Check out my converted Saiga12!

I spent all day converting my saiga over! I started at 5:00pm (when I got my parts from UPS) and ended at 2:00am!!! I did it in the true WESCOG style, all I had was a power drill, Dremel, a hammer, small toolset and some files. I didn't even have a hacksaw!!! I spent a lot of time looking for stuff.... I wish I was a little more organized....

Here are some pics:

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

A couple of things I noticed during the conversion:

-The bolt hold open left as is, tends to be really annoying!!! I went ahead and shaved it down and rounded it off so as to not interfere with the trigger. I notice, that it works very nicely if you push up at the second knuckle of you index finger while the tip of your finger rests on the trigger guard. Then just use your left hand to charge the bolt .

-I used the Tapco A2 single hook FCG and the only thing I had to modify was the hammer. Basically, trimming off the triangular portion at the base of the hammer, and trimming down the sides of the hole where the pin goes through, so as to make room for the bolt hold open.

-My saiga had the square cut hole in it for the trigger, but when I installed the trigger, the front part of the hole was too small. This made it so that the trigger didn't move freely, it just barely moved. So, I had to flat file the front edge of that hole to give the trigger clearance.

-I drilled a dimple at the safe position to make a safety stop. It works well, and in non-obtrusive. Leaving the lower safety stop on was a great idea!

-It took forever to drill out the original FCG pins (you know the ones towards the rear of the stock.) I finally realized that they were taking so long because they spin freely.... how annoying.

-You can hook the two spring extensions that go onto the disconnecter behind the tabs on the hammer. This makes it easier to put all the rest of the crap in.

-I fit all my fire control group in the rifle to test it, and then I pulled it all out, painted the receiver and put the FCG back in..... I never want to put another FCG into a AK again..... :ded:

-Ak's are made of some hard ass shit, remember to buy some decent drill bits. Mine sucked and every single one of them is dull now. Use a little oil to lube the bit to keep it from wearing out.

-Shepards Crooks SUCK!!! But if you're like me and don't have a lot of cash (too get the retaining plate), you can put them in easier if you have something like a flathead screwdriver with a notch cut into it. That way it doesn't keep popping out when you have to push that shit down.

-save the old FCG pins, because you can use them as guides for the actual pins. I found it made installing the Shepard crook on the hammer fairly simple. Also, you can use these pins to drift out some of the rivets that you've drilled out.

I'm really happy with the way my saiga12 turned out!!! Now I'm just wondering how hard it's going to kick with such a small and short buttstock...?

Has anyone taken their newly converted saiga12's to the range yet? Were there any problems? How about peoples reactions? I'm wondering if I should carry a copy of that ATF parts count form just in case...?

Hope this post isn't too huge.... :angel:

Actually, now that I've gotten the hang of installing FCG's, I do it all the time just to show off:

Try to install the shepherd's crook so that it is properly hooked on the cross brace, and over the hammer pin. Then push it down (helps if there's a pin at the rear of the receiver to tuck it under. You should have the hook in a static position that retains the hammer pin. THEN put in the trigger pin , while using a screwdriver or pair of pliers to push the hook down into the proper position to allow the trigger pin in. Once you get the pin in, take the tension of the hook and it should all lock in.,

BTW, can you post a pic of where you ground the upper safety stop?

For Halloween78, here's a link for converting a regular saiga(AK47/AK74). I used this as a basic guideline and did some extra steps, and disregarded the unneeded steps.

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

Things I did extra or different:

-grinding the hammer to make it fit. (like how I said in my previous post) Compare it to your original hammer to get the correct fit. I know that my original hammer had the tab on the right side trimmed down, but it didn't seem to be for any purpose. All the FCG group fit and cycled in all instances. Trigger held or not held when cycling the bolt both caught the hammer, safety worked and bolt hold open worked. You should test all these to insure that your FCG is working properly. The hammer should fall to the same position as the original hammer. Grind it and test fit it compared to the original. You can always mark the originals position on the reciever. You can truly test it by installing the bolt and seeing if the hammer can hit the firing pin. I know that without the bolt installed, that the hammer extends further forward. I don't know if this serves any purpose, but I tried to match it.

-used a shepards crook instead of that old retaining spring (a retaining plate would be better)

-left the front most rivet with the boltstop attached to it. This was easier than cutting it off and has a purpose. I used a triangular file to cut through the plate over the trigger hole. It actually worked well, and also left a bevel. (Added bonus)

-drilled a dimple for the upper safety stop. This is pretty easy and you can line it up real easy because of the arc that has been scraped through the paint.

