Tapco Saw-Style pistol grip impressions

Just got one of these in the mail as part of a trigger group value pack from Tapco.

Initial impression is not very good, seems very cheap/uncomfortable, and it apparently has a handy "storage compartment" built inside. Which is just an excuse for why it's hollow. It came with some hardware for mounting, but its not a typical grip screw/nut.

Anyone have any experience with these on a gun? Should I not even bother trying to use it?

And, while I'm on the subject of this, has anyone ever floated the idea of a stickied hardware review page? There's alot of garbage out there in the way of stocks, grips, etc. It would be wonderful if there were a good stickied collection of hardware reviews. Not only would it prevent people from buying crap, it would also provide a great place for people to check what is compatible with a saiga out of box and what needs modifications etc....

If this is something that might be in demand, I think the best way to accomplish would be to have the saiga 12 site host it separate from the forum.

Just got one of these in the mail as part of a trigger group value pack from Tapco.

Initial impression is not very good, seems very cheap/uncomfortable, and it apparently has a handy "storage compartment" built inside. Which is just an excuse for why it's hollow. It came with some hardware for mounting, but its not a typical grip screw/nut.

Anyone have any experience with these on a gun? Should I not even bother trying to use it?

And, while I'm on the subject of this, has anyone ever floated the idea of a stickied hardware review page? There's alot of garbage out there in the way of stocks, grips, etc. It would be wonderful if there were a good stickied collection of hardware reviews. Not only would it prevent people from buying crap, it would also provide a great place for people to check what is compatible with a saiga out of box and what needs modifications etc....

If this is something that might be in demand, I think the best way to accomplish would be to have the saiga 12 site host it separate from the forum.

I used one of the saw grips on my first one and it is not to bad. All of the plastic ones are hollow like the grips used on the AR15. Since you have it go ahead and use it and if you find one you like better later on it takes about 5 minutes to change it out. There are several different styles out there depending on what you are looking for. There is even a guy here that makes really nice looking wood furniture to replace all of the black plastic. Get the gun together and then decide which way you want to go with it. I have changed mine a few times. Once you start working on them you will probably enjoy it and find excuses to either change the one you have or to buy more rifles to play with.

Do you guys mount it with the hardware that comes with it? Does it not hurt it to have that tiny little bolt instead of the giant pistol grip screw?

And dyi- What kind of scope did you get for your shotty? I am planning out an s12 build right now and not really sure what kind of optic to use.

Do you guys mount it with the hardware that comes with it? Does it not hurt it to have that tiny little bolt instead of the giant pistol grip screw?

And dyi- What kind of scope did you get for your shotty? I am planning out an s12 build right now and not really sure what kind of optic to use.

Yeah use the hardware that comes with it. The length doesn't compromise strength and the diameter is the same as the stock one. If you look at some other grips like the AMD or FAL they are hollow as well. I would use a bit of medium non hardening locktite if you use this on a shotgun.

The optic mount is the Belarus highmount. I have since gotten a low mount to use the with the red. The red dot was about $70 through Sportsmansguide. I don't know the brand off hand but its something like a BSA I think. http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?product=106

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-POSP-BP-02-Saiga-V...VQQcmdZViewItem

The Russian issued red dots are better but also are much more expensive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kobra-Saiga-Vepr-RoMak...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s_promot_widget

Have fun!

I used one of the saw grips on my first one and it is not to bad. All of the plastic ones are hollow like the grips used on the AR15. Since you have it go ahead and use it and if you find one you like better later on it takes about 5 minutes to change it out. There are several different styles out there depending on what you are looking for. There is even a guy here that makes really nice looking wood furniture to replace all of the black plastic. Get the gun together and then decide which way you want to go with it. I have changed mine a few times. Once you start working on them you will probably enjoy it and find excuses to either change the one you have or to buy more rifles to play with.

I bought my first Saiga last night (one in 7.62 x39) and will be picking up one in each caliber this next week. This first one came with one of these Tapco handguards and a Tapco all plastic butt. I prefer the ACE ones but am not ready ante up the $150 for each for now. I kinda like the standard one that I see on rifles like yours. Where would you recommend I get a USA made one like yours and what price are they going for.

Thx,

TOU

I bought my first Saiga last night (one in 7.62 x39) and will be picking up one in each caliber this next week. This first one came with one of these Tapco handguards and a Tapco all plastic butt. I prefer the ACE ones but am not ready ante up the $150 for each for now. I kinda like the standard one that I see on rifles like yours. Where would you recommend I get a USA made one like yours and what price are they going for.

Thx,

TOU

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...at=0&page=1

Thats where I ordered mine from, seemed like an OK deal. I had some other stuff I was ordering from KVAR though.

Even the 'mil-spec' AKM grips are hollow - the designers just were not smart enough to use the space inside the grip for storage. FYI, and please ignore my advice if you don't like my political persuasion, or my favorite adult beverage (which is on the menu for tonight ;>), or my haircut (which is on the 29-Palms "Combat Barber" end of the length scale ;>) - I have a TAPCO SAW grip on the last FAL I built, and like it a lot. It's absolutely perfect for holding a 30 calibre 'bore snake.' I don't have one on my 5.56 Saiga conversion (yet), because I was focused on a 'low-cost-project' when I built it. But I'm definitely thinking about it...

;>)

And, while I'm on the subject of this, has anyone ever floated the idea of a stickied hardware review page? site host it separate from the forum.

Excellent idea! I already did, regarding .223/5.56-specific Saiga issues, and it did not get any real response. No problemo: there are a lot of folks here that converted 5.56 Saigas way ahead of me, and if they don't think a special .223/5.56 conversion thread is needed, I am 100% absolutely OK with it. I'll just continue to LOVE my own 5.56 Saiga conversion...

(AND I DO! ;>)

Here's the link, FWIW:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14852

When I converted my x39 I originally chose a CAA "Ergo" grip. It was cheaper and I liked the look of the finger grips. After shooting the rifle 1 time, I knew I needed a "fatter" grip. I purchased the Tapco SAW-style grip at a local fun show and I love it. I wouldn't change it, unless I found a slightly larger grip.

No problemo: there are a lot of folks here that converted 5.56 Saigas way ahead of me, and if they don't think a special .223/5.56 conversion thread is needed, I am 100% absolutely OK with it. I'll just continue to LOVE my own 5.56 Saiga conversion...

BadBob, you covered most of the bases there, hard to add to that.

Good Work!

I like um,i have a bunch.I have a couple older Fal type grips that i believe Ace used to sell.They had a slightly textured finish and were much stronger than what Tapco now sells...wish i had a couple more now.

Pic with old style Fal grip:

100_1207.jpg