has this happend to you

My son was using his s-223 in a 3 gun match today, and the gun just quit feeding shells the bolt would lock back and the round would still be retained by the mag feed lips, what caused this was the spring fell off the manual bolt hold back. This caused it to activate due to recoil almost every round.

I can put the spring back on or take the darn thing out it is up to him.

My son was using his s-223 in a 3 gun match today, and the gun just quit feeding shells the bolt would lock back and the round would still be retained by the mag feed lips, what caused this was the spring fell off the manual bolt hold back. This caused it to activate due to recoil almost every round.

I can put the spring back on or take the darn thing out it is up to him.

When I converted my Saiga rifle, I looked at the manual bolt hold open lever/spring and thought...... what if this thing manfunctions! I did not install mine. I made a notch in the safety lever to hold the bolt open when needed. I don't think a notched safety lever will malfunction.

• 2 weeks later...

this is kinda scary.

what if this happens when you really need it? you're expecting it to cycle the next round and all of a sudden the trigger does nothing. only time i use the BHO is at a certain range with certain rules.

i think i would remove mine if it wasn't a legal issue. wouldnt that be concidered a modification and have to meet certain requirements? i guess i'm not too clear on what i can and can't do.

if the BHO's gonna give me trouble down the road then i'd like to send it on it's way

Most of the ranges I shoot, the safety officer knows that AKs doesn't have BHO. He tells people with AKs stick a white rags between the bolt and the chamber to indicate that is cleared. Personally, I don't like the BHO on the Saiga because is kinda in the way when I pull the trigger. If you're a lefty it wouldn't be a problem. Plus, without the BHO, is much easier to clean all the areas in the receiver.

Edited by devildog1122

I haven't heard of too many people having their BHO activate by accident. Topmaul did you convert Eric's .223 to PG? Are you sure you put the BHO spring back in correctly? It has to go in a certain way to stay put and work correctly. With the aftermarket BHOs that Jeric sells, the spring is heavier and is bent to hook over the top of the lever, not just ride on the little bent portion like the factory one. I believe Jeric will sell you just a spring if you ask him about it. I'm not positive, but I think his springs will work with the factory BHO as well. They are almost exactly like his.

Just to put any doubts to rest...on my soon to be released automatic LRBHO for the S-12, the spring WILL NOT accidentally come loose. It has a crook on the end that passes thru the BHO lever and hooks out the other side. This also makes installation of it much easier than the factory one where the spring is loose to pop off and is such a PITA to get lined up right.

I do plan to make auto BHOs for the rifles as well as the other shotguns BTW. I want to get the S-12 ones done first.

I think this will be a good option for people who shoot at public ranges that do require you to display an open chamber. Aside from one other LRBHOs I've see for AK rifles, the only way to have it is using LRBHO mags that have a bolt catch built onto the follower. They work fine but the bolt slams home when you remove the mag. Mine will stay put until you either pull back on the charging handle, or release it using Mike's new release lever.

Edited by Cobra 76 two