Is there a trick to removing the pins

I'm about ready to complete my years-long project of modding my Saiga. I have the modified trigger group parts to replace the original ones, but now I'm having trouble removing the old parts.

In particular, I can't get those two damn pins that hold the FCG parts to come out of the rifle. I've been pounding them with a huge pin punch and as soon as I get the pins to move just enough to clear the inside of the receiver, they move out of the way and I can no longer align them with the punch. I've tried prying them out from the other side, but the head is not big enough to get adequate leverage. I've tried leaving it soaking in WD40, but this hasn't helped.

Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

Unless you remove the retaining spring wire completely, there's a LOT of wiggling to get the pins lined up with the holes, and then they pull right out! I just moved the wire out of the retaining groove, then used a good pair of needle-nose pliers and pulled from the head side.

Bill

Edited by BillTX

Its not entirely clear if these are the standard FCG pins being discussed or the rivets that hold the Saiga specific parts in? the two rearmost pins need to be drilled first, not just punched out if you are doing the whole Pisto, grip conversion. The other, grey colored pins that protrude slightly and are standard on all AKs will more or less just slide out *once you have removed the fcg retaining wire*. this can be accomplished with a fine nosed needle nose plier if you are just replacing the sporter fcg with USA fcg, if you are doing the whole conversion, drill the 2 rearmost pins as per the cross-conn conversion guide and the retaining wire will come out along with them.

These are the parts you should be looking at after you drill and remove the "Saiga specific" trigger and hammer pins (on the left side in the photo)

as well as

the new hammer and trigger pins that you push out (under the BHO lever in the photo)

after

removing the retaining wire (the spring in the photo that is just below the safety and has one very long leg and one short one).

post-5881-1185143831_thumb.jpg

cvasquo3,

I know you don't plan on removing all of these parts, but I thought it might help clarify which pins you are referring to.

So which pins are you referring to, the Saiga specific ones you drill out or the ones you push out after removing the retaining wire?

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

I'm talking about the two pins that normally hold a standard AK hammer and trigger/disconnector. On the Saiga these hold the hammer and the sear. I'm not talking about the two little pins that hold the Saiga specific trigger, since I won't be removing these. I'm not doing the whole pistol grip conversion, so I have US made FCG parts that have been modified to work in the Saiga (basically just cut the trigger off the trigger assembly).

I DID forget about the retaining wire though. Well, actually, I didn't realize it had to be removed to remove the pins. How do I remove it before taking out the pins though?

thanks for your help guys.

They can be removed without removing the two other pins. You just have to get something small in there and push the spring out of the way while pressing the pins out, one at a time.

OK, new problem. I was able to push the spring out of the way, but I had a hard enough time getting th enew pins & parts back in that I seem to have bent the spring out of shape. The rifle fires, but the spring is sticking out and I'm afraid it'll work it's way toward the middle & get in the way of the fcg. Is there another option to this spring? If so, how can I remove it without removing the pin that the trigger pivots on?

They can be removed without removing the two other pins. You just have to get something small in there and push the spring out of the way while pressing the pins out, one at a time.

OK, new problem. I was able to push the spring out of the way, but I had a hard enough time getting th enew pins & parts back in that I seem to have bent the spring out of shape. The rifle fires, but the spring is sticking out and I'm afraid it'll work it's way toward the middle & get in the way of the fcg. Is there another option to this spring? If so, how can I remove it without removing the pin that the trigger pivots on?

Get a retainer plate or use e-clips in the grooves where the wire was. Either way you're going to have to dislodge the pin a little, but it shouldn't be a big deal to put it back in all the way.