The only place local to me that sells Saigas has the 16"-7.62x39. They are going for $300. plus tax. Does that sound reasonable? I know you can get them for $250ish online, but would rather buy one in store, plus you figure in FFL fees, shipping and taxes, the price won't be much different. From what I've seen, the prices will only continue to rise. So should I just buy one now for $300?

I have a good relationship with my FFL and pay very little. If you buy direct from the dealer (in another state) and have the FFL only receive it for transfer, there should be no tax involved [you are buying it from the dealer, not your FFL]. Even with shipping, I think you could do better online [depending on your FFL fees].

I have a good relationship with my FFL and pay very little. If you buy direct from the dealer (in another state) and have the FFL only receive it for transfer, there should be no tax involved [you are buying it from the dealer, not your FFL]. Even with shipping, I think you could do better online [depending on your FFL fees].

best your going to do online is stanleysproshop.com and they want $254 shipped. plus whatever your ffl transfer fee is. for me it was $20. so it was worth the extra 35 to pick it up locally.

go ahead and plan on buying all your conversion parts too... add in at least $130 for those

go ahead and plan on buying all your conversion parts too... add in at least $130 for those

Yeah, I know I will be converting it sooner or later after I get it. I just wanted to buy one before the price goes up anymore. I saw someone posted an old ad for Saiga, the 7.62x39 was going for like $179!!!

Yeah, I know I will be converting it sooner or later after I get it. I just wanted to buy one before the price goes up anymore. I saw someone posted an old ad for Saiga, the 7.62x39 was going for like $179!!!

yeah, that's when EAA was importing them. EAA stopped importing them at least two years ago. Now it's RAA that's importing them. how much is your tax rate? IMO i'd go ahead and get it.

yeah, that's when EAA was importing them. EAA stopped importing them at least two years ago. Now it's RAA that's importing them. how much is your tax rate? IMO i'd go ahead and get it.

8% in NY state. As soon as I get the funds, I'm off to the gun shop and picking one up. I saw one at a gunshow for $270 NIB a few months back, but I was there for something else and didn't know much about Saigas at that time, now I'm kicking myself. :cryss:

best your going to do online is stanleysproshop.com and they want $254 shipped. plus whatever your ffl transfer fee is. for me it was $20. so it was worth the extra 35 to pick it up locally.

Uhh...I checked out Stanley's but the only Saiga they carry is the 410 shotgun. Maybe they used to carry them but they're out of stock?

R&R Arms (www.rrarms.com) has them for $247 + $19 S/H - so it was $286 out the door from my dealer. It's y our call - and it will depend on what kind of transfer fees your FFL charges - but the extra $40 goes a long way toward completing your conversion.

Jim

R&R Arms (www.rrarms.com) has them for $247 + $19 S/H - so it was $286 out the door from my dealer. It's y our call - and it will depend on what kind of transfer fees your FFL charges - but the extra $40 goes a long way toward completing your conversion.

Jim

Thanks for that link. I just checked out the site, and on the FFL list it has for NY, the closest one is actually the same shop that has them in stock :unsure: . Wouldn't you think he would be pissed if I went to him to transfer a gun for me that he has in stock? I mean, it's money he could be getting for the rifle, but instead he'd only get his transfer fee.

Thanks for that link. I just checked out the site, and on the FFL list it has for NY, the closest one is actually the same shop that has them in stock :unsure: . Wouldn't you think he would be pissed if I went to him to transfer a gun for me that he has in stock? I mean, it's money he could be getting for the rifle, but instead he'd only get his transfer fee.

Well, I guess that's between you and him. You might just tell him that you want to buy one - and you know you can get it $50 cheaper. See what he's willing to do for you. I'm all in favor of supporting local guns shops -- but everyone has a limit....$50 approaches mine.

Jim

Well, I guess that's between you and him. You might just tell him that you want to buy one - and you know you can get it $50 cheaper. See what he's willing to do for you. I'm all in favor of supporting local guns shops -- but everyone has a limit....$50 approaches mine.

