My brand new .223, with factory magazine dimples

Just bought a NIB saiga .223, 20" bbl, with magwell dimples. It's an RAA import, though it's pedigree says it left the factory in '01. The 4 shot test group size was 97mm, which is 3.8" inches. Perhaps I can do a bit better with high quality ammo. I've added a Valmet ejection buffer, at least temporarily. I hope to shoot it a little on friday, see how it does. I'm not sure if I've got the buffer on correct, I may need to push it back some, but its pretty tight and I'd rather not scrach up the reciever cover if the buffers not going to be a permanent thing.

gallery_4097_142_79737.jpg

<edit> I missread my factory sheet, my saiga left the factory in the middle of 06' not 01'. The date is listed year, month, day.

Edited by JK-47

I drove well out of my way because all my local dealers are either A. pricks or B. unscrupulous and out to squeeze every last cent of cash from me. So I went to a shop I found the address for online. They were actualy great to deal with, I gave them the number for Ellet Bros; though I'm not sure if thats where they got the rifle from. I paid 305$ out the door... but since it was exactly what I wanted I didn't feel bad. I'll allways support the decent store owners over the rest of them. Let me know if you want me to inquire further.

I'm still out of the loop----what difference do the dimples make?

From the little I know so far, I believe they help make a firmer fit for hi-cap mags.

Which, if it's the case that Saiga's usually don't have them, it would seem to me to be a big negative when comparing one to say another AK model like a SAR or WASR.

Just bought a NIB saiga .223, 20" bbl, with magwell dimples. It's an RAA import, though it's pedigree says it left the factory in '01. The 4 shot test group size was 97mm, which is 3.8" inches. Perhaps I can do a bit better with high quality ammo. I've added a Valmet ejection buffer, at least temporarily. I hope to shoot it a little on friday, see how it does. I'm not sure if I've got the buffer on correct, I may need to push it back some, but its pretty tight and I'd rather not scrach up the reciever cover if the buffers not going to be a permanent thing.

gallery_4097_142_79737.jpg

Is that '01 as in Jan. 2007? Not sure but I don't think you could mean 2001!

How well does that Valmet buffer work and how does it work as it appears to be far outside the ejection port? I don't see how it would keep brass from getting dinged. Inquiring minds want to know - mostly to rig up something on our own :dollar:

Well, I don't say '01 and mean '07. According to the pedigree, this gun was manufactured in 2001, unless I'm reading it wrong. It may have sat in a russian shipping crate for years before being imported and stamped. As for the buffer here is a post on that topic, the post title should give you a hint: Valmet ejection buffer works great!

I'm still out of the loop----what difference do the dimples make?

From the little I know so far, I believe they help make a firmer fit for hi-cap mags.

Which, if it's the case that Saiga's usually don't have them, it would seem to me to be a big negative when comparing one to say another AK model like a SAR or WASR.

That it? I mean, I hear that the dimpled x39's can accept standard AK-47 mags.....just wondering this meant the dimpled .223s can accept the '74 5.45 mags.