BHO option on Saiga 7.62x39 gun

(1) Do you guys install the BHO lever on your Saiga conversions? If so, does it ever get in the way when firing or cause a malfunction?

(2) Anyone know if the professional builders like Tromix and Red Stick Firearms install or remove the BHO lever in their Saiga conversions?

I installed the BHO on my conversion. A stock BHO will hang down too far and hit your finger when you're firing. In order to keep it from interfering, you need to trim the lever back a little bit. Bascially, "dry fit" it, then push it up to the active position. Use a Sharpie and mark it about 1/8 below the receiver. Then remove it and use a Dremel to cut it to the right length. (Make sure you smooth it up!) It just has to barely extend out of the receiver when activated.

If you're going to install it, make sure you follow Dinzag's tips!

Jim

well if you think the tab is interfering then it is just a rightie problem. I am leftie and my thumb is on that side. You must have really HUGE hands for it to make contact with your trigger finger.

As far as the bolt hold open spring I have recently found this easier. Rock the bolt hold lever well out of the way. When you push the trigger pin through it is easy just to put it through the spring loop too. Put the lever back in place and use some needle nose pliers to grab the end of the spring and hook it over the lever. Lot easier than pulling on a string with one hand while trying to get the retaining pin in at the same time.

• 1 month later...
Hi

I am new to rifles but have heard BHO mentioned. Is there an FAQ somewhere that describes why this is desireable?

thank you

A couple reasons I can think of: At a range, if it is policy to show a clear action when the range goes cold to check/change targets, you can use the BHO to lock the bolt open. Or if you use a boresnake for a quick douching before you leave the range or shooting session, it's a hell of a lot easier to use the BHO, as opposed to trying to hold the bolt open manually and trying to run the snake down the barrel.

Hi

I am new to rifles but have heard BHO mentioned. Is there an FAQ somewhere that describes why this is desireable?

thank you

A couple reasons I can think of: At a range, if it is policy to show a clear action when the range goes cold to check/change targets, you can use the BHO to lock the bolt open. Or if you use a boresnake for a quick douching before you leave the range or shooting session, it's a hell of a lot easier to use the BHO, as opposed to trying to hold the bolt open manually and trying to run the snake down the barrel.

Why not just strip the rifle and run the boresnake? At the same time you can also quickly wipe down the piston. Not like stripping a AK system is that hard, sheesh. I do agree about the BHO for showing clear but you can always insert a chamber flag to do this too. It is a nice feature though.