Jim

Yeah, I feel the same way, but at the same time, I don't want him to think I'm just plain sh-tting on him. Maybe I will try to find a different list of FFLs. There has to be more near me.........hopefully.+

Thanks again for that link, just looking at that site for 5 minutes and I've found tons of other stuff I want too. Much appreciated.

Edited by 22_Shooter

The days of these being super low cost are gone, even at shows where there is competition, they seem to be moving up in priceing, proabaly due to the weakness of the dollar vs the euro which what I imagine RAA pays for them with. Thus close to three wouldnt shock me at all, delivered, vs. a used one for less than half that a few years ago. FOr transfers, they should be able to find some one to do the transfer for ten to fifteen bucks.

Edited by okie shooter

>>>Thanks for that link. I just checked out the site, and on the FFL list it has for NY, the closest one is actually the same shop that has them in stock . Wouldn't you think he would be pissed if I went to him to transfer a gun for me that he has in stock? I mean, it's money he could be getting for the rifle, but instead he'd only get his transfer fee.<<<

I personally could not ask a local gunshop owner to act as a ffl on a gun he already has in stock to save myself $50. I would rather pay the extra $50 to help support a local business...and if you have any problems with the gun he will be a lot more inclined to work with you if you bought it directly from him. A guy who runs a locally owned, brick-and-mortar shop is never going to be able to compete pricewise with a mega-sized internet dealer, and if we want our local gunshops to survive we need to be willing to support them with our $$. Once they are driven out of business....the mega-dealers will be free to charge what they want anyway, and local service will be a thing of the past. Thats why I also refuse to shop at Walmart, I would rather spend my $$ at the local hardware store that supports local charities, sponsors my kids baseball team, and reinvests its profits back into the community instead of shipping it all back to Bentonville Arkansas. Sorry to sound like a liberal, but thats my take on it, cheaper isnt always better.

I personally could not ask a local gunshop owner to act as a ffl on a gun he already has in stock to save myself $50. I would rather pay the extra $50 to help support a local business...and if you have any problems with the gun he will be a lot more inclined to work with you if you bought it directly from him. A guy who runs a locally owned, brick-and-mortar shop is never going to be able to compete pricewise with a mega-sized internet dealer, and if we want our local gunshops to survive we need to be willing to support them with our $$. Once they are driven out of business....the mega-dealers will be free to charge what they want anyway, and local service will be a thing of the past. Thats why I also refuse to shop at Walmart, I would rather spend my $$ at the local hardware store that supports local charities, sponsors my kids baseball team, and reinvests its profits back into the community instead of shipping it all back to Bentonville Arkansas. Sorry to sound like a liberal, but thats my take on it, cheaper isnt always better.

I understand your point. But the thing about never going to be able to compete with online dealers: It's not like there's $100 or more difference, we're talking $50. Maybe he would be willing to come down to that price if I were to buy from him. I'd say it's better for him to be out $50 than the whole price of the gun if I take my business elsewhere.

Buy the gun. I paid $259 for my .223 (generally priced the same as the 7.62) and considered it a steal. In the end, buying it online will not be the deal that you think it might be. FFL transfer fees and shipping will likely eat up most of your perceived savings. Add to that the price of return shipping in case there is an issue with the rifle. To me the extra $40 of $50 is negligible when you consider the costs associated with the Internet deal and the inability to inspect the gun before purchase and the potential cost of a return which would leave you without a gun.

A bird in the hand is often worth two in the bush.

And, all of that doesn't even get into the value of supporting your local shop. If we want them to be there when we need them we need to gave them our support even when we don't need them. Really big price differentials are one thing, but when the prices are in the same ballpark I will give the shop my business every time.

At most I'd see if they will throw in a box or two of ammo to sweeten the deal, but I wouldn't hold the Internet over their head to get it, and if they couldn't it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Margins on guns are often very slim.