Very Good Deal on Conversion

I am not affiliated in any manner with FireflyArms. I just think this is a very good deal.

Saiga conversion. Cost would be $125 (not including return shipping or buttstock).

Conversion would include:

US made fire control group

US made pistol grip (If you supply your own PG, knock $15 off the price.)

Relocate existing triggerguard

Cut hole for grip screw bushing

Touch-up finish

He will also cut and recrown the barrel for an additional $25.

You can buy the Saiga from, say CDNN for $229 and have it shipped directly to FireflyArms. They will convert it and send it to your FFL.

Saiga $230

shipping to Firefly arms 15

conversion 125

shorten and recrown barrel 25

shipping to your FFL 15

Your FFL transfer fee 20

Total Cost $430 and you add your own stock

ntsaiga1.jpg

ntsaiga2.jpg

I saw his site plugged in another thread. I wish we had someone local in WA who could cut and recrown barrels for $25. By the time I shipped my gun across the country and back, it'll be way too much to justify cutting off an inch of barrel unfortunately (for me anyhow).

Its a very darn good deal though for the conversion however, best I've seen so far. It's even better if you live locally and didn't need to ship it around :super:

Man, just convert it yourself and put that money towards a nice ACE skeleton stock. It's really not hard to convert and that company didn't even weld/cover up the rear trigger holes. I would have spent that money elsewhere. I was able to convert my Saiga 12 on my kitchen table in my apartment. All you need is a dremel tool and a drill.

I completely agree with Hartzpad. Do it yourself !

You will become much more intimate with your Saiga and will learn a little too :)

I really enjoyed the experience.

But for those that seem overwhelmed or dont want to learn, looks like Firefly has the best deal.

Like Hartzpad said it looks like they did not fill-in the original rivet holes. Not that it is a big deal but if they are going to offer such a good price you have to accept small things like this.

LB

Not a bad deal, but I have a better one.

Free. that's right, FREE. I did mine, then did 4 of my friends for FREE. Man am I a nice guy.

I only wish I did some others first before mine so I could have used a few of the tricks I have learned along the way.

Example: I have a type of bailing wire that is really strong, but thin enough to fit in the hammer and trigger pin grooves. I wrap it around the hammer pin, and then twist it behind the trigger pin with a pair of needle nose. works perfect inplace of the shepperds hook or rsa plate that you have to grind the crap out of to make work.

I currently have a very rigged up bulgy hook on my own, but it will probably change to the wire wrap when I change my trigger out to a G2 from the FSE that came from my sar1.

IJ.

I sent mine to FireFly arms, in fact, mine is the one in the photos!

Why didn't I do it myself? I don't have the tools, space, or time.

BTW, here are quotes from the gunsmith about what he did:

> First step was to remove the triggerguard and fcg. Then I compared the Saiga

> fcg to a standard AK set. The hammer and trigger needed modified but nothing

> major, basically just clearance issues with the larger bolt and carrier.

> The spring wire that retains the hammer and trigger pins couldn't be used

> again due to how it was attached to the original fcg. With the removal of

> the two original fcg pins, the spring had no attachment point. The solution

> for that was to use e-clips on the hammer and trigger pins (a better method

> anyway).

> I marked off the grip screw bushing hole by measuring against a spare AK

> receiver. No problem cutting it out and fitting the bushing.

> The original triggerguard/plate was cut and the safety stop re-attached.

> Then the original triggerguard was just lightly reshaped and re-attached. I

> used screws for attachment (with the heads dressed down to look like

> rivets).

> Finish touch up (it was unfinished under the trigger plate) was done by

> sandblasting the bare areas and then applying high-temp paint.

Yeah, I think it's a pretty good deal too! The price is just a reflection of time and parts.

I haven't seen a need to open the gas port. Going to 18", there is still a lot of barrel ahead of the gas port, hence plenty of pressure and dwell time. Going short for a SBS i could see but I'm not licensed for those.

Regarding the poster above, I can't say I've received any emails to which I haven't responded. I think AOL blocks my emails sometimes, so if you're on AOL let me know. My phone number is also listed on my website: FireflyArms.com.

I'm definitely bit by the Saiga bug and just got 2 more for myself in this week.

Since getting product from Russia seems to be like pulling teeth, I'm trying to put together a combo front sight/muzzle brake that I hope to get into production. No clamps (gosh they're ugly), it'll use be designed to be silver soldered (or welded or even set screws). Planning to have it use AR-15 front sight inserts. Hoping for a retail price of less than $40. A ghost ring type rear to fit the standard dovetail will come second.

Sam B.

info@fireflyarms.com

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with USPS for shipping. You can ship a Saiga via insured Priority Mail to just about anywhere in the US for under $20 (as long as you don't pack it in a wooden crate or steel box).

UPS offers better tracking and is usually cheaper but they tend to give more customer service trouble when shipping a firearm. Very few of the folks that work the counter are familiar with their own shipping regulations. For instance, they'll tell everyone that ALL firearms must be shipped overnight (which is where I think the poster above is getting his price). In fact, only handguns must be shipped overnight via UPS. Sometimes they'll say they can't ship at all! If you try UPS and it becomes an issue, ask for a supervisor and make them pull their regs (or go to the post office instead).

Sam B.

info@fireflyarms.com