What's the Most American Rifle?

What's the Most American Rifle?

I have a SKS, saiga 308-1, Beretta Urika 12ga. I really like foriegn guns but I have a DESIRE for an ALLAMERICAN rifle!

What do yall think is the most red blooded rifle out there? And why?

ps I also have a RUGER 10/22 and I won a browning gold shotgun(I wouldn't have got this gun for that kind of money but my wife likes it.)

I'd have to say the M14 myself. The Garand was designed by an immigrated Canadian, so while close, the M14 was designed all by Americans. The M1 Carbine and M16 were as well, but lack the power of a rifle that I'd want to define American. While less well known, the AR-10 would be a good match for that title as well.

The 1903s are extremely derived from the Mausers, so I don't think they count, and the 1917 Enfield was essentially an English design.

The upcoming G36 is German designed, so the M14 may well be the last real American rifle. That does not mean that it's the best and certainly not the only good rifle. But it's certainly all American. I personally would pick an AR-10 over an M1a for practical reasons and feel as American as anyone for it.

I would have to agree with emclean about the leaver action rifle. I don't know if they are totally made here in the US but I prefer the Marlin. Lately I've been considering the .450 Marlin lever action. I really have no use for it but for some reason I think I need one.

verson: it WAS.....until i traded it :) i have a post explaining what i did with it etc......

still say THAT is an american gun. 1880ish, hand made by a well known and respected artisan in tory, NY. Nelson Lewis. Im almost sorry I sold it before I shot it. mint in amlost every way.

my next choice would be an old lever gun. out in NM NV and AZ, i saw good (buy well-worn) old old lever guns cost 1000 from the shop, 100 private in better shape.

if your gun is 1896, Rip-Cord, go here:

www.jc-device.com

take pics up the yazoo and send them to those guys for a realistic estimate. its worth it with old guns, especially that one. could be a couple thousand (or more if everything is more or less original and there is the story -- ) if you trace it through wars and such....I sought out an appraisal for an 1894 model made in 1953 for someone that was in 99% mint condition if you can beleive that....for 1200... yours should fetch much more if its that old...I seriously suggest you insure it and ask the guys at that website to appraise it with photographs for you, Rip-Cord

Edited by Bvamp

prophageus: Yeah, I think Colt is still made in the US. Of course it was originally with the pistols. I've noticed some funny manufacturers making M16s. I've seen the true colt models, Armalite, my unit even has FN! It seems everyone make them now-a-days.

I would propose that the Thompson, in whatever model is "all american."

The Winchester Model 70 is a great American rifle, as are all the lever actions. My personal favorite for a GREAT American gun would be the Thompson. Imagine, 80 years ago you could buy those things right off the shelf or through a mail order catalog for almost nothing. I'd love to have an original Thompson; just for weekend shooting of course... :super:

the pic above is of a Nelson Lewis made, 1870-1880 (end of this particular artisan's career), Troy, New York, custom presentation target rifle, in a smaller caliber in the 40 caliber range. when i got it, it was almost exactly how you see it. whoever had it before me took REALLY GOOD care of it. part of the engraving on the trigger guard was rubbed clean over the hundred and twenty or so years of hunting it saw. i bought it from a friend who had found it (yes, this is true i swear) YARDSALEING for a hundred bucks or somehting. i gave it up to a hardcore collector, and I am glad its in good hands. it had a pound or so of german silver on it, flaws and all, and every single component/part was engraved to the fullest, and not overdone. I wish i had better quality pictures of it, as that one is like the rest that I have and blurry. it was a work of american folk art i was told when i had it appraised. apparantly, Nelson Lewis was quit a gunsmith. I was told by a local old old time flintlock replicator that the picture was upside down so that the hunter could ADMIRE the artwork on the gun while sitting and waiting for prey without moving or disrupting the powder charge.

thanks guys, great responses

levers are great, H&R singleshot - only one shot but gets the job done and its TUFF(says American to me), fullauto has to be the Thompson, military- M14-308 awesome firepower, bolt gun- Rem 700, S&W + COLT pistols hand in hand, Remington shotguns 870&1100

TOP GUN AWARD--------Which ever firearm defends your life and American Freedoms!!!!!

you know, a lot of the american rifle guys rave about the mini-14. I have not shot one that could hit anything! they seem very reliable, they probably are. I've yet to shoot a good'ol m1 garand - those things sell for a LOT of money. The older guys love'm and are VERY proud of them. whew, 30-06 semi?

I'd love to get some time on a lever, too. they come in really weird rounds!

ive been tossing around the thought of investing in a war M1 with grenade launcher and a sight WITH practice rounds for a couple years now. (yes im gonna shoot it) I did however, came within about ten seconds of buying an m14 recently for 700 bucks, but I havent done enough research on them to know what could have been wrong with it. Another gun Ive seriously considered is a levergun in a pistol chambering or soemthing along those lines. Cant make up my mind, so I'll probably get all of them sooner or later.

Saigalova: I personally dont like the mini14 or mini30. Its a good gun if its clean, and likes the ammo you use in it, from what Im told by numerous gun-heads here, but you need to have it accurised for serious target or varmint shooting. And those odd lever rounds? check out how much empty brass is for some of those old rounds they dont make much of anymore. even .32 winchestor special is fairly common considering they dont chamber guns in it anymore for years now, but if you go try to buy a box of 20 rounds for it, you are paying a buck a round usually. When I manage to buy a levergun, Im purposely getting it in either 38 special or 30/30, just to be able to shoot it without having to skip shooting other guns that week due to busting my ammo budget that week.

I've been thinking about buying an M1 Garand as well but christ the price of one is sure high right now, about $695 to $800 here at the local gun shows. Would still like to get one and if it was one to rebuild I'd be more than fine with that.

When I was in boot camp the M1 is what we drilled with. Heavy s.o.b.'s, especially when you had to double time and high port 'em but they did help build up the upper body strength..lol. Of course they were all deactivated and couldn't be fired. Bores were always pitted and the DI's always gigged us which led to the double time and high porting. What I wouldn't give to have one of them now in light of today's prices.

Most of our early weapons were of French or English design but the M1803 Harpers Ferry rifle was a distinct US design. All our percussion long arms were of French pattern as were the Trapdoor Springfields, additionaly their actions were of English design (Allen was an Englishman). The Krag was Scandinavian. Ya'll have already covered the modern stuff.

As much as I dislike them both I recon the M14 and M16 are the most American service rifles we have had. As for sporting rifles I say it is any of the ever guns, my favourite is the Savage 99.

• 1 month later...

All american rifle?? Lets talk the all american caliber first then will pick the rifle? The 45/70 Goverment , 30-06 Springfield and 45 Automatic Colt Pistol (acp) I would list as all american bullets. Now for the guns it would be a Sharps 45/70, M1 garand 30-06 and for the last one i have two pics a Thompson and a 1911 in 45acp. All four have a great legend following them. UKP

I built the 155mm howitzers we use right now for the US ARMY do they count as all american there 30 mile range and 55 gallon drum accuracy?

Edited by Unknown Poster