit, & i mean the factory mag, but that is OK, that is what taught me how to modify to suit.

If you buy your trigger guard and FCG from DPH, and your buttstock and pistol grip screw from Kvar, then you only spend $110. Figure $15 for the dinzag guide, and you are in business for $125 in parts, so that means you have for $380. You'll NEVER do that well with any other 223 buzz gun.

Hey, Ronnie!

Allow me to play "the devil's advocate." If you already have a Yugo 7.62 AK, you should also evaluate the ammunition situation. I hear that 7.62x39 ammo has gone WAY up in price (but so has 5.56/.223 ammo). A rifle without ammo is just a boat anchor, IMHO. If you already stock 5.56/.223 ammo (like I did), a .223 Saiga is a very wise choice (again, IMHO). If you do NOT already have a bunch of 5.56/.223 ammo, you need to dial that (plus the cost of whatever mags you might need) into the equation. Maybe sticking with 7.62x39 would be wise - it depends on your financial situation.

FWIW, I love my .223 Saiga - I think I like it just a hair better than my AR-15. God willing (& the D@mocrats don't take over), I won't ever have to choose between them...

;>)

Ammo (LOTS of ammo)...

;>)

Oh, I forgot to mention - ammo PLUS mags (LOTS of ammo plus LOTS of mags)...

;>)

Geez, important details there! And the mags are becoming the cheap part of the equation these days.

Especially for 7.62x39 mags. I've got a bunch I need to get rid of (I decided to concentrate on 5.56 instead of 7.62 - please contact me if you need any 'classic 7.62 AK mags'... ;>)