Hey all, I need some help from some california saiga owners. I live in the northern bay area and I am looking for any tips on places in my area that sell saigas. I have not yet actively gone from store to store asking if they will order me one but before I do I wanted to see if any of you guys could just make my life easier and point me in the direction of a shop that is already known to sell them. Please help me out guys, I need a 7.62 Saiga!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey all, I need some help from some california saiga owners. I live in the northern bay area and I am looking for any tips on places in my area that sell saigas. I have not yet actively gone from store to store asking if they will order me one but before I do I wanted to see if any of you guys could just make my life easier and point me in the direction of a shop that is already known to sell them. Please help me out guys, I need a 7.62 Saiga!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any help.

Tanker, Guy...Just Order One Online...have it shipped to Your Local FFL (gun shop)....The local gun shop will charge you $20 - $50 ( $50 cal...I bet!) to do this. Then You go pick it up and go thru the background check like we all do. And prob. pay some more sales tax on top!

Cal. sucks on firearms dude. I live in TX and I just walked in and walked out w/ my New 16 " x 39 Saiga at local shop. ($269 + tax (8.25%) Bought ammo, etc. It's Awesome! We can even Hunt w/ 30 + rd. mags. if we want to....But we don't...'cause that's crazy unless you're an Idiot and can't shoot staight!

Good luck, hope you get one soon...you might need it!

By the way...Even in TX We Must Follow Federal Law....So the Saiga CAN'T be used w/ a 30 rd. mag., without compliance with 922r....the Federal law pertaining to 'assualt type' weapons. That means some type of 'conversion' to US made parts. Theye're ok as Imported w/10 rd. mags...but if you change Anything, Better Comply with the Law.

BS012 :haha:

Edited by BullShark012

hey tanker I live in the OC (used to live in Arcata-Eureka) and had the same problem. No one would order it for me and I went to every range and gun shop i knew. with SB23 its sort of a gray rifle and no one wants to touch it. I am actually going to pick mine up today in person :) My solution was the Gun Show - Crossroads of the west . There I found Cold War Shooters (www.coldwarshooters.com) and they have a FFL here in Cali , the only bummer is that that FFL lives in Higland which is at the start of the road to big bear so its kinda of a schlep, but worth it! You may want to check out your local show and find a vendor with the same setup or call coldwarshooters and have them ship to thier higland FFL and make the 5 -8 hour drive. Not an elegant solution but a solution! after all we live in the Peoples Republic of kalifornia. I would do what it took as I suspect they are goign to add it to the OLL (*off list lowers)list ASAP and we will be out of luck. I could be wrong but I wasnt goign to take the chance. Be sure to check Calguns.net

"I'd rather have NoCal than SoCal"

I just wanted to add a couple of things.

1) you will not have to drive that far to find a saiga/oll friendly ffl. There are many oll friendly ffls in the bay area. CWS is a great company and without a doubt have an ffl closer to you. Also, sign up on CalGuns and search for an ffl thats close to you if you do not like their ffl or decide to go with someone else. (in fact here is a thread titled List of Ca. FFL's and their fee schedule)

2) RAA/EAA saiga's will not and cannot be listed. Ca DOJ are no longer able list.

Yes, California has terrible gun laws. But there are a lot of good people still here that are fighting the good fight to help restore our individual rights and there have been a lot of accomplishments. Me... I'm just riding on coattails :angel:

Dusty

Hey man, I am down in the South Bay and am ordering my rifle through Lan World Inc. They specialize in bringing in "off-list" guns into CA and have a list of friendly FFLs in this area. I will let you know how it goes after I order tomorrow. I'm going with the 16" 7.62x39.

• 5 months later...

So I found this site through this topic. I also want to buy a Saiga and am running into FFL's that are just scared, if nothing else, to receive one. It is a gray area on the California list.

I will look at Lanworld.com, coldwarshooters.com and calguns.net.

There is nothing about the construction of the Saiga that should be illegal in Cali.

Any suggestions on where I can go to get one without having to spend Months on the phone listening to people chew me out about how I'm just trying to find someone to get around the law?

So I found this site through this topic. I also want to buy a Saiga and am running into FFL's that are just scared, if nothing else, to receive one. It is a gray area on the California list.

There is nothing about the construction of the Saiga that should be illegal in Cali.

Any suggestions on where I can go to get one without having to spend Months on the phone listening to people chew me out about how I'm just trying to find someone to get around the law?

Go to the crossroads of the west gun show they run every weekend all in different locations year , you can catch it in Cali,Nevada or Arizona, Cold war shooters has a table there and they have a ffl in Highland,Ca. even if you live in nocal its worth the drive. :super:

Edited by girmper

Go to the crossroads of the west gun show they run every weekend all in different locations year , you can catch it in Cali,Nevada or Arizona, Cold war shooters has a table there and they have a ffl in Highland,Ca. even if you live in nocal its worth the drive. :super:

Hey, fellow Californian!

Check out DDsRanch as noted on Calguns.net vendor's forum! They're having a special Calguns sale: $250 SHIPPED for a regular 16' 7.62x39 Saiga, and $290 shipped for one with dimpled receivers. Be careful though, some FFLs in CA are afraid to handle Saigas. I've already gotten a lecture at the range for having a "listed assault weapon".

Hey, fellow Californian!

Check out DDsRanch as noted on Calguns.net vendor's forum! They're having a special Calguns sale: $250 SHIPPED for a regular 16' 7.62x39 Saiga, and $290 shipped for one with dimpled receivers. Be careful though, some FFLs in CA are afraid to handle Saigas. I've already gotten a lecture at the range for having a "listed assault weapon".

My Question to an FFL that does provide one is " Will I end up in Jail if I am caught with one?" The DOJ listing describes a AK Version, which I would assume is the typical "assault" rifle config. It also is specific to say a "Kalishnikov". If you look on the site for the SAIGA's, I would argue this is strictly a hunting rifle in its as sold config. Also, it does not have the bayonet bracket and handle etc that defines a "ASSAULT WEAPON". it is all such a gray area.

The name SAIGA, can also apply to a lot of different rifles. It is like saying COLT. On the same SAIGA site, you will see they have all kinds of bolt action rifles and target rifles that could not possibly be classified as "ASSAULT" rifles. This, however, does not mean that some ranger who comes along, who only remembers the word "SAIGA" as a banned rifle is going to understand . One FFL I talked to was all over the word "SAIGA" and since it was a gray area would not deal with it.

So it is off to Costa Mesa on the 26th to find one. That is only a 1-2 hour drive from here. Central CA.

You got it Costa Mesa is the place! Coldwarshooters usally has a table in the front of the second building on your left once you walkin the gate. Nevertheless they have a gaint banner displayiong their logo you cant miss em. Coldwarshooters will not give you any crap for asking about saigas or any other questions. They are hella cool guys and girls and you can ask them anything. The best part is you will be able to pickup your NIB Saiga 10 days later with no hassles! The last one I got from them was an '07 - 7.62 for 279$ out the door(that included the 25$ FFL Fee) not bad especially here in Kommiefornia!

FYI. If you are not a NRA member join there, they have a booth at the gate. You will get 10$ on entry and you get to skip the line of ppl waiting to get in. If not show up about 1 - 1 1/2 hours after they open to avoid the early bird crowd. Enjoy and good luck!

Hey, fellow Californian!

Oh yeah, who was your FFL? If Costa Mesa doesn't work out then I will need to get ahold of someone else.

I like this site. I tis informative. And the NRA, I am going to join

So it is off to Costa Mesa on the 26th to find one. That is only a 1-2 hour drive from here. Central CA.

You got it Costa Mesa is the place! Coldwarshooters usally has a table in the front of the second building on your left once you walkin the gate. Nevertheless they have a gaint banner displayiong their logo you cant miss em. Coldwarshooters will not give you any crap for asking about saigas or any other questions. They are hella cool guys and girls and you can ask them anything. The best part is you will be able to pickup your NIB Saiga 10 days later with no hassles! The last one I got from them was an '07 - 7.62 for 279$ out the door(that included the 25$ FFL Fee) not bad especially here in Kommiefornia!

FYI. If you are not a NRA member join there, they have a booth at the gate. You will get 10$ on entry and you get to skip the line of ppl waiting to get in. If not show up about 1 - 1 1/2 hours after they open to avoid the early bird crowd. Enjoy and good luck!

Good info.

Hey, fellow Californian!

My Question to an FFL that does provide one is " Will I end up in Jail if I am caught with one?" The DOJ listing describes a AK Version, which I would assume is the typical "assault" rifle config. It also is specific to say a "Kalishnikov". If you look on the site for the SAIGA's, I would argue this is strictly a hunting rifle in its as sold config. Also, it does not have the bayonet bracket and handle etc that defines a "ASSAULT WEAPON". it is all such a gray area.

The name SAIGA, can also apply to a lot of different rifles. It is like saying COLT. On the same SAIGA site, you will see they have all kinds of bolt action rifles and target rifles that could not possibly be classified as "ASSAULT" rifles. This, however, does not mean that some ranger who comes along, who only remembers the word "SAIGA" as a banned rifle is going to understand . One FFL I talked to was all over the word "SAIGA" and since it was a gray area would not deal with it.

RAA saigas are not listed nor will they ever be. The OLL listing is for Kalish-USA Saigas not RAA anyone who tells you different doesnt know what the hell are talking about- and most dont - just ask anyone here. When I was first looking for one I went to turners outdoors and they lectured and embarrassed me so bad I wanted to give up. They all laugherd at me like i was the idoit. But then I found this forum and the rest is history- Thanks everyone!!!

FYI this may be overkill but I carry a copy of my My attorneys business card, my NRA Membership Card, CA SB23 , USC 922R & a parts list detailing my made in the use parts with my rifle just in case I have to explain.

I frequently shoot my saiga at 2 local ranges here , where the majority of members are LEO and active duty Military. Every LEO who has seen my saiga wants to know about it and once I explain about SB23 & 922R the next quesiton is always where can I get one :haha: It seems its only the ppl at local gunstores are the ones with attitudes and full of misinformation,its not thier fault its just their ingorance. As a result I try to educate whenever I get the oppertunity.

BTW SB23 is slated to expire next year, lets hope so we can join the rest of the nation. I would love to get an S-12

Hope that helps, PM me if you have any problems or quesitons

Edited by girmper

>>>BTW SB23 is slated to expire next year, lets hope so we can join the rest of the nation.

Girmper, I couldn't find any info about the SB23 regs ever sunsetting. What was your source for this? Given the current legislature, I don't give this much hope, even if there is a provision. They'll just rubber stamp an extension.

But, what the hell, if it were to sunset, I'll be first in line.

>>>BTW SB23 is slated to expire next year, lets hope so we can join the rest of the nation.

Girmper, I couldn't find any info about the SB23 regs ever sunsetting. What was your source for this? Given the current legislature, I don't give this much hope, even if there is a provision. They'll just rubber stamp an extension.

But, what the hell, if it were to sunset, I'll be first in line.

No, I'll be first in line...... Could you imagine the surge in gun sales?

SB23 is not "slated to expire next year". There is NO sunset. The only way for SB23 to go away is if it were overturned in court.

Just4fun, RAA Saigas are perfectly legal. There are many gunshops here in Ca. that are selling them over the counter. None of them are shut down.

Also, there is no ban on bayonet lugs in SB23. That was part of the Fed. Ban (threaded barrels on rifles are ok as well).

SB23 is not "slated to expire next year". There is NO sunset. The only way for SB23 to go away is if it were overturned in court.

Just4fun, RAA Saigas are perfectly legal. There are many gunshops here in Ca. that are selling them over the counter. None of them are shut down.

Also, there is no ban on bayonet lugs in SB23. That was part of the Fed. Ban (threaded barrels on rifles are ok as well).

Thanks res and my appologies to everyone for the misinformation. I was told this info by many ppl at my club including LEOs. However after rereading sb23 and contacting my attorney, you are right there is no expiration :ded: And since this is liberalville and given our current govenator and his hippocritical anti-gun views (Married a Kennedy what do you expect) this doesnt look like its going away anytime soon. :eek: Again sorry to get your hopes up. Going forward I will refrain from posting any scuttlebut on this forum.

But plenty of owners have had their guns seized unjustifiably. It may not be an illegal firearm, but that won't stop an overzealous DoJ or LEO from confiscating your gun until he "clears it up".

Part of the fun of CA's AWB is how the DoJ contradicts itself all the time. IIRC, RAA Saigas have been declared both legal and illegal on separate occasions.

I know that now. Just ordered mine. Fill out the paper work Sat, then the 10-days. It's like a kid waiting for Christmas day to come..............$249 +20 shipping.

But plenty of owners have had their guns seized unjustifiably. It may not be an illegal firearm, but that won't stop an overzealous DoJ or LEO from confiscating your gun until he "clears it up".

Part of the fun of CA's AWB is how the DoJ contradicts itself all the time. IIRC, RAA Saigas have been declared both legal and illegal on separate occasions.

Turbo, you're right. There is a possibility you might get hassled. But the same thing can happen (and did to me) with a totally legal sks. It can even happen with an M1 Carbine that you can purchase at Big 5. But if you have the ability and resources to explain what and why its legal, you shouldn't have any problems. I work in Corrections, and I am around a lot of leo in Sacramento (unfortunatly none from DOJ). I regularly shoot with leo and haven't had any problems whatsoever with my Saiga.

If you're really worried, you could always carry around paperwork in your range bag that will maybe help convince people that you are legal

a copy of the kasler list showing what rifle are listed as AW's: here

along with memo DOJ memos showing hire ups that they need to list "EAA" rifles to the list: here and here

I only know of a couple of instances where Saigas were confiscated. If you are talking about the case in San Jose those charges were dropped and he got his rifle back. Also there was more to it than just an illegal rifle. It was a bitter divorce with false claims of domestic violence.

The other one I believe is in San Diego which is still pending i think. That one has to do with the rifle being confiscated from an ffl by a someone who was outsourced by the DOJ and may not even be an Agent.

Thats only a couple of instances out of hundreds if not thousands of Saiga transactions in California.

FYI this may be overkill but I carry a copy of my My attorneys business card, my NRA Membership Card, CA SB23 , USC 922R & a parts list detailing my made in the use parts with my rifle just in case I have to explain.

From Girmper (above) I plan to do the same.

By the way, Who is the NRA recommending in the upcoming primary?