There was nothing wrong with the bullet guide Dinzagg made. The installation (by a machinist in my town) was the problem.

My bullet guide screw keeps coming lose.

I had the hole drilled and tapped to use the bullet guide.

1.) I used BLUE LOCTITE. and the screw keeps coming loose. Has anyone tried RED LOCTITE ?

2.) Do you have a problem with the bullet guide getting loose ?

If you are interested, here below is the history behind my questions.

I bought one of the bullet guide kits from Dinzagg and since I do not have a drill press I went to a machine shop to get the trunnion drilled and tapped.

I watched the gentleman do the work (he looked to be close to retirement age). I explained to him what I needed and he put a good solid divot where to drill. He put the receiver in place on the drill press and carefully drilled a hole.

I mentioned that Dinzagg said he just puts the tap in the drill press and does the tapping just moving the drill manually. The reason being the tap hole will be directly in line with the drill hole.

Well, the machinist said he had always used a hand tool to tap and that's the way he did it (and he got it a little crooked when he tapped it).

Dinzagg made me a new bullet guide to fit the tapped hole, but I cannot keep the screw from loosening after shooting a couple hundred rounds.

There are only a few threads in the trunnion, and that's not much for the LocTite to hold onto the screw.

That is why I am considering RED LocTite.

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

Hello, my name is nalioth and I'm a failure when it comes to precision work.

I, too, made a big booboo when I attempted to drill and tap my screw for my bullet guide. Being the old school guy I am (function over 'pretty'), I put a rivet in it.

saiga556_658.JPG

No loctite needed. Rifle runs like a champ.

Edited by nalioth

I, too, made a big booboo when I attempted to drill and tap my screw for my bullet guide. Being the old school guy I am (function over 'pretty'), I put a rivet in it.

saiga556_658.JPG

nalioth,

Looks like it is there to stay. What did you use to flatten the rivet?

louielouie

Can you try a longer screw that goes right through, I don't mean drilling right through the sheet metal receiver.

Try to stick a nut and lock washer on the screw from the underside, if you look under where the guide goes, there is a little open space, put the nut and lock washer on the part of the screw that pokes through, it may be a pain to do it but it probable wouldn't go anywhere.

??

nalioth,

Looks like it is there to stay. What did you use to flatten the rivet?

louielouie

1st, I overdrilled the hole so the rivet would fit through it.

I used a trigger guard rivet (the shortest one you get in a rivet build pack).

I stuck some bar stock in the receiver from the front that had a dimple milled out of it as a 'bucking bar' and then I pounded the crap out of it with a BFH and a flat headed punch from the top.

You'll need something under the trunnion so the rivet flares out under it. OTW, it'll just fall out.

Edited by nalioth

'MD_Willington' ,

I could try a nut on the screw, but the space is really tight for getting a nut started.

Do you possibly know the nut size I would need?

How would you hold the nut in place to start the screw through it, or do you tighten the nut onto the protruding screw?

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

There was nothing wrong with the bullet guide Dinzagg made and I used. The installation (by a machinist in my town) was the problem.

I know Dinzagg, and he has gone way out of his way to help me out with my problem (caused by the installation).

I would buy his products over anyone else's.

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

L2 if you do what MD described, I'd find a machine screw of proper length and then find a nut and lock washer or a nylock nut. Once the hole is drilled, slide the nut in the reciever under the trunnion on the open end of a wrench that fits it, and tighten from the bullet guide side.

Sorry I didn't get back into this thread, we're expecting our next child and he's being stubborn.. my wife is bearing the brunt of it!

MD and Jimmy,

I may have to do what you are suggesting and that is put a smaller screw through and put a nut under the trunnion for the screw.

I don't know of anyone else who has had this problem, but before I take anything to a machinist it will be something that I absolutely cannot do.

louielouie

saiga556_658.JPG

I had the same problem with lack of skill. I broke my tap and tried to drill it out. THAT DON'T WORK! I ended up with a hole larger than I wanted and it was not quite round anymore. I finally beat a rivet into place and it has worked fine over the last two years. I wish I would have known about the tap in the drill press trick.

I had a similar problem with a Smith & Wesson 59 ambidextrous safety where the screw kept coming loose even with Loctite so I used epoxy to keep it in place and it hasn't come out 28 years later.

I also used super glue to hold my threaded adapter in place before I had the barrel threaded. It kept the adapter in place and prevented the screws from coming loose.

I had a similar problem with a Smith & Wesson 59 ambidextrous safety where the screw kept coming loose even with Loctite so I used epoxy to keep it in place and it hasn't come out 28 years later.

I also used super glue to hold my threaded adapter in place before I had the barrel threaded. It kept the adapter in place and prevented the screws from coming loose.

uzitiger,

It takes a lot of confidence to put epoxy on. I am still trying to decide if I should use Red Loctite. I think you helped me with that decision.

Thank you for the idea,

louielouie

p.s. I think the failsafe would be Red Loctite on the screw and Epoxy on the bottom of the guide.

• 1 month later...