High -cap rifle/shotty regs in Buffalo NY

Gents:

I have had a SWEET employment offer to make me consider tearing myself out of my super-sweet GUN-COMFORTABLE/GENEROUS home here in good-ole' SUPER-gun-friendly FL.

Does anyone know the laws, or more accurately, can anyone direct me to a gov. site that will answer all my dreaded gun, high cap rifle / shotty / pistol law questions for the Buffalo N.Y. / surounding areas??? I have been to the standard NY gov sites with no real answers about high cap rifle, pistol and shotty (box mag) in the Erie County area.

Thanks so much, guys.

Edited by inparidel

Don't know about the shotty regulations, but as far as hi-caps and rifles: No magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, UNLESS they are pre-ban. Pre-ban AK mags aren't too hard to come by, but try to get some before the move. Most websites won't ship hi-caps to NY, even if they are pre-ban.

Gents:

I have had a SWEET employment offer to make me consider tearing myself out of my super-sweet GUN-COMFORTABLE/GENEROUS home here in good-ole' SUPER-gun-friendly FL.

Does anyone know the laws, or more accurately, can anyone direct me to a gov. site that will answer all my dreaded gun, high cap rifle / shotty / pistol law questions for the Buffalo N.Y. / surounding areas??? I have been to the standard NY gov sites with no real answers about high cap rifle, pistol and shotty (box mag) in the Erie County area.

Thanks so much, guys.

That better be a baddass job man.

You can't legally bring your handguns into NY state. You will need a NY pistol permit (which takes 6 months), then your handguns must be shipped to an 01 FFL. The dealer then "sells" your guns back to you and you bring the receipt/caliber/serial number information to the county sheriff's office. You wait a week or two for a judge to sign off on your handgun purchase coupons. When you get your coupon, you go back to the FFL and exchange it for your handgun.

State rifle and shotgun laws mirror the 94 AWB, sans sunset provision. Pistol-gripped Saigas are illegal unless you permanently convert it to bold-action or permanently limit the magazine capacity to 5 rounds or less.

Pistol-gripped Saiga shotguns are illegal unless you permanently convert it to bold-action or permanently limit the magazine capacity to 5 rounds or less.

Just added the "shotguns" so the OP doesn't think it includes rifles.

Edited by 22_Shooter

A friend of mine is from Buffalo, his opinion of it was taat it was the asshole of the nation. He moved to Virginia about 1980 and never went back. He said that you kept a 12ga behind a steel door, and racked a round before opening the door.

A friend of mine is from Buffalo, his opinion of it was taat it was the asshole of the nation.

+1, I lived there for about thirty years. I'm in Florida right now. Stay in Florida! NYS hates guns. The laws are better upstate in the Buffalo area, but they're still pretty bad. Buffalo is an economic wasteland going downhill fast.

Don't know about the shotty regulations, but as far as hi-caps and rifles: No magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, UNLESS they are pre-ban. Pre-ban AK mags aren't too hard to come by, but try to get some before the move. Most websites won't ship hi-caps to NY, even if they are pre-ban.

[/quote

Thanks for the help, but. . .to WHICH BAN are you referring??? Federal? NY State? What year? Thanks so much.

You can't legally bring your handguns into NY state. You will need a NY pistol permit (which takes 6 months), then your handguns must be shipped to an 01 FFL. The dealer then "sells" your guns back to you and you bring the receipt/caliber/serial number information to the county sheriff's office. You wait a week or two for a judge to sign off on your handgun purchase coupons. When you get your coupon, you go back to the FFL and exchange it for your handgun.

State rifle and shotgun laws mirror the 94 AWB, sans sunset provision. Pistol-gripped Saigas are illegal unless you permanently convert it to bold-action or permanently limit the magazine capacity to 5 rounds or less.

Thanks much guy. But. . .is that NYC? Or NY State?

Do what I did .......... contact NYS ATF and ask them directly. Then, contact the Buffalo police and see what they say. DO NOT rely on your local gun shops - most I talked to were incorrect. Go to the source for correct information. I was surprised to see their interpretation.

I hear 'ya, friend. Thanks so much!!

damn, youre going from the Gunshine state to Buffalo? I grew up in Buffalo, hope you like snow :lol:

I DON'T!!! I grew up in NYC. I "retired" :smoke: to FL in '76. I am just thinking about a VERY sweet gig. . .just THINKING, mind you! I LOVE my new 20, and have since '76.

A friend of mine is from Buffalo, his opinion of it was taat it was the asshole of the nation.

+1, I lived there for about thirty years. I'm in Florida right now. Stay in Florida! NYS hates guns. The laws are better upstate in the Buffalo area, but they're still pretty bad. Buffalo is an economic wasteland going downhill fast.

THat's the deal. IF I take the deal, I will be in the Upstate area. I am a lawyer ad a buddy is in a skyrocketing estate planning firm of his own creation. He WANTS me badly. . .but, I am VERY hesitant. I love it here in GUN FRIENDLY FL!! I carry here. . .I am on the BOD of onew of the largest and most significant IDPA clubs in the entire SE. MUch to think about. . .but $$$ is a powerful drug.

Thanks for the help, but. . .to WHICH BAN are you referring??? Federal? NY State? What year? Thanks so much.

That is the NYS ban that I mentioned. Like some else said, the NYS ban is pretty much the same as the old "Federal Assault Weapons Ban".