MD Arms products question

I asked Mike but he seems busy. Is his current 20 round drum going to work with his magwell when it comes out? Will my other mags work with it as well?

From what he said in post #12 in this thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=19436

He will be making two different versions. The first one will be for stick mags and then down the road he will be making a magwell that will work with stick and drum mags.

I also heard that leaving shotgun shells in any type of mag will damage them to the point that they will jam the shotgun. Is this true? (even with the drum?) What about steel base other then brass?

Just want to know since I plan on using mine for home deffense.

The only problem you'll have if you leave them in the mag for extended periods of time is if you leave the mag in the weapon on closed bolt. The pressure of the shell constantly pressing against the bolt causes top round shell deformation, and thus often causes a failure to feed. It is said that using a slug as the top round will help alleviate that problem, and that using an all-steel-cased shell will eliminate it. Personally, I don't have any steel hulls lying around, and I don't want a slug as the first round for HD. I want buckshot, because it gives me better coverage, since a HD situation is goingto be high-stress, andthis way I won't have to worry as much about getting a good sight picture on my first shot. If I have to shoot to stop a threat, I want him going down, and going down now.

So, I personally keep the bolt locked back, full 5-round mag locked in. Besides, the sound of releasing the bolt has the same effect as racking the slide on a pump-action, thus it could be used a psychological scare factor.

But that might be the 5 AM talking. :)

On the topic of leaving ammo in the mag and leaving the mag in the gun for HD-readiness...

Se this topic for an explanation of how I did it with cheap ammo (not brass or slug).

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20352

I'm not saying this is THE way of doing it, just my way. This mod allows the bolt to rest in a forward position, on an unloaded gun, until it is time for Rock'n roll.

The concept resembles that of a hand grenade...

I also heard that leaving shotgun shells in any type of mag will damage them to the point that they will jam the shotgun. Is this true? (even with the drum?) What about steel base other then brass?

The only problem you'll have if you leave them in the mag for extended periods of time is if you leave the mag in the weapon on closed bolt. The pressure of the shell constantly pressing against the bolt causes top round shell deformation, and thus often causes a failure to feed. It is said that using a slug as the top round will help alleviate that problem, and that using an all-steel-cased shell will eliminate it. Personally, I don't have any steel hulls lying around, and I don't want a slug as the first round for HD. I want buckshot, because it gives me better coverage, since a HD situation is goingto be high-stress, andthis way I won't have to worry as much about getting a good sight picture on my first shot. If I have to shoot to stop a threat, I want him going down, and going down now.

So, I personally keep the bolt locked back, full 5-round mag locked in. Besides, the sound of releasing the bolt has the same effect as racking the slide on a pump-action, thus it could be used a psychological scare factor.

• 2 weeks later...
I asked Mike but he seems busy.

Is his current 20 round drum going to work with his magwell when it comes out? Will my other mags work with it as well?

Sorry for the delay Joeddox, I have a design that works with my drums and all the sticks. It doesn't work with the WM though. Not by my choice, just their design.

On the topic of leaving ammo in the mag and leaving the mag in the gun for HD-readiness...

Se this topic for an explanation of how I did it with cheap ammo (not brass or slug).

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20352

I'm not saying this is THE way of doing it, just my way. This mod allows the bolt to rest in a forward position, on an unloaded gun, until it is time for Rock'n roll.

The concept resembles that of a hand grenade...

Good idea. You seem like you have quite a few of them and some pretty neat devices. I would love to hear more about the 3-way beltfeed thing.

• 9 months later...

Ok so after reading this, i got i should hold out for the drum magwell to work with my MD20's but what about the chaos10? Think i can modify his mag to fit? I am asking because i got 2 MD20's on the way and a chaos10 in the works. I know i can modify my 5rd factory mags and AGP's. Just wondering if a magwell is worth looking into.

I asked Mike but he seems busy.

Is his current 20 round drum going to work with his magwell when it comes out? Will my other mags work with it as well?

Sorry for the delay Joeddox, I have a design that works with my drums and all the sticks. It doesn't work with the WM though. Not by my choice, just their design.

My. God.

I am sorry, i should have just said other working drums. I am mostly concerned about the Chaos 10 or other drums soon to be on the market, that WORK with or with out a mag well and no revamping of my gun. LOL. Can anyone who has looked at the cad schematics and even has a clue if it may line up with MD's drum or if it at least can be modified to fit his mag well let me know? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by kisatu