Scope Question

I'm torn between using CDNN's dustcover weaver mount and slapping on a scope, or purchasing a built-in side mounted scope like the ones eastwave offers. I know the side mount is probably more stable, although the dustcover has set screws, but it will sit very high forcing me to get a raised cheekpiece. Not that I have a problem with that. I just want to make a good decision the first time and not throw away money finding out I went the wrong way.

I figure either one will have disassembly/cleaning issues because of the nature of the mounts, so it seems like a wash in that category.

Does anybody have perspective on which method would be preferred over the other and why?

I'm torn between using CDNN's dustcover weaver mount and slapping on a scope, or purchasing a built-in side mounted scope like the ones eastwave offers. I know the side mount is probably more stable, although the dustcover has set screws, but it will sit very high forcing me to get a raised cheekpiece. Not that I have a problem with that. I just want to make a good decision the first time and not throw away money finding out I went the wrong way.

I figure either one will have disassembly/cleaning issues because of the nature of the mounts, so it seems like a wash in that category.

Does anybody have perspective on which method would be preferred over the other and why?

The best way to go is definitly with the side mount. That is why they come with these. Scope on, scope off no change in zero. Top mount is cheaper but unless you never plan on taking off the cover you will lose your zero. They will even get off if it gets a good whack. The platform is just to unstable because it is just a dust cover not an intregral part of the receiver/barrel which infinitly more stable. There are also some rail mounts that extend over the receiver and are "free floating", they will also work well. They are rather expensive, the cheapest i have seen is around $200-300+ bills. I would stay away from anything that does not mount in these ways. Remember, the side mount was made for a Russian conscripted soldat that would use his gun as a crowbar if need be. You know, they make for "baby huey" usage. Duuhh, no one wants to play with me!!!

I am using an 8 power POSP scope with the side rail on my converted Saiga. The last 5 shot group I fired at 100 yards (a couple weeks ago) measured 1-17/32" using 180 grain Federal factory ammo. So, the side mount seems to be working for me. The only disappointment was that the point of impact shifted a click or two horizontally when I tried dismounting and remounting the scope. So, I'm just leaving it mounted.

Edited by Netpackrat

The dust cover mount I bought caused my gun to jam. The front corner of the weaver rail on mine extended out over the ejection port. Brass would eject, hit the rail, and drop back down into the action. I switched to a Kalinka high rise side mount....it is a quick detach model and you can see under it to use the iron sights.

I just scoped mine. I chose not to use the dust cover option, not a lot of good said about them. I used the low rise side mount, so I did not have to lift my head as much. I feel I still need to add a riser of some sort to the stock to get a good cheek weld, but it shot good enough.

Slow firing groups at 50 yards, it was just fine. 100 yards will be next, if the groups get too wide, I will get the cheek piece sooner rather than later.

FWIW...

IF you use a POSP on a standard Saiga stock, it will mount such that you can't get close enough to the scope for decent eye relief...

Unless you shorten the stock 1 to 1 1/2" (a cheek rest is a good idea, as well).

The"conversion" stocks are usually shorter than the factory one.

Edited by lollygagger
FWIW...

IF you use a POSP on a standard Saiga stock, it will mount such that you can't get close enough to the scope for decent eye relief...

Unless you shorten the stock 1 to 1 1/2" (a cheek rest is a good idea, as well).

I'm using the Choate stock with their cheek piece, and it seems to be working fine for me.

FWIW...

Heh. I have the AR 4-position collapsible stock, and I just ordered a cheekpiece from BJB. I also ordered my POSP today. I'm all set. I'm gonna shoot akurit-like from here on out.

The attached target shows the last group I fired with my Saiga, using 180 grain Federal softpoint ammo. The other two groups on the target were PRVI Partisan. I had a couple other groups with the Federal ammo, that would have been in the same size range, except for one flyer in each that was probably my fault.

post-6816-1190770114_thumb.jpg

The attached target shows the last group I fired with my Saiga, using 180 grain Federal softpoint ammo. The other two groups on the target were PRVI Partisan. I had a couple other groups with the Federal ammo, that would have been in the same size range, except for one flyer in each that was probably my fault

Side get my vote. Dust cover mounts will always shoot loose,just like they do on SKS rifles.Total waste of money on a poorly thought out aftermarket accessory.

Consoder that you can also get a "QD" (quick detach) type AK side rail mount with a picatinny/weaver base top on it...

You can mountwhat you want on it, and, adjust for eye relief. There is even a POSP scope that uses weaver type mount bases.

FWIW, it appears that the FM tactical scopes are eclipsing the POSP scopes...very nice "trick" stuff for price.