AR or HK rear sight on the dust cover?

Been thinking of doing a rear sight on the dust cover of my 308 i.e. Valmet or galil style. I know a few have done it here and Tromix and a few others sell the sights. For a do it yourselfer such as myself, I prefer the A1 or A2 style rear sight. Anybody got any tricks for the rear sight base to fit the curve?

Tried doing a search, kept coming up with an error message.

post-1784-1195946086_thumb.jpg

i really dont trust the dust cover to be stable enough to use it as a sight base look down the page of this. i like this 1 better http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml its near the bottom. not sure how good this 1 will be but if it holds it would work if its made right.

Edited by Cryptkeeper

My dust cover is extremely tight. I assumed if notable companies and other AK producers used it, it shouldn't be too bad. I hate the AK dove tale sights. I'm using my Cobra red dot now but would like having some good iron sights for back up.

I agree, the dust cover is just that not a sight base.

As an engineer, I tend to agree. Kalashnikov designed the sight mount a certain way; stick with it for best results.

For a shotgun the rear cover is OK in my book, though. Of course, lots of guys use the rear cover sights and are happy, so it depends on your expectations.

I have no problem with a rear on the dust cover. My Galil has been doing just fine for almost 20 years and will keep up with any AR on the range. The Vulcan top cover I added to my S-308 is far better than the factory sight and no problems with RTZ. You get a longer sight radius and all adjustment are done on the front sight. Just my .02 worth...

The sights on a galil cover are wayyy too tall to use with the factory Saiga front sight. My Vulcan cover has the base welded in two spots from inside the cover... It's adds about 10" of sight radius over the standard AK sight arrangenemt.

post-1473-1196280882_thumb.jpg

By the way, the rail is attached to the rear sight block in the front, not sure how the rear is attached. The forum I got the pic from, said Kreb's is working on something similar. Probably costly if you know Kreb's.

Hey Macbeau, are your Vucan sights in line with the stock Saiga FSB?

Yep - It was designed to work with a standard AK FSB. Works great and has windage and SR/LR "L" flip rear, but a bit pricey - mine was $98 shipped, but came welded to the top cover.

The more I look at the rail set up, it would be great for a co-witness set up!

I have an x39 with the UTG Quad-Rail and the DPHArms Beryl-Style rail mount. The difference in the two top rails is 1-2 mm, well within the adjustments of any BUIS set. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of the "chicom" knock-offs soon.

post-4394-1196313650_thumb.jpg

I also have an "L-shaped" or low mount for the fake Aimpoint coming from HK. With that addition co-witnessing should be great. I'm also hoping that w/ the low mount, I can lose the cheek rest. We'll see. . .

Edited by Ax-Man
ax-man do you have any pics w/o the red dot and the lower vert grip or rail covers i want to put all that stuff on my ak and wondering what it looks like w/o all the rail stuff

No, but I'll have it up shortly. . .

Ask and ye shall receive. . .

post-4394-1196314392_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ax-Man

To use the UTG rails, you must replace the gas tube w/ an AKM, etc. tube and grind down the RGB area to match the Saiga. Or, just buy it from Dinzag and be done w/it! Also, you can over tighten the 4 x screws that clamp the upper and lower pieces together. When tightened down fully, the gas piston binds in the gas tube. . .

• 3 months later...