STOLEN S 308

Well I just got my gun back. Perfect shape, just like when I lost it. The City of West Palm Beach got it when they raided a drug dealer's house & my gun was impounded too. I don't have a digital camera but I will borrow one & post pics. It was good to bring it back home. I had to sign a form which was mostly covered with paper so I couldn't read the details of the original 20 lb pot bust. They were very nice at the PD. The lesson to learn here is if you have a gun stolen, call the cops back every year to see if it was recovered, because they won't call you. :rolleyes: GARY N4KVE

Edited by N4KVE
Well I just got my gun back. Perfect shape, just like when I lost it. The City of West Palm Beach got it when they raided a drug dealer's house & my gun was impounded too. I don't have a digital camera but I will borrow one & post pics. It was good to bring it back home. I had to sign a form which was mostly covered with paper so I couldn't read the details of the original 20 lb pot bust They were very nice at the PD. The lesson to learn here is if you have a gun stolen, call the cops back every year to see if it was recovered, because they won't call you. :rolleyes: GARY N4KVE

Getting your stuff back is the best possible out come you can get. 2 years is a bit much on the time table. Least it is out the hands of :smoke: mr pot grower. It is kind of funny. I thought pot smokers are lazy. But that punk did some work to get you gun. Con grats you got it back.

Gary, Im glad you got your rifle back, better late then never, and this reminds me of the time my father left a handgun in the car overnight. Right before Christmas my family decided to travel to New york to visit Family, we got in super late christmas eve and decided not to unload the car. Needless to say we woke up christmas moring and the car was gone, along with all the ski equipment, luggage, gifts, and of course my fathers handgun. Needless to say lesson learned, he always unpacks now whenever ever he gets someplace. The car was recovered three days later, just basically the frame and what not. After about a year my father decided to replace the handgun figuring he would never see the .357 SW again. Funny part is about 4 years later he gets a call one day from Some sherrifs dept in california, the gun had turned up. It turns out the gun had been used in a number of incidents, and that if my Father was willing to fill out the paperwork he would eventually get it back, took about another 6 months or so but the revolver finally ended up back in my fathers hands, the front sight had been bent, looked like someone had dropped it. After it was repaired, it was still one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever shot. (now my father owns two) Point is Gary is right, while it doesnt happen often, sometimes those firearms pop up long long long after they have been stolen, so it costs nothing to make a phone call every once in a while. :)

Again glad you got it back Gary.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got to take the gun to the local indoor range. It shot perfectly, just as I remembered it. 25 yds max at the range but a nice 2" group, all in the head. I took the gun to the local gunshow yesterday to show to the guy who sold it to me, as well as the smith who modified it for me, & they were both amazed I got it back. I even showed it to a local sheriff who couldn't explain why his dep't couldn't notify me since Oct 08 that the gun was recovered. All he could say was "well ya got it now". They did lose the FBMG hi cap mag that was in the gun when it was stolen. That company doesn't seem to be making them any more. I don't like the bolt hold open design that Surefire is now making. Oh well, I'll find something. I still have the mag that came with the gun. :rolleyes: GARY N4KVE

Well I finally got to take the gun to the local indoor range. It shot perfectly, just as I remembered it. 25 yds max at the range but a nice 2" group, all in the head. I took the gun to the local gunshow yesterday to show to the guy who sold it to me, as well as the smith who modified it for me, & they were both amazed I got it back. I even showed it to a local sheriff who couldn't explain why his dep't couldn't notify me since Oct 08 that the gun was recovered. All he could say was "well ya got it now". They did lose the FBMG hi cap mag that was in the gun when it was stolen. That company doesn't seem to be making them any more. I don't like the bolt hold open design that Surefire is now making. Oh well, I'll find something. I still have the mag that came with the gun. :rolleyes: GARY N4KVE

Check out csspec's steel .308 mags, they would make a nice replacement for your FBMGs.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this should be the final chapter to this happy ending. When the gun was stolen it had a FBMG mag in it which worked & fit perfectly. When I recovered the gun, the evidence room employee told me the mag was gone, which I accepted. Well after spending the last month looking for another FBMG mag & coming up empty handed, I called the evidence room back. I explained her the situation about the mags not being stock AK, & 8 rd factory mags vs 20 rd FBMG, & them not making mags for a while, etc, I asked them to check their log in sheet & what happened to my mag. I also again asked them why they didn't notify me after the drug bust when the gun was recovered. I told her the original evidence employee told me they notified the county sheriff's dep't, to whom I reported it stolen. She had a copy of the original NCIC report when the rifle was recovered & came back reported stolen & my name was nowhere on that report as the owner who reported it stolen. So they notified the sheriff, & of course their excuse was that the deputy who took my report 2 years ago had retired. Anyway she traced the mag, & it was destroyed in May with a ton of other "unclaimed items". She told me I was lucky the gun wasn't destroyed. This is because it was kept as evidence against the drug dealer & his case was only recently settled. I want another plastic mag. Are the Surefires any good? I really liked the FBMG's & wouldn't care if it had no US parts. It worked & fit great. I hear good things about CSSPEC, but to be affordable, there are lots of sharp edges. Come on FBMG, make some more. I'd even buy a mag body if it would work with an 8 rd follower, floor plate & spring. The employee of the evidence room felt so bad for me, she even tried to find some mags on the internet, but they were all 8 rounders. Oh well, she tried. GARY N4KVE

Well this should be the final chapter to this happy ending. When the gun was stolen it had a FBMG mag in it which worked & fit perfectly. When I recovered the gun, the evidence room employee told me the mag was gone, which I accepted. Well after spending the last month looking for another FBMG mag & coming up empty handed, I called the evidence room back. I explained her the situation about the mags not being stock AK, & 8 rd factory mags vs 20 rd FBMG, & them not making mags for a while, etc, I asked them to check their log in sheet & what happened to my mag. I also again asked them why they didn't notify me after the drug bust when the gun was recovered. I told her the original evidence employee told me they notified the county sheriff's dep't, to whom I reported it stolen. She had a copy of the original NCIC report when the rifle was recovered & came back reported stolen & my name was nowhere on that report as the owner who reported it stolen. So they notified the sheriff, & of course their excuse was that the deputy who took my report 2 years ago had retired. Anyway she traced the mag, & it was destroyed in May with a ton of other "unclaimed items". She told me I was lucky the gun wasn't destroyed. This is because it was kept as evidence against the drug dealer & his case was only recently settled. ...

No one is "lucky" that law enforcement does their job correctly. There is no legitimate excuse for failing to notify you that your stolen property was recovered. The retirement of the officer that took the original report means nothing, after all that it why we write reports, so as not to have to rely on elderly cops recollections! I would write a letter of complaint.

When the locate was confirmed via NCIC the next step was for the owner to be notified. Someone just made the decision to keep you out of the loop, to keep you from harassing them when your rifle would no longer be needed as evidence, after a while, no one wanted to go to the work of looking up an old case.