So I just picked up my new safe today, and need some advice on interior lighting. The light from the room does a shitty job of lighting up the inside of the safe. I figured I would get 1 or 2 of those push-button circle lights (ya know, like they sell for pantries or closets without lights), but I don't know if they would put out enough light or not. So what have some of you guys done to light up your safe interior?

Those 'push-button circle lights' should work fine. You ain't gonna be building a gun in the safe, right?

:D Yeah, I know, I guess I can try those out, they're pretty cheap.

I just use my Mag-Light :P

That's exactly what I was doing when I was putting everything in there. :lol:

I saw on some forum awhile back, a guy had some of that rope light in his safe. Looked like it lit it up pretty good, but had a weird look to it with all that rope weaved in there :rolleyes: .

Those 'push-button circle lights' should work fine. You ain't gonna be building a gun in the safe, right?

:D Yeah, I know, I guess I can try those out, they're pretty cheap.

I just use my Mag-Light :P

That's exactly what I was doing when I was putting everything in there. :lol:

I saw on some forum awhile back, a guy had some of that rope light in his safe. Looked like it lit it up pretty good, but had a weird look to it with all that rope weaved in there :rolleyes: .

Christmas lights FTW! :lolol::haha: No, seriously, if I had a gun safe, I would most likely use Christmas lights. On another vein, how would one get electricity in there? Just drill a hole? Cause I thought safes were made to withstand that type of stuff..

Curious,

Acer

My safe is designed to be fire proof to a certain level of heat, but it also has a hole in the bottom with a bolt in it. this is intended to be a spot to bolt it to the concrete floor. Well.....i didn't do that, in fact my safe is on a small wheeled platform so i can move it around the basement as needed....(my father in law is a damn find welder and put this thing together for me. So anyway....i took that bolt out of the bottom, snipped a heavy gauge orange extension cord in half, threaded it through the hole, respliced the wires together, taped it all up nice and sound, sealed around the cord so the hole is plugged on the bottom. Now i have a power supply in the safe.....this has my dehumidifier rod plugged into and and two small flourescent lights (like the under the cabinet variety - $15 each at menards or home depot). One is up top for my pistols, and the other is under the top shelf illuminating the rifles and shotties....

they are held in place by a couple screws i put into the interior, cords are secured with velcro in the corners out of the way

works great.......

i use the little battery circular lights in my #2 safe, and ammo cabinet. lighting there is so-so, but i keep a cheep LED light in each of those to find my way around.

On another vein, how would one get electricity in there? Just drill a hole? Cause I thought safes were made to withstand that type of stuff
A lot of safes have a hole in them for electricity to run the dehumidifier (or are just cheap like mine and have holes to bolt them together, to the floor, etc)
Christmas lights FTW! :lolol::haha: No, seriously, if I had a gun safe, I would most likely use Christmas lights. On another vein, how would one get electricity in there? Just drill a hole? Cause I thought safes were made to withstand that type of stuff..

Curious,

Acer

:D It wasn't the regular lights with little bulbs spaced every few inches, it was that rope light that just looks like heavy gauge speaker wire, with some kind of lighting inside of it. As far as getting electricity in the safe, mine has the hole in it (like Nalioth stated below), but again, I don't think I'd like that kind of clutter :unsure: . I'm off from work today, I think I'm gonna go pick up some of those battery operated tap lights and see how they work.

On another vein, how would one get electricity in there? Just drill a hole? Cause I thought safes were made to withstand that type of stuff
A lot of safes have a hole in them for electricity to run the dehumidifier (or are just cheap like mine and have holes to bolt them together, to the floor, etc)

I tried the 'tap' lights and they worked and all, but I found something better. At walmart, they have a little florescent light that's about six inches long. It takes AA batteries and it pretty bright for it's size. I bought the super-sticky industrial strength velcro to attach it in the safe so I can remove it when new batteries are needed. Depending on your safe size, you could buy more than one. Just don't forget to shut it off when you shut your safe!

I tried the 'tap' lights and they worked and all, but I found something better. At walmart, they have a little florescent light that's about six inches long. It takes AA batteries and it pretty bright for it's size. I bought the super-sticky industrial strength velcro to attach it in the safe so I can remove it when new batteries are needed. Depending on your safe size, you could buy more than one. Just don't forget to shut it off when you shut your safe!

I just got back from Home Depot, but they didn't have the tap lights I was looking for. All they had were smaller ones, with 3 LED's in them. So I picked up 2 anyway. But I like the idea of the little florescent tube, I saw one at Home Depot, checked it out, but it was corded. I will have to keep an eye out for the battery powered ones.

Edited to add pics.

It's a crappy pic, but anyways, there's a decent amount of light in there. I think I'll get one for the top shelf too, pretty much much no light makes it's way up there. (And yes, I know my gun collection, or lack thereof, is weak. But ya gotta start somewhere, right? :D )

Edited by 22_Shooter

Who needs lights? You ought to have the interior of the safe memorized so that you don't need a light to grab your weapon. :smoke:

Just kidding. I have a surefire on the top shelf and I use that if I need light. CR123's last a lot longer than alkaline as far as storage and intermittent use goes.

I'll have to post a pic of what i have going on in mine....

those LED lights you got there, those battery or wired?.....they seem much brighter than any battery powered LED tap light things i have seen.

They're battery powered (3 AAA). Each light has 3 LED's, so it gets the job done. That pic doesn't do it justice, they look brighter than that in person. Here's a link to show exactly what they are Sylvania Stick-N-Click . I got 'em for about $8 each. A little more than the average tap light, but ah well.

You'll need just one more thing... more rifles!

Oh... wait... that's more than one thing I guess.

I know, I'm working on it B) .

They're battery powered (3 AAA). Each light has 3 LED's, so it gets the job done. That pic doesn't do it justice, they look brighter than that in person. Here's a link to show exactly what they are Sylvania Stick-N-Click . I got 'em for about $8 each. A little more than the average tap light, but ah well.
Those are pretty cool. Do they have stickum on the back or magnets?
Those are pretty cool. Do they have stickum on the back or magnets?

They have some of that 3M adhesive on the back. But from what I can see, in order to change the batteries, you have to rip it off of whatever you have it attached to. The screws to get inside and change the batteries are on the back. They shoulda made it come apart like a smoke detector. But some double sided adhesive should do the trick for after you rip it off to change the batteries.

They have some of that 3M adhesive on the back. But from what I can see, in order to change the batteries, you have to rip it off of whatever you have it attached to. The screws to get inside and change the batteries are on the back. They shoulda made it come apart like a smoke detector. But some double sided adhesive should do the trick for after you rip it off to change the batteries.

..... or stick it to some velcro or a magnet in the first place :D

Edited by nalioth

..... or stick it to some velcro or a magnet in the first place :D

Good idea. Sometimes, common sense escapes me :ph34r: . :lolol: