I broke down and bought an AR.

I've never been really big on ARs but I always said that if I ever got one it would have to be a Colt. I know there may be better ones out there and I'm just paying for the name but, what the hell, it's my money.

I had been eyeing this one for a while at a local gun shop. It's a Cold model LE6920, a semi-auto M4 type. Due to the AWB expiring, it became available without me having to jump through hoops at my department to get the letter to buy it. So Saturday I walk in with $975 and ten minutes later walked out with my first AR-15. Pics below...

post-21-1095723912.jpg

What kind of CVPI do you have? is your dept going to the Wimpalas or the new Crapnum (supposedly the Hemi versions do 0-60 in like 8-9 seconds in real life, and run high 14/low 15s in the 1/4... while some do 13s in the 1/4....)?

$975 is kinda pricey tho...

I know a guy who's with a PD in NC that bought a Bushmaster M4 (thru a letter from his dept I guess) for about $600 and it came with 4 30rd LE mags and a gun case.

Edited by metroplex

KySoldier:

I agree that the .223 is kinda wussy compared to the .308. It's fun to watch bigger bullets blow things up. But what the hell, .223 ammo is cheaper.

emclean:

I have an M9 bayonet but you're right, it doesn't really look right on a 16" barrel. Half the blade is covered by it.

Verson:

Thanks. The guy I bought it from invited me to a machine gun shoot the next day. Along with shooting an Uzi SMG, an MP5, an MP5SD, an M16, a Steyr Aug, and watching this guy shoot a minigun mounted on his Humvee, I shot my new Colt and was pretty impressed, even after shooting all those full autos.

metroplex:

What is a CVPI? I guess you're talking about our cars. We use Ford Police Interceptors exclusively now, because we will not employ a front-wheel drive vehicle such as the Impala or Intrepid. In 2006, however, Dodge will be making a police package Magnum and a police package Charger 4 door, both rear-wheel drives. We will probably adapt those.

Saigalova:

Why give money overseas? What are you talking about? We all own Saigas!

yehp, I like mine too SaltPeter. Mine is one of those Eagle arms m15a2's though. I think everything but some trigger parts are exactly the same. never had a problem with mine, and it shoots flys off the wall.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes what model year CVPIs are you using?

Oh, I get it! CVPI = Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I guess that's why I'm a detective.

We have several model years in use right now. From a 1997 (the one I drive, see my avatar), to a couple of 2005s. The cars get replaced when they reach about 80,000 miles or so. Or if they start having too many problems. Mine is at about 77,750 miles right now so I guess it's next to get replaced.

• 1 year later...

Hello

I've got a pre-order on the Rock River LAR-10 mid-length carbine A4. Obviously, it's a .308, comes with their match grade trigger, collapsable stock, railed forend for under or right at a grand. Talk to anybody that has or has shot a RRA weapon, most will tell you that's the best you can get at any price. Many competition shooters swear by their match triggers and install them in other makers guns.

I checked last night and it appears the delivery date has been bumped to around the holidays.

Before you put your hard-earned and quickly depreciating dollars on the counter, give 'em a look at, if you aren't in too big a rush....

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston