Does anyone have this AR-15 barrel ?

IIRC they are Wilson blanks sold by Century at one time. Just be aware they are in the white and not stainless, I almost bought one last year until I found that out.

I have read they shoot very well but are pretty heavy not being turned down much past 1." at all past the gas port.

Edited by Onepoint

I've always thought of the M-16 type as an analog to modern US fighters:

Expensive, capable, set to impossibly tight tolerances, and maintenance heavy. Now that's okay I suppose, but I like the russian weapon ethic: form follows function, simple, inexpensive, yet just as capable.

I just watched an interview between Eugene Stoner and Mikhail Kalashnikov, and their gentle good natured ribbing and thought of the differences of mindset between the russians and the americans.

I have built several AR's and M16's. They are not hard at all to put together. There are specialty tools that make it easier and they are not hard to find. The barrel twists into the upper with a torque wrench and then the head space is checked. The gas block is the installed followed by the gas tube. Choose your hand guards and then you are done.

This barrel shown does not have the barrel nut and if you are not using free floating hand guards, you will need to add the rings for them also. I'm sure I'm forgetting a step or two. I do it so often that I do each step without having to think about it.

My point is do not be afraid to build your own. Just like the Saiga's, there are several web sites that will help you. Build your own and learn your rifle. You will be more independent and not have to rely on a gunsmith to trouble shoot any problem's that may arise in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago I bought an Olympic Arms Plinker, yes it has a cast upper and lower, I have been wanting to put a flat top on it. But the gun has served me extremely well never once jammed, I was thinking that if the cast ever fails which it has not so far, I would buy a new upper and lower and simply switch my oly stuff to the new gun. I might buy a sprink and pin kit but the barrel, stock, pg, fg, I would simply switch over.

Years ago I bought an Olympic Arms Plinker, yes it has a cast upper and lower, I have been wanting to put a flat top on it. But the gun has served me extremely well never once jammed, I was thinking that if the cast ever fails which it has not so far, I would buy a new upper and lower and simply switch my oly stuff to the new gun. I might buy a sprink and pin kit but the barrel, stock, pg, fg, I would simply switch over.

I was checking into getting a Plinker Plus last year, the newer ones with forged uppers and lowers. I was about to go to the closest Oly dealer, and put in the order, but couldn't because they would have been closed when I got there (45 min. drive). Probably a good thing, the money I was going to pay for it with was for bills :rolleyes: . But now I'm getting an AR itch again.

I have been toying with the idea of putting together an AR-15 and came accros this barrel on bunbroker.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80262095

It looks promising but i would like to know how it shoots from someone first hand, anyone have it ?

I have one, I'd absolutely buy another. It's a nice heavy barrel that for me balances well, already threaded for brake or flash suppressor, all the other parts that should fit it do, and it's more accurate than I can shoot. It IS in the white but that can be taken care of. I also got mine quickly and well packaged.