anyone else have trouble converting there saiga?

i had some crappy tools but damn, first night took me and my friend 14 hours and we thought we were almost finished, then we kept messing with it and i thought i got it last night but the bolt wouldn't go back after firing it, it was like a single shot, i been filingalittle this mourning and i hope it works, i bet i put 20 hours in this basshole

trouble no. was it a challenge yes. go slow and let cooler head prevail. take breaks. my I did two conversions. 7.62x39 and 223rem. 223rem was more a pita than 7.62x39.

screwed up the magazine catch on my 7.62x39 need to replace it, it works but is not perfect. 223 rem feedramp is a bitch to get right and magazines are pita.

pita-pain in the ass

got most of the work done in 1 day though trigger guard rivets proved stubborn so took me another day on both rifles.

Edited by mrapathy2000

mrapathy, what type of mags were you using on the 223 when you built your feed ramp? I used the galil orlite 35 rounders and after sweating about drilling on my rifle for about two months I worked up the courage and knocked it out in about 25 minutes and it works great! The big surprise is that I actually am retarded.

Edited by Dman

using rpbusa bakelites that were modded to work in sar3 with robarm followers.

feedramp install is easy. though I cut alot of pieces of pipe for feedramps and have alot of samples still. they were not thick enough to force the 223 nose high enough to catch. geometry was wrong totally. its pita to get right. thinking of modding to use AR15 magazines as I am looking to get couple AR15 builts.

my mistakes? well i should of been better prepared, i needed good drill bits and maybe some other tools would of been handy, i spent along time filing the mags down then i just took them to a bench grinder and got them pretty good in a few minutes each( but got over zealous with the second one and it fit alittle loose) i just grinded the lips the didn't grind the mag catch or none of that and it fit just fine. and i was stupid and forgot to order the hardware for the pistol grip, i was kinda thinking i didn't need it since it was a draganov stock, so i just got a long bolt and spaced it with washers and nuts, this took me and my friend both to do it, he held it while i tighened it, i never used a real pistol grip nut and bolt so im not sure if its any easier, and i also drilled a screw on top of the stock where the old saiga stock went, its sturdy i can say that much but i sure don't want to take it off and re do it. my retention spring also broke, so i tried all sorts of things to hold the pins in because i am to stubborn to buy one, but i went to autozone and got a carburator spring( its acutally a set of them for 5.99) it worked and it holds the pins back in but i don't think the spring is quite thick enough and the trigger falls down when i am shooting and i have to push it back up, besides that it fires fine(i went out and test fired it again)(( i was half druck))(((drunk,still am)))((((never work a firearm under the influance of alcohol)))). but tapco makes a ak retaining spring4.99 and a retaining plate for 11.99, the plate is supposed to be less hassle, i didn't mine paying for the price i just didn't like the 5-10 bucks shipping, but im poor and stubborn and had a budget, so im going to have to order something new if i want to shoot my gun, and also my tap broke in my gun when drilling a hole for the feed ramp, so becareful. just try not to be cheap if possible, get the right stuff the first time, be prepared to order new stuff last minute, there will probably be many trips to town, and get good drill bits and putting alittle gun oil on them while drilling will keep them from getting dull faster, this metal is extremly hard, also have a clean workspace, mine was cluttered, well thats about all i can think of i am an extreme amature, if i can do ity half ass anyone can, good luck

my mistakes? well i should of been better prepared, i needed good drill bits and maybe some other tools would of been handy, i spent along time filing the mags down, then i just took them to a bench grinder and got them pretty good in a few minutes each( but got over zealous with the second one and it fit alittle loose) i just grinded the lips the didn't grind the mag catch or none of that and it fit just fine. and i was stupid and forgot to order the hardware for the pistol grip, i was kinda thinking i didn't need it since it was a draganov stock, so i just got a long bolt and spaced it with washers and nuts, this took me and my friend both to do it, he held it while i tighened it, i never used a real pistol grip nut and bolt so im not sure if its any easier, and i also drilled a screw on top of the stock where the old saiga stock went, its sturdy i can say that much but i sure don't want to take it off and re do it. my retention spring also broke, so i tried all sorts of things to hold the pins in because i am to stubborn to buy one, but i went to autozone and got a carburator spring( its acutally a set of them for 5.99) it worked and it holds the pins back in but i don't think the spring is quite thick enough and the trigger falls down when i am shooting and i have to push it back up, besides that it fires fine(i went out and test fired it again)(( i was half druck))(((drunk,still am)))((((never work a firearm under the influance of alcohol)))). but tapco makes a ak retaining spring4.99 and a retaining plate for 11.99, the plate is supposed to be less hassle, i didn't mine paying for the price i just didn't like the 5-10 bucks shipping, but im poor and stubborn and had a budget, so im going to have to order something new if i want to shoot my gun, and also my tap broke in my gun when drilling a hole for the feed ramp, so becareful. just try not to be cheap if possible, get the right stuff the first time, be prepared to order new stuff last minute, there will probably be many trips to town, and get good drill bits and putting alittle gun oil on them while drilling will keep them from getting dull faster, this metal is extremly hard, also have a clean workspace, mine was cluttered, well thats about all i can think of i am an extreme amature, if i can do it half ass anyone can, good luck

2nd Gunman,

More details on your conversion... that is one nice looking toy. Have you taken it to the range yet?

I built it in my home workshop. FCG is a double-hook setup from Global

Trades. Very smooth and light. I haven't shot it since installing the AK74

muzzle brake. I gathered most of the parts off of various gun boards.

Here's the results scoped (Bushnell Elite 3x9x40) at 100 yards:

newtarget.jpg

How about some info on how you mounted the forend.

Drift the pins out of the FSB and gas block, then use this tool (inverted from picture) and a 12-ton press.

There's no way the parts were coming off without a hydraulic press.

There was a high-pitched screeching sound as the parts were

pressed that would put any nails across a chalkboard to shame. :devil:

I cut the necessary groove in the barrel with a 5/32" round file

and used a Russian AK74 handguard retainer to complete the job.

brgsplitter.jpg

Edited by 2ND GUNMAN