-shortened and rounded the bolt hold open to make it more comfy. Remember, don't shorten it too much. =)

Things I didn't do:

-Didn't make a bullet guide. No reason for it on a Saiga12

-Didn't install the 2 rear pins that the old retaining spring rides on. I just used the shepards crook. This also means you don't have to cut your stock. The old holes are kinda ugly, but you don't really notice them.

-Didn't mod mag. (well duh)

If you don't have some form of dremel with various grinding wheels, I would say this is impossible. Because you'll wear out your arm and your flat files in no time.

Try to get some correct sized hardware. (I had to grind down the bolts I used, what a pain!)

I used a drill to cut out most of the material for the P-grip nut hole. I laid it out, drilled the four corners and then drilled a center hole which I gradually worked bigger. Then I tried to use a grinding wheel inside the hole, but that turned out to be a bad idea since it wasn't small enough. It's better to just use coarse files.

A good center punch would be nice. I didn't have one so I had to be extra careful to keep the bit from walking. I also started every hole with a smaller bit to lessen the chance of it walking.

My mini-mate workbench was indispensable! I would think this job would be ten times more difficult without a vice! :lolol:

My advice is to be careful and try not get too excited. I know that I sure got excited when I first fit that Pistol grip on!!! :devil:

Thanks Noob! I don't know if it was bravery or just stupidity!! :lolol: But I got the job done and that's all I care about. :super:

Hey spur0701! Do you know where I can find a tutorial on fixing trigger slap? I have a SAR-1 and I saw a tutorial before where it just showed a piece that had to be grinded off, but I can't seem to find it again. That SAR-1 makes my hand numb!! :ded:

he got the regular military style sythetic stock. euro even, good job salmon axe!! it wasn't hard was it? everyones soo "gun" shy about diigin' in and getting there hands dirty doin' conversion's and feed ramps - what the hell's the big deal? It was HELLA fun too wasn't it? I can't wait for the next!

here are the stocks pictured -the big guys should get the NATO legnth, i did AFTER buying the regular "euro" -made for pygmees!

just look around the site for JUST the stocks:

http://www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=270&1=271&2=1082

ps. I couldn't agree with you more on the GOOD drill bits!!!!!!!! they don't have to be titanium or anything, they do have to be quality bits. that can go through stainless at least, with oil of course.

I did mine with a hand (electrical) drill and a dremel! easy! good fun too!

Edited by Siagalova

Thanks for the info Siagalova.

The site says that the NATO length is just 1.25" longer which means I want the shorter one anyway, once I fit a recoil pad to it, it would be nato length.

What really sucks is that the only short black stock I saw there is sold out for now, so if you have any other suggestions about who carries them, please let me know.

Edited by DHunter
RE: trigger slap. Do a search on AK-47.net. You should find one. If not, I have it downloaded somewhere.
Thanks, I checked them out, and found the instructions and did the mod.... now I have to check out my SAR1, as well as my saiga 12 next time I go to the range. (hopefully today)

Excellent job, it looks great! Also, it looks like you managed to preserve the finish better than most home conversions, or you refinished it well enough to cover your work.
Yeah, I hit it with some paint on all the bare areas. I hope it holds up, I didn't use any heat resistant paint, but I didn't think that it would matter since that area near the FCG doesn't seem to get hot.

How the heck do you drill out something that spins freely?
Um, A lot of pressure!!! Pushing down hard while drilling was enough to make the pins binds somewhat, though I think I ended up putting more wear on the drills because of it.... No matter what, it's a bitch and I know of no other way to do it easily... A drill press, with the other side of the pins supported would probably make short order of those pins.

Very nice job Salmonaxe.

But I have one question. Where did you get the buttstock? I like the look and would consider using it when I get the guts to convert my Saiga.

I got my stock from kvar like Siagalova said. I actually used to have it on my SAR1, but I pulled it off to see what it would be like on the saiga12(then put my old wooden one back on my sar). After I go shooting with it, I'll see if it's too short for me and maybe get a different one. I'm kinda torn between a fixed stock or an ACE folder.... and I don't have the money right now for an ACE.

Thanks Siagalova! I had fun doing the conversion, it was just time consuming. I know that if I had a GF right now, I wouldn't have been able to get this conversion done in a weeks worth of time. :lolol: I'll see how well my WECSOG gunsmithing worked when I go shooting. If all is well, then I'll be even more willing to dig into some crazy project. A big thing for me, is a lack of tools.... I used to work at a machine shop, and all the tools were readily available for me to do all kinds of cool shit. But back then I wasn't into guns. What a shame.....

• 2 weeks later...